#1 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:34 AM

Having the normal sell the VX feeling (must be a winter thing)

Been looking at the following :

Lotus Evora S 

Porsche Cayman 3.4 R 

Both look great cars for under 40k

#2 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:40 AM

If you're serious drive both and then decide👍 Preference tends to be a personal thing &, IMO the Cayman (although I didn't try an "R") and Evora did feel different to drive

Edited by PaulCP, 25 November 2015 - 08:56 AM.

#3 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:01 AM

Is this the Cayman model with the engine problems??

Edited by fiveoclock, 25 November 2015 - 10:01 AM.

#4 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:01 AM

I should say Evora but let me tell you the Gen 2 Cayman is a seriously good car. One of the toughest choices as both are very good, great residuals. I had this S recently:

Posted Image

Epic car and the chap that bought it abandoned a search for an Evora/Aston/Maserati for it. Its a very good time to buy a Cayman R they hit a bit of a price bubble in the middle of this year which is why I went for the S. They have now softened quite a bit and there some good ones out there under 40k

N1VES an ex VXer is selling this one due to an incoming GT4 this is a great car with excellent spec:

http://www.pistonhea...-gen-ii/4947774

I'm looking for one myself still at the moment but I want the PDK with all the bells and whistles and they are bloomin hard to find. Only 200 in the country split 50/50 manual/PDK

Evoras are great but I honestly dont think they drive any better or worse than the Cayman they are two of the most evenly matched cars out there. 

#5 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:49 AM

I have no first hand experience of either but... Sitting in the office a couple of days ago someone said 'there's a Ferrari outside'. It was a red Evora. No one ever said that about a Cayman. Apart from that the reviews would suggest the porsche has the better engine, both have great chassis but the Evora less reliable. The +2 seats would swing it for me though.

#6 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:54 AM

As is well known, I own an Evora (NA) after my VX. For me, it was the: Lotus (as close to VX handling as possible) Mid Engined 2+2 I can think of at least 4 other people that have moved from VX220 to Evora. If it was the Vauxhall Evora, I would have still bought it. :lol: My biggest loss is the fixed roof, but aircon helps make up for it :)

#7 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:57 AM

This would get my £40k http://www.autotrade...age=1&logcode=p

#8 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:20 PM

Supposed to be like driving an anvil those things arent they? 

#9 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:12 PM

Im now adding the lotus exige v6 to the party... 

#10 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:46 PM

This would get my £40khttp://www.autotrade...age=1&logcode=p

That was the other car on my shortlist when I was looking to change. A very capable every day car but, IMO, just that. As I have stated before,(upsetting Timbo at the same time😜) alongside the Cayman and Evora if felt a bit numb to drive. I'm sure the "R" version is very different but price wise it is also in a different league.  

Im now adding the lotus exige v6 to the party...

This is where you have to decide why you want to change and the intended use. The Exige V6 is a great car but it feels very much like a more modern VX when sat in it and when driving it. If you want to retain the track focus of the VX then it's probably the one to go for but, and for me it was a big but, I couldn't see the point in spending £25k+ in addition to the cash from the VX to have something so close to it. Yes it has a few more creature comforts but if I was looking for track focus when I was changing I would have stuck with the VX. Coco is spot on when he says the Evora is the closest to the VX feel as you can get in a very capable every day car. Sue also finds the rear seats very useful for taking, in her eyes, normal luggage when on holiday in it

Edited by PaulCP, 25 November 2015 - 02:02 PM.

#11 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 03:16 PM

Supposed to be like driving an anvil those things arent they?

I've never driven an anvil

#12 Tfp

Tfp

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 03:28 PM

Is this the Cayman model with the engine problems??

No, it was the earlier ones. 

Although I sold my 2006 at 55,000 miles with no problems after a year of ownership. 

Perhaps I was just lucky.

And I sold it to a dealer. I would presume that if it was that common they suffered engine failure then NO dealers would buy them.

I asked at the Porsche garage, they said it can happen, but it's not as common as made out on the forums.

Again, having said all that, it was on my mind for the year I owned it that I could be looking at an £8,000 engine rebuild.

Would I buy another?

Yes, but would pay the extra and get a gen 2 car which are better I've been led to believe.

The sound of that engine is addictive.

#13 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:18 PM

Gen 2 cars are much improved in terms of steering feel and ride/handling. The Gen 1 S cars are prone to engine failures you only have to scan the classifieds to see there are a lot there with replaced engines. 

The Evora comparison dont forget you really need an Evora S to get to the same level of performance as the Cayman S or R. at the 40k pricepoint the Cayman R is a pretty special car. a Regular 981 S at just over 40k I dont think would be quite the same feeling.

#14 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:45 PM

I'd also be looking at these two: http://www.pistonhea...arranty/4290485 http://www.pistonhea...-manual/4782365

#15 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:48 PM

I think Paul considered the R8 before he decided on the Evora ?

#16 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:51 PM

Would have loved to Chris but too expensive for a late year one and too scared to risk that amount of cash on a 5-7 year old one 😉😉 It was a very close call between the Cayman & the Evora, in the end the Evora felt just that little bit more special (more rare, ride & steering feel)

Edited by PaulCP, 25 November 2015 - 08:54 PM.

#17 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, God, Family. Holidays.

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:03 PM

Not the same price bracket I know  Cayman GT4 beat the Evora 400 by a long way in the EVO car of the year.

Posted Image

#18 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:11 PM

Have you seen a GT4 in the metal? They give you a fuzzy feeling in your testicles. 

#19 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:15 PM

Motoring journalists looking after the mouth that feeds them (with certain perks) 😎 Hence why I stopped buying Evo a few years ago. TBF it probably is better (& I wouldn't say no) but they never tell you that you can't buy one for the, so called, list price nor what the final cost is. Go on the Porsche configurator and see how the cost does more than just creep up😄 The Evora is far from perfect, you just have to accept the Lotus quirks, but satisfied my overall requirements at the price v the others on my shortlist. If my requirements had been different then my final choice may well have been different.

Edited by PaulCP, 25 November 2015 - 09:24 PM.

#20 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, God, Family. Holidays.

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:55 PM

Motoring journalists looking after the mouth that feeds them (with certain perks) 😎 Hence why I stopped buying Evo a few years ago.  

911 came well down this year. Evo is the best (only) performance car mag out there and the car of the year had some cracking cars, roads and photography.....made me want to do the Hoon rallly

Edited by P11 COV, 25 November 2015 - 09:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users