• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rubber

rubber

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 09:28 PM

I have been talking to someone who may be interested in making these. just a few things to tell him if anyone knows the answers. 1: What diameter of bar 2: Is it a solid bar or hollow 3: what kind of metal These may seen silly questions to the more technical of you but this is what I was asked. I have no idea. cheers Ian

#2 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 07 May 2003 - 09:39 PM

my harness bar is 1,5mm thick satin-finish stainless steel, 36mm diameter. 110mm long, will extend behind the roll bar, being supported by it against forward pull. just waiting to make the properly shaped supports to screw it by the upper belt nut. ...question nr.2 "solid or hollow" would ring some warning bells in my suspicious mind... :blink: :lol: can you fathom a SOLID harness bar?!? it would be 20 kilos!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

#3 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
  • Interests:Driving, wildlife photography, travel

Posted 07 May 2003 - 11:34 PM

My preference would be in mild steel and powder coated. Similar strength to roll bar (about 2mm steel) and about 38 mm diameter (1.5") The upper belt mount is a bit high for a harness but would be interested to see how you get on.

#4 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 08 May 2003 - 07:48 AM

The upper belt mount is a bit high for a harness but would be interested to see how you get on.

its indeed too high...I will keep the bar about 2-3 inches lower, with appropriately sized mounts. those will provide the (solid) support for height, while resting against the rear of the rollbar will offer plenty support against forward tensing strength.
bear in mind that I am keeping all the rear plastic lining off the car, so I have no problem with trimming away parts....that will necessarily happen if you decide to keep it on.....
exige has a bare shell as well, w/out plastic insulation.....

I tried to position a 40 mm diameter, but it looked and felt too big....
powder coating is an option for sure, but even the satin finish is quite good as it is...

Edited by Ricky2772, 08 May 2003 - 07:54 AM.

#5 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 08:00 AM

Ricky How do you propose to connect the mounts to the roll bar? Welding? I too am thinking about replacing the plastic thing at the back. I may even carpet a bit of it but not go above the shelf thing...

#6 rubber

rubber

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 02:24 PM

ricky, don't get the wrong idea. this guy has done a few bits on HGV's for me and said he'd have a look at making an harness bar up. he knows nothing about these things, which is why he asked questions. If he can't help there was no harm asking, if he can it will be a whole lot cheaper than anything else we've been offered. How would you propose to lowering the bar from the height of the belt mounts? How high should it be above shoulder? Is there a distance between shoulder belts on bar? If anyone knows all the answers let me know and i'll put it to him, can't hurt. He can only say no, but he was very interested when I told him how many people wanted one.(might of stretched the truth a bit ;) ) Ian

#7 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 04:24 PM

Ricky

How do you propose to connect the mounts to the roll bar? Welding?

I too am thinking about replacing the plastic thing at the back. I may even carpet a bit of it but not go above the shelf thing...

some "L" shaped mounts soldered to the bar and screwed to the belt point.

it is surely easy to place some nice, light carpeting instead of that black plastic.
dunno how to deal with the speakers though. binned long ago for me... :lol:

#8 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 04:26 PM

How would you propose to lowering the bar from the height of the belt mounts? How high should it be above shoulder? Is there a distance between shoulder belts on bar?

straps should travel parallel or a bit from below up, from bar to shoulders.
width is parallel or a bit tapered to your shoulder width.

#9 garyk220

garyk220

VX parts all sold, saving for replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 08:09 AM

Here's a picture of the mounting on the harness bars offered by Eliseparts. Price is approximately £130. I'm still tempted to get one of these, but I'm fairly sure they won't clear the Vxl speaker pods. If we ask Geary nicely enough, and there is enough interest from here, we might be able to get him to supply a bespoke bar.

Attached Files

#10 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 04:19 PM

The problem is that the Elise has additional bushes on the rollover bar to allow a harness bar to be fitted and we don't (I checked again at the factory today) so Elise bars have nowhere to bolt to...

#11 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 09 May 2003 - 07:25 PM

Elise has additional bushes on the rollover bar to allow a harness bar to be fitted and we don't

Thanks GM! :beat:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users