• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,034 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:52 PM

That sounds about right.... I do recall the Caterpillar brand being mentioned.

#42 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:53 PM

These were supplied to GM by Lotus.  My friend at lotus called the original manufacturer to see if they would make more but no joy unless we order stupendous amounts.  I believe they are made from aluminium wire which is rolled to make it flat with the raised bit and then copper coated and teflon coated.

Can we not 'just' drill and tap the oil filter housing for the two connections that are in the sandwich plate?

#43 gertje

gertje

• PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:56 PM

What are the Numbers of stupendous amouts? I think if a few people in every country by a number of these oil seals to distribute for the whole country is may by possible

Edited by gertje, 21 July 2015 - 04:56 PM.

#44 Madmitch

Madmitch

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:57 PM

These were supplied to GM by Lotus.  My friend at lotus called the original manufacturer to see if they would make more but no joy unless we order stupendous amounts.  I believe they are made from aluminium wire which is rolled to make it flat with the raised bit and then copper coated and teflon coated.

Can we not 'just' drill and tap the oil filter housing for the two connections that are in the sandwich plate?

I think they are made from copper, then aluminium plated and the PTFE coated, this is to ensure that there is no contact between the copper and the aluminium of the filter housing as this raises corrosion issues.  Did I read somewhere that the Dutch VX chaps had done just what you suggest, drilled and tapped the filter housing? 

#45 Tony H

Tony H

Lotus on Crack

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Interests:Serbian turbo-folk

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:14 PM

Yes you did http://www.vx220.org...s/#entry1741496

#46 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:55 AM

I think they are made from copper, then aluminium plated and the PTFE coated, this is to ensure that there is no contact between the copper and the aluminium of the filter housing as this raises corrosion issues. 

That sounds more like it. 

Afew 100k were needed on an order.

Personally I think this is a more realistic, long term solution.  It just needs a way of doing it in place without getting swarf in the engine.  Might have to play a bit.  If it's just 2 M12 tapped holes it shouldn't be too hard.

#47 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 09:56 AM

Anyone know what the thread size is?

#48 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:12 AM

Or you can mod the Z22SE filter housing to retain the Z22SE oil cooler layout...

pics (Belgium Speedster guy)  : 

Edit; pics not allowed here, so check this => http://speedsterclub...cd63f&start=120

2 x M12 threads and done. :happy:

Anyone know what the thread size is?

#49 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:13 AM

I'd guess M12 but things are never usually that simple.  My thought was to strip out the filter, bung up the housing, make a drill jig to ensure you dont wobble!, drill, tap, hoover out the pot, refit, done.

#50 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:54 AM

I'd guess M12 but things are never usually that simple.  My thought was to strip out the filter, bung up the housing, make a drill jig to ensure you dont wobble!, drill, tap, hoover out the pot, refit, done.

I know M12 but what pitch, 1, 1.25, 1.5?. As you say a rag down there with a vac running whilst drilling should be fine. I change the oil and filter after each half hour quali and 1 hr race so I cant be doing with trying to seal the sandwich plate everytime without new rings. I've got a shagged engine in the lock up so I'm going to have a practice on that.

#51 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:30 AM

Ah yes, the thread might be in the epc.

#52 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:05 PM

AFAIK original threads for the oil hose adapters on the Z22SE are coarse M12x1.75 which is a common 'bolt' thread but not very common for adapters/hoses.

Also after drilling and tapping these holes don't forget to install the spring-loaded oil diverter in the filter housing (also photos on the speedsterclub thread a little lower), otherwise the oil won't go through the cooler but uses the normal oil gallery inside the block.

Bye, Arno.

#53 Mat Jackson

Mat Jackson

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:44 AM

I've been away with work recently so not been able to progress anymore graphite gaskets, but just a quick question before I get on with anymore. Is there any concern with using the graphite ones over the originals? I can keep getting these, but don't want to commit to too many of people want the originals instead. From my point of view I prefer the graphite ones as they seal at a lower sealing stress so are much easier to seat.

#54 Madmitch

Madmitch

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:45 AM

Update on prototype gaskets as promised.  Have received the first batch of prototypes comprising four different gaskets, two different thicknesses in graphite on a stainless mesh and two in different types and thicknesses in PTFE.  This company felt, like all the others, that the original spec of gasket would be tricky to make and that there were other materials available that would be at least as good if not better hence the different materials.  These will be going off to BoT for track testing later this week, more in due course.

#55 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:18 PM

Update on prototype gaskets as promised.  Have received the first batch of prototypes comprising four different gaskets, two different thicknesses in graphite on a stainless mesh and two in different types and thicknesses in PTFE.  This company felt, like all the others, that the original spec of gasket would be tricky to make and that there were other materials available that would be at least as good if not better hence the different materials.  These will be going off to BoT for track testing later this week, more in due course.

So

My car is leaking oil and Mat is out of stock

Any idea what has happened regarding the above before I start looking at alternates?

#56 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:39 AM

I've got some of Mats here Jules if you want to use these and then replace when Mat has some in stock?

#57 Madmitch

Madmitch

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:41 AM

We settled on the Graphite on Stainless mesh in the end as this gave the best 'feel' on the spanner although all the prototypes performed faultlessly under test.  The first batch went into production last May and can be bought from Back on Track, Jon Seal, QMech and Phoenix Motorsport.  Please PM me if you are having problems with this.  

#58 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:39 PM

Respect to Chris for the offer here...

There has been some dialogue in the background between me, Mitch (mike) and others regarding the gaskets

All good news though, this community is fcuking great  thumbsup

I would suggest, given the seeming outcome, that Madmitch starts a new thread to clear up where the gaskets are available from

Respect to Mat either way as well. I'm not 100% what was agreed with Mat/Mike but Mat (and Mike) deserve a massive applause and appreciation for sorting this out for us

Over to you guys then . From my meagre googling over the last few days this is the  only vx/speedster thread of any help

/beer

#59 Madmitch

Madmitch

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:33 AM

Thanks Jules, kind words and much appreciated.

Huge credit to Mat though, who has kept the entire VX community afloat when there was no other source of supply and who has very generously allowed me to step into his marketplace without any suggestion that it was his territory.  Thank you Mat, much appreciated too.

I need to speak to my manufacturers on Monday as it is almost a year since the first production batch was made, to check that pricing and lead times have not changed since then.  After that I will start a new thread on 'Car Parts For Sale'. 

In the meantime, if you need sandwich plate gaskets they should be available from the four suppliers mentioned above or alternatively PM me direct, I have plenty here.  Cost of gaskets from stock is £15 per pair plus £4 postage for up to four pairs, 5 pairs or more will be post free. 

#60 Mat Jackson

Mat Jackson

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:47 PM

Also sorting a new batch to keep supply going if needed. Between us there should easily be enough supply..... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users