21 replies to this topic

#1 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:04 AM

Anyone got any experience of these ownership wise?  I went and test drove one at the weekend and was very impressed with the GB & power delivery etc.  Didn't get a chance to really rag it about as I had traffic to contend with but initial impressions are great.

The gearbox is sublime.  And monsterously quick in Race mode (150 millisecond changes).  The average time it takes a human to blink is about 100 to 200 milliseconds...!

Anyway, hopefully should be picking up in September, so if anyone wants a cheap winter shed around then I should have one for sale!

#2 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:09 AM

Have they changed the gearbox on them? I thought the general consensus was it was a terrible attempt at a dual clutch setup with bad ratios and even worse changes. :unsure:

#3 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 12:24 PM

Have they changed the gearbox on them? I thought the general consensus was it was a terrible attempt at a dual clutch setup with bad ratios and even worse changes. :unsure:

Bingo.

It's the box that lets these down. Robin, I suspect you'll tire of it pretty quickly.

If you must have an auto hot hatch, presumably for ease of use/commuting etc I'd suggest you look at a DSG Golf GTI. Otherwise seek out a late RSport Clio 197/200 with the excellent N/A engine and manual box

G

#4 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 12:28 PM

hmmm, I drove it for some time and found the GB to be as smooth if not smoother than the VW DSGs... perhaps they have updated the software?

I don't want a Golf.  I find them bland and far far too common...

ETA auto is a must so rules out previous iterations...

Edited by TheRealVXed, 15 June 2015 - 12:30 PM.

#5 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Nothing

Posted 15 June 2015 - 12:59 PM

I'd rather spend my money on an ~18 month old BMW 335i with the DSG box or the 335d with the auto box (too much torque for DSG).

Both come with flappy paddles and more power and comfort than the clio could hope for..

#6 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:02 PM

I did consider these.  Drove a 335d auto to the south of france a few years ago.  Hated the the auto box.  Found it slow and dim witted.  Also 3 series is too big and for a daily I just don't want the german maintenance costs....

Graham, I have just been doing some reading and they changed the 'box logic for the Trophy, do you think some of this tinkering carried over to the regular 200 as the CO2 drops and torque increases did this year....

#7 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 02:34 PM

I'd rather spend my money on an ~18 month old BMW 335i with the DSG box or the 335d with the auto box (too much torque for DSG). Both come with flappy paddles and more power and comfort than the clio could hope for..

Only problem there is that they are BMWs😉

#8 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:20 AM

I did consider these.  Drove a 335d auto to the south of france a few years ago.  Hated the the auto box.  Found it slow and dim witted.  Also 3 series is too big and for a daily I just don't want the german maintenance costs....

Graham, I have just been doing some reading and they changed the 'box logic for the Trophy, do you think some of this tinkering carried over to the regular 200 as the CO2 drops and torque increases did this year....

It's possible,

still be surprised if it made enough of a difference. 

BTW, got your PM, have my thinking cap on...

#9 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:05 AM

It's possible,

still be surprised if it made enough of a difference. 

BTW, got your PM, have my thinking cap on...

Thanks mate thumbsup :)

The one I test drove was a late reg'd 64 plate.  I didn't find a problem with any sluggishness in the box or anything like that (apart from the usual hesitation with an auto of that type when pulling away first off).  In fact, the changes were almost imperceivable in "normal", in "race" mode however they were noticeably faster with virtually no delay between pulling the paddle and the next gear being selected....   Been doing a bit more research and it seems that Renault tend to keep these things under the radar (presumably to avoid people demanding the upgrades to their already purchased cars?)

One other thing though, you do have to pull the paddle a little further than I would like to change gear... perhaps there is a way to change their resting position... hmmmm 

#10 Bootdog

Bootdog

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:49 AM

I do like DSG it's really good in the TT. does this have a learning function? if not it will probably seem dimwitted at times too.

#11 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:09 PM

So I picked her up on Saturday.  Initial impressions are good!

Driving wise I haven't really had much of a change to test it properly as only been in London so far, but.....

It's quick, revs quickly, can feel a bit breathless at the top and a bit gutless at the bottom, but it's easy to keep it in the sweet spot.  The GB can be a little erratic in traffic in auto mode, but plonking it into manual sorts this.  Or you can put it in sport so it will hold gears a bit longer, however this makes the throttle a little too sensitive at the top of its travel.  The changes are seriously quick though, especially in sport or race mode (definitely quicker that I can change gear!) but I can see where people say that taking the manual away detracts from the experience.  Personally, I couldn't care less if I have 2 or 3 peddles as long as the gearbox is a peach.

Haven't really had a chance to test the handling out yet, but will be getting somewhere fast and twisty at the weekend....

[color=#ff0000;]For those of you that got bored reading, overall the car is fantastic.  A great place to be, and quick and nimble. thumbsup[/color]

Edited by TheRealVXed, 29 June 2015 - 01:10 PM.

#12 Stevie Dubyah

Stevie Dubyah

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • Interests:Invasive Operations

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:31 PM

Sweep-stake:

Option a. Robin gets sick of this "gutless...breathless...erratic...too sensitive" yet "fantastic" little car by Christmas. Pays out at 3/1

Option b. Robin doesn't get the chance to get sick of it as the trick gearbox breaks because it's a Renault. Pays out at even money

In car matters - heed the Lambert who hails from the North, for he is wise.

#13 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 03:16 PM

Sweep-stake:

Option a. Robin gets sick of this "gutless...breathless...erratic...too sensitive" yet "fantastic" little car by Christmas. Pays out at 3/1

Option b. Robin doesn't get the chance to get sick of it as the trick gearbox breaks because it's a Renault. Pays out at even money

In car matters - heed the Lambert who hails from the North, for he is wise.

Genuine smile on my face at this one, which considering its the hottest day of the year and our office A/C is broken (again), is saying something.

I reckon option a) but I may not have driven the revised g/box. Last time I drove one was November 2013 to be fair, where I said

[color=rgb(64,64,64);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:1.3em;]"While the previous Renaultsport Clio boasted a naturally aspirated engine endowed with a turbo-like thrust, the new car uses forced induction to create a linear power delivery not unlike the larger endowed [/color]RenaultSport Megane[color=rgb(64,64,64);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:1.3em;]. In a straight line it doesn’t feel as fast as the figures (0-62mph takes only 6.7 seconds) suggest, but that’s mainly down to the automatic gearbox.[/color]

The six ratios are too widely spaced and the long gearing feels at odds with this car’s frenetic purpose. Selecting Sport or Race mode does little to help – it simply holds the ratios for far too long – but knocking the lever into manual improves things.

Swapping cogs via the steering column-mounted paddles is also a step in the right direction, but we wish they were either longer or pivoted with the wheel as reaching for the next ratio while cornering often results in fumbling fingers and a nudged rev-limiter.

Minor disappointments about the drivetrain aside, the RenaultSport Clio’s chassis is fantastic, and any apparent lack of pace or power disappears at the first corner. The steering could do with a little more feel, but grip is strong and reactions are razor sharp.

Enthusiastic drivers, with the safety aids switched off, can back off the throttle mid bend to entice the rear end into play as it swings around to tighten the corner. Easily controllable, this throttle adjustability is a real highlight, and the harder you drive this car the more it rewards.  

Mixed with a supple motorway ride it makes an impressive all-round combination."

So overall it's not a shitter or anything, in fact it's really rather good.

That said, I've just today arranged delivery of my (well Naomi's) Ford Fiesta ST-3 Mountune, which was my old long-term test car. It arrives on Wednesday, and I'm almost as excited about this as the 458 Speciale I have for the weekend. :lol:

#14 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 03:49 PM

:lol: Thanks Steve, but I'll definitely be keeping this a bit longer than that!  In terms of reliability, I haven't read anywhere that the GB is a weak link, but I haven't searched that hard...  They weren't necessarily complaints about the car though, just things I noticed. I'm sure I'll get used to it :)

I can see what you mean about the paddles though Graeme.  I guess you get used to them the more you drive the car until I'll get in the VX and reach for a paddle that isn't there..... :lol:

#15 Bootdog

Bootdog

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:01 AM

steering wheel mounted paddles are no use once you go beyond half a turn of lock ...

I guess you get used to them the more you drive the car until I'll get in the VX and reach for a paddle that isn't there..... :lol:

Yep, I'm guilty of this!

#16 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:38 PM

Quick update.  Had the car for 18 months now, love it, butttttt.......

Just put the deposit down on one of these... In the yellow as well....  Can wait until it's ready in May.  Ready for a :flame: haha

#17 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:41 PM

TBH I was expecting a far worse car when I clicked the link Robin....I thought it'd be a Fiat or some such :lol:

Good to see you're still enjoying it. I'm yet to try the 220 having driven/owned all of the previous RS variants. They are certainly not a common site on the road.

#18 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:20 PM

Chav

#19 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:20 PM

The gearbox in our 140i is amazing. its the 8 speed ZF box that goes in everything these days. lovely and smooth in comfort, brutal in sport and mental in sport+

How did you get on with the box in the end?

#20 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:23 PM

How did you get on with the box in the end?

He means the gear box Robin :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users