14 replies to this topic

#1 Steve.i.am

Steve.i.am

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Interests:Bends

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:56 PM

I've just started to get a ticking sound when cold which goes away once warmed up. Haven't verified but sounds like common cracked exhaust manifold problem. The car is an NA which has been stage 2 SC for 1.5 years. The downpipe is standard NA but with the pre-cat removed. Back box is Milltek turbo.

I'll verify that this is the issue - but assuming it is I was wondering the best option to sort it. Considerations are:

1. I want to have a go at replacing it myself preferably with the clam on

2. I don't want to have to remap (I'm on Courtenay map)

So, if I replace with an new OEM cast manifold (seems they're about £100) is it likely to crack again fairly soon? Or likely last a couple of years?

If I have to go for an aftermarket tubular one can it be replaced with the clam on, will it mate with the downpipe and will it be ok without a remap?

thanks for any help or opinions.

#2 Kieran McC

Kieran McC

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars,Track Days.

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:04 PM

Oem cast and you can stay with your present exhaust system, Tullet manifold needs new down pipes, Clam off is a easier job fitting the manifold.

#3 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:11 PM

Don't think you will get off the manifold without removing clam SC heat is to much for oem manifold,

#4 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:52 PM

You can take the manifold off with clam on. Even to fit a tullet 2.5" mani. I've not done it myself but AMD in Thurrock did mine.

#5 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:42 AM

you need to remove the downpipe cat section and then it can be swapped over, but it's extremely tight to get out and refit to say the least  :mellow:

#6 ciderbooze

ciderbooze

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • Interests:cars, fishing, beer, football.

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:31 AM

Tight but possible to fit a tullet without removing the clam. I did mine in the way vocky suggests. I seem to remember reworking the heat shield to suit also.

#7 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:11 AM

Guessing they're talking about 2.5 tullet. I can confirm its possible to donit with the 3inch mani but you need to remove the front and rear engine mounts to shift the engine forward to get enough room.

#8 Steve.i.am

Steve.i.am

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:33 AM

Cheers guys.

General impression I'm getting is that I think it'll be best if I take the clam off.

So its just a case of what manifold I put on. No prices on Tullet website - but I seem to recall > £500 for 2.5" manifold!!??

#9 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:36 AM

you need to remove the downpipe cat section and then it can be swapped over, but it's extremely tight to get out and refit to say the least  :mellow:

Quick question - can you remove the head with the clam on?

#10 myles

myles

Sausagefest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:54 AM

Cheers guys.

General impression I'm getting is that I think it'll be best if I take the clam off.

So its just a case of what manifold I put on. No prices on Tullet website - but I seem to recall > £500 for 2.5" manifold!!??

Steve,

I have an OEM that has no cracks. Vocky removed it for me less than a month ago, and it's been sat in the garage ever since. It's yours for delivery and a few beer tokens, if it gets you out of a £500 jam.

#11 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:59 AM

Quick question - can you remove the head with the clam on?

yes

#12 Steve.i.am

Steve.i.am

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:33 PM

Cheers guys.

Steve,

I have an OEM that has no cracks. Vocky removed it for me less than a month ago, and it's been sat in the garage ever since. It's yours for delivery and a few beer tokens, if it gets you out of a £500 jam.

Appreciate the offer myles - cheers. Only concern is if I'm gonna be getting clam off etc, I might be in same position in a few months down the line with a second hand OEM one.

#13 myles

myles

Sausagefest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:43 PM

Cheers guys.   General impression I'm getting is that I think it'll be best if I take the clam off.   So its just a case of what manifold I put on. No prices on Tullet website - but I seem to recall > £500 for 2.5" manifold!!??

Steve,   I have an OEM that has no cracks. Vocky removed it for me less than a month ago, and it's been sat in the garage ever since. It's yours for delivery and a few beer tokens, if it gets you out of a £500 jam.  
  Appreciate the offer myles - cheers. Only concern is if I'm gonna be getting clam off etc, I might be in same position in a few months down the line with a second hand OEM one.
Absolutely understand.

#14 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:20 PM

the precat tends to cause the std manifold to crack, so as long as thats removed the std manifold should be okay

#15 VX220BOB

VX220BOB

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:46 PM

I replaced my cracked manifold yesterday with the clam fitted. The hardest parts was removing and refitting the heat shield. When I removed the manifold nuts/screws out there was one screw left in the head (gearbox end)and trying to lower the manifold was impossible as the manifold needed to drop down at a angle to clear the water pump and the other end kept catching the screw left in. A 4hr job that could be done in 3hrs if the heat shield was not pain to remove and refit. I also replaced my Larini decat pipe for the standard spare vx pipe as a tempory stop gap, as I am going to fit a cat to the larini unless someone wants a swop for a Larini deact pipe.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users