Photo

I Come In Peace - Buying Advice Please.......

track day

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Morse

Steve Morse

• 8 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:48 PM

Hello VX220 People

I am seeking some advice from people who know the VX220.  Here is my current situation:

I have always wanted to take my own car (not a VX220!) on a track day, and managed to do so at Goodwood recently.  It was absolutely epic.  That said, despite my car being fast, it is not designed for track days and so now I am considering buying another, additional car, just for track day use.   It needs to be road legal, so one that I can drive to and from the circuit, but not for particularly regular road use otherwise. 

The VX220 seems to keep coming up as a possible solution.

I am not looking to spend megabucks and I am certainly not a driving God or DIY enthusiast so I am looking for something that is minimal hassle (if that is possible with a track day car!) and yet maximum fun.  If that combination actually exists...........

The Lotus Elise is an obvious choice but the VX220 seems to be fitting the bill increasingly and yet I have no knowledge of these cars other than the extensive reading that I have done online.  

I have read that there are many modifications available for the VX220 so I have wondered if buying an inexpensive, standard VX220 car and then choosing certain modifications, depending on the likely enhancements per pound, makes sense.

Does this thinking make any sense, and is the VX220 a good track day car for someone with my pretty basic requirements?

All advice is VERY welcome and apologies if these questions sound dim witted and naive.

Many thanks in advance

:-)

#2 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:11 AM

A VX220 NA from a well known owner on here would be your best bet for a "no hassle" track car I reckon.

#3 Harry Hornet

Harry Hornet

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:43 AM

..budget??

....a cat c or d possibly from "Turboluca" of this parish may fit the bill (if he has one), with an SC conversion to give you that extra oomph...

#4 Kieran McC

Kieran McC

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars,Track Days.

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:26 AM

Call into Back on Track near you they will help.

#5 MartinS

MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:43 AM

Am doing goodwood may 25th with Lotus on track, happy to take you out so you can see what a reasonably set up vx can do in comparison with Lotus Elisde/exiges.

Mines a supercharged car but my daughter is also on track in a lightly modified na.

Martin S

#6 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:51 AM

Ooh, Kingston upon Thames

#7 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:55 AM

Come and watch us race our VX at Brands on 17th May

#8 Steve Morse

Steve Morse

• 8 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 12:03 PM

A VX220 NA from a well known owner on here would be your best bet for a "no hassle" track car I reckon.

Thanks for all the superb and enthusiastic advice, which I am very grateful to receive.  I will certainly take up some of the offers made.

In my ongoing research I found this car, (which sadly has been sold!) that seems to match my requirements, if not exactly my budget:   clearly well looked after and maintained, low mileage, some modifications. 

http://www.vx220.org...-chrome-orange/

I suspect that this is the sort of thing that I am after, if it helps? i.e. a car that has already been carefully, (and not wildly) modified.

#9 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 26 April 2015 - 12:08 PM

It's a trap!

#10 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 12:11 PM

It's a trap!

As long as he comes on the right day it will be ok  :P  :P

#11 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 12:14 PM

http://www.vx220.org...-chrome-orange/

I suspect that this is the sort of thing that I am after, if it helps? i.e. a car that has already been carefully, (and not wildly) modified.

That car has about 10k of mods poured into it, and may not be the best example for a near standard car.

Edited by smiley, 26 April 2015 - 12:16 PM.

#12 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 26 April 2015 - 12:37 PM

A car like that orange one is a once in a blue mooner. I resold it for the correct price. It was completely immaculate and a very capable car. That car would be worth 14500 upwards now but this is top end with low miles. If you want fast and standard just buy a tidy turbo. Bullet proof 250bhp from basic mods and most are done now anyway. You'll have a battle finding a tidy one.

#13 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:01 PM

I am not looking to spend megabucks and I am certainly not a driving God or DIY enthusiast so I am looking for something that is minimal hassle (if that is possible with a track day car!) and yet maximum fun.  If that combination actually exists...........

Minimal hassle means don't get sucked into chasing power.

Buy a turbo or NA. Go to stage 2 if you want more power (SC the NA) but stop there.

Equip with some decent pads, aftermarket suspension, lightweight wheels, semi slicks and a beefy ARB * and you'll be thrashing most Lotus's all day long. And still drive home at the end.

* the more of these mods you can get with the car in the first place the better

Edited by WrightStuff, 26 April 2015 - 05:01 PM.

#14 vpsteve

vpsteve

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:petrolhead - 2 and 4 wheels - mostly 2 wheeled BMW's and 4W Porsche ......(:-))

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:06 PM

Hi mate 

personal experience having done this in january and then a couple of trackdays with Lotus LoT.... I'm a rallycross man by past experience going back to trackways in my old age 

What I did - bought a standard NA car with 15000 miles and after spending a lot of time talking to courtenay sport in Norfolk - great people and wealth of advice got them to change wheels and tyres (lots of debate but I settled on 16 front and 17 back) geo to exige road settings, induction system and filter, and stage 2 mapping, some nylon bushes for engine transmission and suspension, replaced aluminium suspension mounts, ABS switch (disable for track - its crap), Mintex 111pads all round, service and rolling road. Kept standard exhaust and billy (factory standard) suspension. Power up from 146 to 162 BHP ...driveability and torques massively improved  Cost about £2300.

Track days were brilliant car handled faultlessly

What I might have done and maybe still will? Exhaust, but open exhaust is not something I fancy - too much grief from noisemeters and neighbours . I have a liking for KW suspension but theres not a lot wrong with the factory ones if in good nick. DONT go cheap aftermarket. Supercharger - but then you start on the sllippery investment trail - forever playing catch up with suspension traction control etc etc ....and to be honest you need to match spec to ambition/ability

Shame you missed the orange car - looked a peach - this is always the issue - buy a sorted car and its cheaper ....if you can trust it ....the perennial question.

I'm sure others will have same and conflicting evidence so don't take my word for it ............

I work in Sunbury if you want to meet up - not there often though so would need to plan ahead

cheers steve 

#15 GFWilliams

GFWilliams

• PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:18 AM

Not sure if you've been out in a vx before... I'll have mine back from the 8th May, you're more than welcome to come over (Reigate) and have a look and we could go out for a drive

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: track day

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users