MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 03 July 2015 - 07:55 AM

My car is leaking like a sieve and I am unable to drive it properly but no one seems to have these things. Can anyone help.

Ideally Back on track can fit it but they don't have any.

Martin S

#2 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:15 AM

My car is leaking like a sieve and I am unable to drive it properly but no one seems to have these things. Can anyone help.

Ideally Back on track can fit it but they don't have any.

Martin S

What about the guy from the group buy - doesn't he have some available martin?

If not I'm sure some, like me, have bought more than they needed so there will be some spares. If desperate I can probably post out to you but maybe there'll be someone closer to you or BOT that can simply drop them off?

#3 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:24 AM

can anybody please help Martin, these are required very urgently  thumbsup

#4 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:36 AM

Where is the car right now Neil? I have some extras I can give him/you maybe?

#5 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:41 AM

Is anything being done about this situation? These rings often get damaged during a filter change and a damaged one can result in a sizable oil leak.

#6 MartinS

MartinS

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:03 PM

I'm in west sussex, but if anyone can get one to Back on track that would be great.

So far Back on track have tried courtnays, Autovaux and Vauxhall and there are none. They are now trying Lotus.

Martin

#7 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:14 PM

I'm in west sussex, but if anyone can get one to Back on track that would be great.

So far Back on track have tried courtnays, Autovaux and Vauxhall and there are none. They are now trying Lotus.

Martin

Martin,

I'm happy to post my spare pair (I assume you need two) from the group buy to BOT but I can't do that until tomorrow morning at the earliest - annoyingly I only took them home from work a day or two ago so could've posted them today had I not. Hopefully someone else can come to your rescue before then, but if not let me know tonight and I'll sort in the morning for you.

#8 chappers2000

chappers2000

• PipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Interests:Sports cars; kit cars, mountain biking

Posted 03 July 2015 - 01:40 PM

Martin

you won't get any from any of those. Lotus confirmed the part number and confimed they are not getting any more made.

Best bet is if someone has some spare originals or from the latest group buy using gaskets made from graphite or something.

Mat Jackson got the latest seals manufactured. Not sure if he still has some.

Edited by chappers2000, 03 July 2015 - 01:43 PM.

#9 MartinS

MartinS

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 03 July 2015 - 01:54 PM

anyone tried the speedster forum, what do they do abroad for the opel speedsters

martin s

#10 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 01:55 PM

wrong forum

Edited by Sutol, 03 July 2015 - 01:56 PM.

#11 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 01:58 PM

anyone tried the speedster forum, what do they do abroad for the opel speedsters

Tuneconcept.de has had reproductions made. He received samples of them end of may this year. Not sure of they are in full prodcution and for sale yet, or still in testing fase. http://forum.opel-sp...=0

Martin Arnet.

info@tuneconcept.de

#12 Mr Apex

Mr Apex

• PipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:Karting, climbing, skiing, boxing, cycling

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:01 PM

My experience so far with this - the replacement gaskets from Mat are fragile, but work OK. However, access to tighten the assembly down is so limited, particularly on SC cars, that it is impossible to get sufficient torque applied to the tool that I used. I ended up having to tighten the oil filter cap down hard in order to tighten the lower assembly up and stop leaks. My plan is to develop the ChippyFA tool by turning it into a socket with a half inch drive on top. Then I can finally get it tightened down properly.

#13 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:54 AM

Martin, my comment would be to consider changing to the Saab oil cooler. It doesn't require a sandwich plate, and has other advantages too (it's new, so less likely to fail, and is actually mounted to something unlike the VX cooler). This means that, going forward, you don't need to worry about sourcing out of production seals.

#14 ciderbooze

ciderbooze

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • Interests:cars, fishing, beer, football.

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:19 PM

Anyone got dimensions of the originals? Saab cooler sounds like a plan for long term fix but I'm about to have an oil change and getting nervous.

#15 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 08 July 2015 - 03:04 PM

instant gasket....

#16 Madmitch

Madmitch

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 04:51 PM

Anyone got dimensions of the originals? Saab cooler sounds like a plan for long term fix but I'm about to have an oil change and getting nervous.

This won't help sort your immediate problem but I have just started talking to two companies who make metallic gaskets to see if it is viable to reproduce the originals or suggest something they think might do a better job.  Have spoken to Mat Jackson to make sure he is happy, I don't want to intrude into his invaluable project and he has very kindly given me the green light so I will hopefully be sending off details to both makers this week and will post details of progress.  FYI the dimensions of the originals are (and apologies for mixing metric and imperial) o/d 85mm, i/d 75mm.  The thickness is 15 thou where flat, 19 thou over the raised rib and I can't offhand remember the distance the rib is inset from the inner edge but about 1mm is approximate, I'll try to measure if you need that dimension.  Hope that help, more in due course.    

#17 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 04:56 PM

Tuneconcept.de has had reproductions made. He received samples of them end of may this year. Not sure of they are in full prodcution and for sale yet, or still in testing fase. http://forum.opel-sp...=0

Martin Arnet.

info@tuneconcept.de

He updated that his are still in testing fase on the german forum yesterday.

#18 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 04:57 PM

It was actually the O ring on the lid which was leaking, I am trying to buy a batch as they are not available from the dealers.

71mm x 65mm x 3mm - O ring

#19 ciderbooze

ciderbooze

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • Interests:cars, fishing, beer, football.

Posted 08 July 2015 - 05:03 PM

This won't help sort your immediate problem but I have just started talking to two companies who make metallic gaskets to see if it is viable to reproduce the originals or suggest something they think might do a better job.  Have spoken to Mat Jackson to make sure he is happy, I don't want to intrude into his invaluable project and he has very kindly given me the green light so I will hopefully be sending off details to both makers this week and will post details of progress.  FYI the dimensions of the originals are (and apologies for mixing metric and imperial) o/d 85mm, i/d 75mm.  The thickness is 15 thou where flat, 19 thou over the raised rib and I can't offhand remember the distance the rib is inset from the inner edge but about 1mm is approximate, I'll try to measure if you need that dimension.  Hope that help, more in due course.    
Thanks just what I needed. Good luck.

#20 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 05:40 PM

It was actually the O ring on the lid which was leaking, I am trying to buy a batch as they are not available from the dealers.

71mm x 65mm x 3mm - O ring

Noticed the one that came with the filter was too big. So cut a section out and made it the right size.

We have loctite o ring sets at work which are just lengths of rubber and you cut to size, stuck with superglue. No leaks for me :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users