• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:33 AM

Another important factor; where to locate the water nozzles.

We experimented with spraying water directy before the throttlebody, into the Harrop supercharger, but had mixed results as you then spray before the Laminova cores.

Better is to spray after the chargecooler, as thus you keep the highest temperature difference over the Laminova cores (most effective) and then water deals with the heat that is left over. 

BMW also re-introduced water injection in their model; http://m-power.com/_...id=3301&lang=en

And spraying water after the chargecooler...  :happy:

#22 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:31 AM

I was planning on injecting after the laminovas each side of the inlet manifold

#23 ultimate

ultimate

• PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:21 AM

@exmantaa: Mixed results? What does that mean? I am spraying after charger before laminovas and thought about spraying before the throttle with the new engine.

#24 ultimate

ultimate

• PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:22 AM

I'm not sure about getting the correct amount of water in each cylinder when spraying after laminovas In America, everybody is spraying before throttle or before laminovas. I haven't found a installation that sprays after the laminovas

Edited by ultimate, 09 November 2015 - 11:26 AM.

#25 ultimate

ultimate

• PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:25 AM

http://www.speedster...9#comment-98592 Here is a link to my old thread with the thinking about the position of the nozzle

#26 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:48 AM

In America, everybody is spraying before throttle or before laminovas. I haven't found a installation that sprays after the laminovas

I think that's just because it's easier. NickB777 is spraying (or has the capability to) after the Laminovas as he had his inlet manifold drilled and tpped for the nozzles.

#27 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:27 PM

In America, everybody is spraying before throttle or before laminovas. I haven't found a installation that sprays after the laminovas

I think that's just because it's easier. NickB777 is spraying (or has the capability to) after the Laminovas as he had his inlet manifold drilled and tpped for the nozzles.

:yeahthat:

Before TB you have a very good water/air mixing and never have an underpressure situation, so you don't have the risk of sucking water into the engine (at idle/low load; high underpressure) when your system/nozzle leaks... :(

Rob tested that system several times at Zandvoort and also had it armed on his dyno session, but he still saw IAT temps >80°C with his Harrop 80mm.

No where near the results as found here by Nick(?) who sprayed after the laminova cores...

Think we must do it the same as BMW made it there; spray after the chargecooler. This way you keep the highest T-difference over the chargecooler, making that work most efficient.  If you pre-cool the air with water before the chargecooler, that can do almost no extra cooling anymore as the T-difference will now be much smaller.

But for high flowing Harrop builds reaching 400HP, we probably also need to look into the max flow capacity of the 4 stock Laminova cores. :dry:  

Edited by Exmantaa, 09 November 2015 - 01:30 PM.

#28 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:43 PM

Could it be possible to try some temp sensors before and after laminovas To see how much temp is being removed by the laminovas I think if you inject either side of the manifold after the laminovas we should get a even spread

#29 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:46 PM

Just a case of sorting jet size out

#30 DaveyC

DaveyC

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:24 PM

I have temp sensors before and after my laminovas. Interesting to see when and how much temps are reduced. I can't log with them unfortunately but they give a good idea of how much heat is removed. Cruising around sees only about 15-20 degrees difference but opening the throttle sees the pre-laminova temp rise rapidly and the post-laminova stay fairly constant. This is all on the road only as I haven't had a chance to track it like that. I will be on track in about 2 weeks and plan to set my gopro up so it can read the temp gauge.

#31 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:55 PM

Do you have the actual pre laminovas temp & after in degrees ?

#32 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:57 PM

Where are you picking up the pre-Laminova temps from? I've been meaning to do the same with my data logger but haven't really had a look to see where I can fit a sensor pre-Laminova.

#33 DaveyC

DaveyC

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:10 PM

Drilled and tapped the manifold just before and just after one of the laminovas. Bought a generic IAT gauge that displays two temps simultaneously. Did a similar thing on my mx5 by drilling and tapping the supercharger outlet and could log that with megasquirt. Suppose I could do a similar thing with OBD tuner but I'm already using the egr input for wideband.

#34 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:16 PM

Drilled and tapped the manifold just before and just after one of the laminovas. Bought a generic IAT gauge that displays two temps simultaneously. Did a similar thing on my mx5 by drilling and tapping the supercharger outlet and could log that with megasquirt. Suppose I could do a similar thing with OBD tuner but I'm already using the egr input for wideband.

There is still a few connections going to the get wiring which still can be used Have you got a record of the actual temps please

#35 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:35 PM

Not had chance to run the WI yet so no idea might just turn it on and try it, it's wires into the Map sensor though

#36 DaveyC

DaveyC

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:46 PM

There is still a few connections going to the get wiring which still can be used Have you got a record of the actual temps please

I haven't recorded any, but I'll make some notes next time I'm out.

#37 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:54 PM

I haven't recorded any, but I'll make some notes next time I'm out.
👍

#38 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:18 PM

what do you think of injecting here on the stars ??

Posted Image

#39 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:47 PM

Think you will blast the water up to the opposite manifold wall, as that is very close there; not so good for mixing watermist and air...

Ideally it needs some distance to distribute, mix and evaporate, And access is not unimportant too. So what about 2 nozzles from both sides? Maybe both aimed a bit upwards?

#40 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:55 PM

here

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: supercharger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users