Turbosmart Actuator

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, God, Family. Holidays.

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:43 PM

The thread on my actuator was knackered and it may not have been functioning to well so I bought one of these.

If build quality is anything to go by it will be good. Its a solid bit of machinery, twice the weight of the flimsy Courtenay uprated one. Also you can change the spring in it to alter the 'static break off point' whatever that does :huh:

Fitted but not really tested yet. Will feed back later.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by P11 COV, 01 August 2015 - 07:45 PM.

#2 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:18 PM

Just been for a 'spirited drive' around MK's dual carriageways and roundabouts and its a vast improvement. Not N/A delivery or even the smoothest turbo delivery but loads better that it was. builds up nicely, holds reasonably well on part throttle and releases boost smoothy.

Maybe my last one was fooked but its certainly better than I ever remember it being in the last 7 years,

#3 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:34 PM

That's good to hear Paul, I'll be giving it a go as well thumbsup I know you've had the same issues as me about the switch type power delivery so can you now regulate part boost more accurately and is the on/off transition a lot smoother? Also, did you have to pre load the actuator the way Courtenays did with the others or is it totally reliant on the spring weight? Sorry about all the question but need to find an acceptable solution.

#4 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:48 PM

Sorry about all the question but need to find an acceptable solution.

It's called a super charger :P

#5 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:54 PM

Oooh, look who just piped up :lol: Just couldn't deal with all the whinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnning, beside I prefer a challenge not just stamp and wait :poke:

#6 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:59 AM

I know you've had the same issues as me about the switch type power delivery so can you now regulate part boost more accurately and is the on/off transition a lot smoother?

Yes I believe so. Will take a  little more time to evaluate properly but first impressions are good Also, did you have to pre load the actuator the way Courtenays did with the others or is it totally reliant on the spring weight? Sets up exactly as the standard one does. Setting was a lot easier as the nuts/rod were obviously new but they are stainless steel so hopefully should not rust or get affected by the heat as much.

10PSI spring seems to work the same as previous actuator. Overboosting to 25 and settling around 16-21. The 25 is a little higher than before...maybe I should wind it off a turn or two?

Not sure what effect having a different spring would have. Do ask Courtenay and let me know.

Edited by P11 COV, 02 August 2015 - 09:01 AM.

#7 Cookies220

Cookies220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:47 PM

That's good to hear Paul, I'll be giving it a go as well thumbsup I know you've had the same issues as me about the switch type power delivery so can you now regulate part boost more accurately and is the on/off transition a lot smoother? Also, did you have to pre load the actuator the way Courtenays did with the others or is it totally reliant on the spring weight? Sorry about all the question but need to find an acceptable solution.

I think it's called an aftermarket ECU and decent remap!

#8 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:34 PM

but this one is also courtenay branded, ie. price inflated

#9 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:14 PM

I think it's called an aftermarket ECU and decent remap!

In the long run, absolutely.

#10 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:15 PM

but this one is also courtenay branded, ie. price inflated

To be fair it's cheaper from Courtenays than on their own website.

#11 stu8v

stu8v

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:28 PM

Back in the day we always used to fit a -31 type actuator when upping the boost.

Granted it was on Cossies/Integrale's tho  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users