Photo

I've Joined The Club- Silver 2001 Vx220 Tinkering Project.

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#1 karlb123

karlb123

• PipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:Actual NPC engineer.

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:20 PM

After a drive down from Northampton, ironically passing a Lotus Elise, I met up with Rennywuk and got blown away by his Black VX sitting shiny on the drive.

This was first time seeing a VX in the flesh and the first thing that struck me was I am way taller than/can see right over the roof! Having been used to standard/taller cars it was fun.

Renny took  me on a VX tour showing me what to look out for and after a chat we went for a drive so I could see what the car was like...just screamed race car when sitting inside...small window screen bum skimming the ground below!

Posted Image

The drive was amazing and Renny's car is in fine form, none of the major scary noises too speak off. And after a blast about (my cousin following behind in a Scooby- commented he couldn't keep up when we pulled away) we went off to see a well known Silver VX NA that has been through the wars a bit in the past (and most of you would know as OllyJ's and Ssymes007's former owned car)....

Checked the car out, I had requested the car not be started as I wanted to start it from cold and listen, just before we pulled up we saw the car being pushed out by the guys...I feared the worst until I recall my cold engine request and the dealer said he wanted to keep his word. Fair play. It was important to hear the engine from cold, through warm up to warmed up to listen for any noises there may of been.

Engine sounded fine, nice exhaust too! The Alloys (turbo ones) in good condition, the body work not bad few paint scuffs here and there but nothing a day with my cousin and his friend in a spray booth won't solve. I am fully aware that the car has had both clams changed at least once in its life time, but the repairs on the outside appear to be fine and nothing untoward could be seen. I had also done a fair bit of investigatory work on here looking at pictures of the wrecked car and its repair on the front in a gallery of the photos....

In my mind there was some risk here, not being able to see under the clam and I decided to factor this in if and when negotiation stage came....

All being well with the prelim visuals and engine warmed up and sounding ok, me and Renny took it out for a drive, Renny was driving as I wanted his opinion of how the car compared to his own. This was an interesting experiment as Renny has only ever driven his own VX before so was keen to see how they compared....

I am sure Renny will pop along and add his findings but he commented it seems a bit faster.... Renny wants to supercharge now ;-) we concluded this could be down to some of the mods that have been done (which reminds meSsymes007 & OllyJ you have a PM from me re paper work and a comment you made saying you have a fair bit if anyone bought the car!!) other than that, no issues to report. No engine mount noises, was a good test drive and me and Renny put it through its paces.

Back again, had a final look over the car and got down to business, the car was up for £7450 CAT D, 48k miles 13-14 years old and a service history covering that period with mainly Vauxhall dealership stamps. It had 4 new tyres on and has had the wire in the roof repaired before going on sale.

Knowing roughly what the car owed the dealer (This was Ssymes007 part ex around 1-2 weeks ago) I went in with a cheeky lowball of £5900 knowing it wouldn't be accepted. The dealer was mmm-ing and ahh-ing saying he had a lot of interest (too be fair, later after the deal was done we looked at his listing stats on ebay and autotrader and the car was getting a lot of attention and there was one other guy looking from Northern Ireland but I pipped him to the post) anyway dealer wasn't sounding keen and he wanted around £7000 odd and then we talked about Renny's which isn't a CAT D and when purchased 2 years ago cost less than what the dealer was asking and also has 20,000 more miles. I also mentioned that there is a risk I am taking not knowing the quality of the front end damage repair and also my cousin pipping in re the tatty bits of paint work and the cost it will take to bring up to a standard I would like (the paint is fine, no bubbles just a scuff here and then and it would be totally fine and could be lived with but I have the means to a cost effective spray repair via cousin so makes sense to use it)

Anyway I said £6500, the dealer said meet me at £6650 as I can see you are keen on the car. Said yes, shook his hand.

Now the pleasant twist...in the boot was a spare front headlamp in great condition.....and I know they are worth a few quid so we could just say I got the car for less than £6500 once I've sold the headlamp on!

First time I drove the car was on the long trip home, went to petrol station and added another 15L and the tank was full....so a nice amount of petrol already for free! And as the prices are fallen I treated the car to the dearer type of petrol for the first fill up!

Drive home was amazing, lots of heads turning and the car really does drive well... so much power!!

More to follow.....

MINE YAY :-)

Posted Image

And home.

Posted Image

Edited by karlb123, 24 January 2015 - 10:30 PM.

#2 myles

myles

Sausagefest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:26 PM

Made up for you, and so glad the green machine was discounted!

#3 Potatoes

Potatoes

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:30 PM

Awesome Karl, looks like you made a great choice with the support of Renny!

#4 Rudy

Rudy

ZZZzzzzz.....

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:36 PM

Soooo.....did Renny show off his new horn then? And his neon undercarriage? Good buy, hope you'll have a long ownership and take care of it thumbsup

#5 VX220BOB

VX220BOB

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:38 PM

It looks good and it looks better with the black screen surround.

#6 karlb123

karlb123

• PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:52 PM

Soooo.....did Renny show off his new horn then? And his neon undercarriage? Good buy, hope you'll have a long ownership and take care of it thumbsup

Bugger, the button was right in front of me as well!! Next time I will hear it Renny!

No didn't see neons? Saw some internal lighting though, I may embark on a little here and there myself.

Thanks and yes I shall do.

Just writing a list of project tasks and bits and bobs to do!

#7 karlb123

karlb123

• PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:53 PM

It looks good and it looks better with the black screen surround.

It really does! Thanks

Up close looking a little tatty. Options are get professional vinyl fitted, option 2 cousin sprays it!

#8 karlb123

karlb123

• PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:54 PM

Renny was really helpful on all fronts! Thanks again Renny!

#9 chez

chez

• PipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:Cars, music, DJing, football, cricket, golf....... The stars

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:18 PM

Nice 1, when you wanna meet up then? Haha

#10 karlb123

karlb123

• PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:27 PM

Haha if roads dry tomorrow and I've got the jobs done im supposed to at home maybe tomorrow? Haha

#11 chez

chez

• PipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:36 PM

Could meet up sometime in the afternoon, let me know

#12 karlb123

karlb123

• PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:38 PM

Ill drop you a PM! Depends how long it takes to sort shed out.....very important and I need a place to sort all my tools back out now theyll have a use!

#13 chez

chez

• PipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:45 PM

No worries

#14 Renny

Renny

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:54 PM

It was a pleasure and good to drive another vx (even if it was a bit quicker than mine!) I keep thinking of things we didn't check; alarm, whether there was an extra key and fob, the horn, shocks etc. Despite this I think you've got a solid car which won't take much to get to pristeen condition. We'll defo have to meet up - there are some good piston head Sunday services worth keeping an eye out for. Welcome to the Vx family Karl. Would add the org group hug smiley thing but on my iPad. cheers Renny Will also make sure you get to hear the horn next time :)

#15 karlb123

karlb123

• PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:17 AM

It was a pleasure and good to drive another vx (even if it was a bit quicker than mine!) I keep thinking of things we didn't check; alarm, whether there was an extra key and fob, the horn, shocks etc. Despite this I think you've got a solid car which won't take much to get to pristeen condition. We'll defo have to meet up - there are some good piston head Sunday services worth keeping an eye out for. Welcome to the Vx family Karl. Would add the org group hug smiley thing but on my iPad. cheers Renny Will also make sure you get to hear the horn next time :)

I had a look in wheel arches where I could at the yellow shocks. I haven't tested horn or alarm. No extra key, are they coded? I could just get one cut off not?

Yeah seems solid to me!

Thanks Renny, lll make sure I get a different tune horn to you ;-)

#16 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:05 AM

yes the keys are coded so you can get one cut but it wont start the car you need to plug in an op-com and register the key to the car.

Yellow shocks are standard.. Make sure the lower mount is not wet, Billies have a tendency to leak

Welcome to the fold.. I might pop up for a drive in feb/march once I have sorted my own issues :glare:

#17 karlb123

karlb123

• PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:28 AM

Thanks stewy I've ordered an opcom and blank txpdr key. Do you need the security code off the business type card to achieve this?

#18 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:39 AM

yep its the emobliser code you need I think... cant remember now been a while since I did it

what one did you get as a matter of interest. most

#19 ollie2007

ollie2007

Sir drink a lot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts
  • Interests:Working on the VX ,alcohol, drunk street fighting with Rudy. life doesn't get much better than that

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:02 AM

Welcome to the forum👍👍 great colour, looks nice in pics.

#20 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:15 AM

Good stuff Sounds like a good buy At the right money All be it with a little risk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users