• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dw1

dw1

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:57 PM

Did Brands on Tues 17th. Wow, that was one of the toughest days I've driven due to the changing conditions. Great fun, excellent experience. I haven't spun in a long time but at the end of my first session, around I went. Go to 1min 20s. You'll see that I give the throttle a tiny bit too much before having unwound the steering, a wallop in torque and the rear snapped before I sensed it. Perhaps I should have tried to keep my foot in as you'll see that I take my foot totally off the throttle? The track was wet and very greasy. 

https://youtu.be/eih_Nov9vYM

A dry line started to come by lunchtime so was lapping well and confidently by then. Then the heavy rain came for a very wet rest of the day. Nothing like tough conditions to test your driving skills (or lack of :o) The video shows just how wet it was and the car seemed like it had such little grip. I think you partly need to take the car with confidence and drive very gently otherwise it feels like you are just skingon ice.

https://youtu.be/oBrWdhoYb6U

When I got home I was really tired which goes to show how much I had been concentrating.

Edited by dw1, 21 November 2015 - 08:02 PM.

#2 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:50 PM

Loved the battery warning on the first video  chinky chinky

Brands is a sod when wet!

#3 Andy_VX

Andy_VX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Boats, F1, Cycling, Home Cinema, Music.

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:15 PM

Looks like fun! I love driving on track in the wet, like you say it takes so much concentration and every input is so important! What tyres are you on, standard NA?

#4 dw1

dw1

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:07 AM

LOL, the battery warning was because I stalled in the spin (not my finest hour :)) the spin took me by surprise and I forgot to put my foot on the clutch in time. It should have flashed up with a driver lack of talent warning :D I would have like to have had a go in a front wheel drive car as you can push on so much harder with so much more confidence in the wet. Am on Federal 595 rsr, very good tyre wet and dry, would buy them again.

#5 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 04:11 PM

That looks snappy is that the turbo kicking in? TBH on a wet track my NA feels powerful enough at times!

#6 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:02 PM

You seem to be sticking to the dry line, there will be much more grip off it.

#7 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 23 November 2015 - 07:46 PM

He he - bitten by the turbo torque spike. Glad you and the car are fine, that stage 4 torque is very hard to control in the wet, that's for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users