My Repair And Improve Project - Pic Heavy

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 T VXT

T VXT

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:10 PM

As some of you might know, I had a 'little' bump with a tree a couple of months ago. The accident ended with me going head on into a tree, bang on the middle of the car. It triggered the airbag/seatbelts, I was fine and able to jump straight out.

It was late at night so couldn't see much, initially I thought it was the end of the car. I left that evening with the car being put on the back of a low loader and thought that was the and of an era.

In the light of the next day at the salvage yard, I had a look around and it looks horrible. But good news, there was no suspension damage.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I needed to get the car home and strip it down to ensure there was no chassis damage. Here's the strip down in progress

One big hole:
Posted Image

clam off
Posted Image

The rad took a lot of the impact
Posted Image

Managed to miss all of the brakes lines and servo
Posted Image

Amazingly there was no damage to chassis, which is purely luck that I hit the tree straight and in the middle, which meant the crashbox could do its job. It did it well! There was a couple of other minor scuffs to the doors and a small crack in the passenger ear.

I was never planning to sell the car, so in my ownership it has wanted for nothing. I haven't added up the cost in the last 3 years (~18k miles) but it could be 5 figures.

The car has 80k on the clock but it has a LEH engine with 25k on it. Within the last 10k it has had cambelt/pulleys, water/oil pumps, handbrake cable, side engine mounts, back and front yellow poly inserts, heavy duty helix clutch, steel flywheel, upgraded rear toe links, alternator, short belt mod, all heatshields, lightweight header tank bracket, Fez heater, fred666 carpets, slim line amp/sub.

It has the Dave Hardwick alloy airbox, big MMG turbo intake pipes and tophat, the MMG big intercooler with air guiding and outlet vent in wheel arch, recirc valve, catch tank, full 2.5 miltek.

I couldnt let it die, so it will be resurrected. So the plan is full repair and suspension refresh.

First off, need to get that crashbox off. What a horrible, time consuming job, there was a good 2 hours of peeling all the glue of after this pic

Posted Image

Then I had a very short vx

Posted Image

#2 dylan390

dylan390

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:19 PM

Have you sorted a new crashbox. Fitted mine a couple of months back. A ratchet strap from tool station is the best way, can pm you details of cheap adhesive and method but its not too arduous. Cost of new crashbox is hard to swallow though... Especially as they are rather 'dry' looking from lotus.

#3 T VXT

T VXT

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:27 PM

Next, strip the interior, replace seatbelts, air bag, airbag ecu.

Give everything a good clean, put foam tape between any parts which could rattle. Found a bit of spare change in the process

Posted Image

No wonder in could never stop all the rattles...
Posted Image

Sent the seats to DTT for bolster repair and remove the silly passenger lumber support.

Wrapped the windscreen surround, while there was easy access. I have been meaning to do this for ages.

Posted Image

Next was to get all the parts together to go to the bodyshop.

Many thanks to the orgers helping me with parts (Jonnyboy - clam, OEM rad surround and OEM crashbox, Graeme Lambert- loads of parts, LizP- loads of parts, cthomas443, Barton, kieranmcc) and turboluca for advice.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The car was dropped at the bodyshop on Friday,

Posted Image

And fixed

Posted Image

well nearly. . . .

#4 T VXT

T VXT

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:36 PM

Dylan, you were too quick. I have nearly got all the parts I require for the repair. The last part is a front undertray which might be in the post. I have gone OEM for everything, even the glue/paint stuff for the crashbox. New bolts and fixings for everything too. I'm waiting for a carbon vee and carbon turbo splitters from the groupbuy, but these can be fitted anytime.

Edited by T VXT, 12 April 2015 - 10:42 PM.

#5 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:17 PM

:thumbsup: Great work. Should be better than ever once it's all done.

#6 ollie2007

ollie2007

Sir drink a lot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts
  • Interests:Working on the VX ,alcohol, drunk street fighting with Rudy. life doesn't get much better than that

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:22 AM

Well done for keeping her and putting her back together, I know how it feels to twang the car and repair it👍👍👍👍👍

#7 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Nothing

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:24 AM

Have you check the rear subframe hasn't bent due to the engine having nowhere to go?

#8 T VXT

T VXT

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:36 AM

Yep, checked the rear subframe, engine mounting points, suspension points, no signs of stress or bending. As all the mounts were new with front/back poly inserts, it must have helped prevent some of the excess movement. If I had hit one of the chunkier parts of the crash box I would have experienced more severe deceleration. Looking at the pictures it seems silly too say, but it wasnt hard enough to damage the headlights units, they just popped out and where hanging by their wires. As it was a thin tree (~5 inches) it just cut through the front of the car.

#9 VegyBS

VegyBS

• Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:00 PM

My favourite thing you found under the seats is the paper clip tool. Everyone needs a paper clip tool.

Glad to hear you're ok and good to see you not send the car off to the graveyard just yet!

#10 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:02 PM

My favourite thing you found under the seats is the paper clip tool. Everyone needs a paper clip tool.

That's not a paper clip tool. That's a replacement starter button. :D

#11 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:21 PM

Interested about the crash box availability as there is a very nice crashed black turbo with frontal post damage sitting at BoT

#12 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:26 PM

Dylan, you were too quick. The last part is a front undertray which might be in the post.  

:blush: 

ill send it tomorrow  

#13 T VXT

T VXT

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:44 PM

Techie - the paper clip was mine from about 2 years ago, it flicked out of my fingers and disappeared into the vx abyss. And yes it was while I had the dash/starter button out. Sizten they were in stock, around a 10 day delivery time. Jonnyboy will know. Stuwy no rush I can fit the under tray anytime. It will stay off until after the suspension refresh as the arb is going to be upgraded.

#14 T VXT

T VXT

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:33 PM

All of my goodies have arrived.....

Quantum zero with progressive 220/550lb rears, 400lb fronts
1 inch ARB
ARB drop links
Track rod ends
Ball joints
Ertacetal wishbone bushes
Braided brake lines

Posted Image

and

4 new hubs (I can't leave the rusty old ones on)
drill and grooved discs
new set of M1144
and a eds inlet manifold

Posted Image

I think I have everything now :-)

#15 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:33 PM

Good on you for keeping it alive. I have some experience of crashing VXs :D

#16 myles

myles

Sausagefest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:53 AM

Good on you for keeping it alive. I have some experience of crashing VXs :D

Isn't it 'experience of crashing the same VX a few times'?

#17 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 15 April 2015 - 12:12 AM

:P

#18 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:52 AM

Great to see you getting back on your feet :) thumbsup

#19 doctorfrag

doctorfrag

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:24 PM

You give me hope, I'm rebuilding mine after a spin at Snetterton taken my 5 months so far and the damage was a lot lighter.

Great work! keep these cars alive!

Joe

#20 Kieran McC

Kieran McC

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars,Track Days.

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:35 PM

You give me hope, I'm rebuilding mine after a spin at Snetterton taken my 5 months so far and the damage was a lot lighter.

Great work! keep these cars alive!

Joe

Did Frosty`s old stage for bight back ?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users