70 replies to this topic

#1 TazN

TazN

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Airsoft, American Football, Cars

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:23 AM

After having my windscreen develop a rather large crack in it I've contacted autoglass about getting a replacement fitted. They do not have one in stock and have ordered one from Lotus, they haven't been able to give me an eta, what sort of time can I expect from past experiences?

It's already been a week and have a car limits day in 2 weeks time which I really don't want to miss :(

#2 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:34 AM

Try essex autosport , they can supply heated ws and fit , then give that quote to your insurance company

http://www.essexautosport.com/

#3 Stevie Dubyah

Stevie Dubyah

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • Interests:Invasive Operations

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:34 AM

Taz - If you go down that route, please could you let me know how much that is?

Cheers

Steve

#4 karlb123

karlb123

• PipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:Actual NPC engineer.

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:42 AM

Hi Stevie,

Just done this myself through autoglass via insurance so only £75.00. Going privately for heated screen and billing insurance for me wasn't an option...in my policy small print it states that if you go outside of the approved window screen cover supplier network then after your £75 excess is deducted Admiral will only contribute £50.00. Given a heated screen is about £250 without VAT, without delivery or fitting...this just wasnt an option...yes I could of paid for it and then challenge the insurer but I cannot be out of pocket if they only decided to pay £50.

I contacted them bank holiday weekend 2nd May (Saturday) and after a lot of disappointment finally getting a screen fitted on 25th Bank hol monday! 

I had phoned up to chase them up and the advisor said they are waiting to hear from Vauxhall....it was this point I told them a lotus screen will actually fit and they responded "oh that must be the other part number".... even after that and more delay when they said they are trying to source the glass through their sister company (I laid it on that this is my only car and the crack has actually grown in size etc and their service has been disapointing) I gave them the details for Ricky Evans motorsport as I know he does screens...especially heated ones ;-)

I assume Autoglass finally got hold of a lotus screen. Least hopefully the surround will be black and replace the old one which someone did a p*ss poor job of spraying!

Edited by karlb123, 22 May 2015 - 09:46 AM.

#5 TazN

TazN

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Airsoft, American Football, Cars

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:34 AM

Well I will be contacting Autoglass again today, they never called me back yesterday. Will push for an ETA, if it's a few weeks I may try some other routes but like Karl I don't want to be massively out of pocket as I'm really not bothered about a heated screen.

When I booked it in I specifically told them that it would be cheaper and quicker to get a lotus screen in as they are the same, so fingers crossed I dont get fed bs when I call them...

#6 karlb123

karlb123

• PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:25 PM

They said they would call me back about 4 occasions over the last 3 weeks...they failed on all of them!

#7 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Nothing

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:45 PM

Make sure you let them know whether you want a silver or black surround, otherwise they'll likely turn up with the wrong colour.....

#8 Rudy

Rudy

ZZZzzzzz.....

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:52 PM

Don't blame you guys going for the cheaper option, but I'd still be tempted from a "while your down there" sort of perspective and get a heated one.

#9 Kieran McC

Kieran McC

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars,Track Days.

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:30 PM

I went  to Autoglass to see about a new screen the depot has now shut pain

#10 Stevie Dubyah

Stevie Dubyah

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • Interests:Invasive Operations

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:55 PM

Don't blame you guys going for the cheaper option, but I'd still be tempted from a "while your down there" sort of perspective and get a heated one.

My thinking exactly. It's the sort of mod that can make the car a lot more usable.

All this talk of large, spreading cracks and "while you're down there" has turned this into the sexiest thread of the day, I reckon. 

Happy weekend.

#11 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 22 May 2015 - 03:42 PM

All this talk of large, spreading cracks and "while you're down there" has turned this into the sexiest thread of the day, I reckon. 

Happy weekend.

You thinking of wolfie again?  :sick:

#12 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 04:47 PM

Harry, Ipswich branch took 10 days for mine last Sept

#13 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:46 PM

Make sure you have the hardtop fitted when you get the new screen fitted.

#14 Phear

Phear

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:34 PM

I've been waiting since the end of April for my replacement windscreen from Autoglass. I was told one was in stock after a couple of weeks and an appointment was booked for Tuesday just gone, then nobody turned up and when I called them apparently there was a stock issue again. Called twice since, no call back. Getting exceptionally annoyed now.

#15 chez

chez

• PipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:Cars, music, DJing, football, cricket, golf....... The stars

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:40 PM

"Autoglass repair, Autoglass......................."

#16 VX220BOB

VX220BOB

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:00 PM

When they turn up they will bring the S1 screen, then the silver surround screen , then the black S2 screen as this happened to me and two mates cars and Autoglass were told which one was required from the 1st phone call. I heard recently that you can not get the silver surround screen anymore.

#17 karlb123

karlb123

• PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:35 PM

Ill keep everyone posted with what happens

#18 Renny

Renny

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:00 PM

I had mine done by autoglass and told them I wanted the exige black surround one. They came within a week. Be sure to check they have done one before as it is quite involved (loosening and moving the front clam slightly). I have no complaints.

#19 Glassman

Glassman

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:39 AM

A couple of points to note about the heated screens. Firstly, there is no 'OE' heated screen for this car so it would be seen as 'betterment', or an upgrade, and secondly the black/silver moulding does not come on the heated screens and is not a separate part. Whilst it is not inconceivable to remove an existing one, it is extremely tricky as they are injection moulded, encapsulating the screen during manufacture.

#20 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Nothing

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:48 AM

and secondly the black/silver moulding does not come on the heated screens and is not a separate part. Whilst it is not inconceivable to remove an existing one, it is extremely tricky as they are injection moulded, encapsulating the screen during manufacture.

If you get the screens directly from Ricky Evans then they don't have the moulding and cost ~£300. If you get them from essex autosport I believe they have the facility to add a new moulding, however they are more in the region of £500.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users