• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Madmitch

Madmitch

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:19 PM

Decided to deal with my weepy sandwich plate seals as they have suddenly started to leak badly. Inevitably the cap unscrewed the sandwich plate adapter ring and I've spent the whole effing day trying to separate the two.  Can't find the magic solution on the forum and I know lots have had the same problem, help please!  Thanks in anticipation chaps. 

#2 OneYet

OneYet

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:24 PM

I used a turner and a big file as a crowbar. 

Put the lid part in the turner and the file in the holes in the ring and added force on the file. 

#3 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,762 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:32 AM

I used one of the spanners that are being made. Put the hex from the cap in a vice then tap the spanner round with a hammer. May need a slight amount shaved off the edge of the cap to get the spanner on. Torque it correctly when refitting!

#4 ChippyFA

ChippyFA

• PipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Interests:Throwing money at the Vx

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:37 AM

I have the spanners for sale plenty left

#5 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:48 AM

I put the hex in the vice and use a massive pair of plumbers pliers to free the over-tightened lid.

But ..... you must replace the O ring seal, which is most likely old and worn out, plus the reason for over-tightening it in the first place.

#6 Madmitch

Madmitch

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 02:36 PM

Cheers Chaps, scholars and gentlemen all, your help and advice much appreciated!  I have one of your special spanners Chippy, very carefully fettled to a really snug fit and I have spare 'O' rings Vocky, and finally got it all split apart this afternoon by clamping the hex in the vice and welting the spanner, exactly as you suggested FLD.  I would have put it in the lathe but it's a wood lathe so not a lot of use for this without a lot of fiddling!  Thanks again!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: oil, filter, cap, adapter, ring

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users