• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:48 PM

I've not seen this discussed in these boards at all... The Tesla Roadster is based on the same 116 chassis as the vx220, with a few bespoke changes for the tesla configuration. Now the chassis/suspension setup of the tesla is the same as the vx220. However one of the bespoke parts for tesla seems to be a different upright casting... and why... because they run 308mm rotors at all four corners, but the same calipers as the lotus/vx From my reading, the tesla has the exact same suspension geometry, but the uprights simply have longer caliper mounting ears, spacing the stock calipers out to reach around the 308mm discs. Front and back. So if the stock brakes are pretty damn good with a few limits due to mass and size (bite and fade), surely something like 308mm rotors using the bog-stock calipers with good pads and fluid would be ideal? http://performancefo...34&d=1450388553 http://performancefo...33&d=1450388553 Thoughts?? Cheers Ed

Edited by ed.oates, 17 December 2015 - 10:50 PM.

#2 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:02 AM

Lots of us use 308 discs with 4 pot callipers which are a direct fit to the vx front upright. 

you don't need new uprights, a spacer and a longer bolt is ok to use 308 discs with standard callipers and standard uprights. 

I'm not convinced you'd notice the difference though. 

Posted Image

#3 Jocke_D

Jocke_D

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:05 AM

The standard rotors from the Saab 9-5 Aero is a direct fit. You just need to space out the calipers.  Feels like most bang for the buck if you just want bigger rotors.

Obviously there are more sporty options than the standard ones for the Saab as well if you want less weight or more bite.

#4 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:07 AM

As far as I know do the Tesla Roadsters run somewhat oddball disc sizes as standard something like  300mm front and 310mm rear, not 308.

It's close, but if you look around this is a common 'search' for Tesla Roadster owners to find suitable aftermarket discs that fit as these are such uncommon sizes.

Uprights my still be a decent starting point for bigger brakes on the VX, but may still need some fettling/mods to the claiper mounts for different sized discs.

Bye, Arno.

#5 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:31 AM

Guy reckons they're 308/308mm fr/rr... Which also conflicts with what I thought re 300/310mm but they are what they are, so go figure. Yes I know the 308 with the APs is a common upgrade, but the options to upgrade the back all suck. Benefit of this setup with the different uprights is 1- it all looks Stocky McStock for German inspection (note how lotus labels the AP 'Motorsport use only') and 2- the rears get a size bump. The fact that the rotors may actually be made from unicorn faeces is a big downside. But if this set are intact 308s and not 300/310 then it be betting the rotors would be interchangeable with the common 308 stuff the vx uses Find it none the less interesting that there's no mention of the tesla stuff on the forums at all.

#6 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:45 AM

It's a nice option for the rear.  Are you sure it's the upright that's different and not the caliper?

#7 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:48 AM

Think how expensive the VX upright is. Then wonder at just how much an even more limited version for a shitty low volume bodge of an electric car could be. :wacko:

#8 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:51 AM

http://www.teslamoto...ll=1#post408566

Looks like the same upright to me

Edited by fezzasus, 18 December 2015 - 08:52 AM.

#9 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:26 AM

Find it none the less interesting that there's no mention of the tesla stuff on the forums at all.

I once mentioned the testla's fondmetal 7400 rims, but it was not received well here. (photoshopped)

Posted Image

Edited by smiley, 18 December 2015 - 09:27 AM.

#10 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:42 AM

http://www.teslamoto...ll=1#post408566

Looks like the same upright to me

but theyre not ;)

some bloke had the lotus uprights next to the tesla's... the rears calipers are identical to the lotus, and the mounting ears on the upright are therefor bigger to accommodate the bigger disc

fronts... are unclear. he originally said the uprights were different, but then corrected himself and said the caliper is different (standoff) to accomodate the reach around thr rotors

the guy who sent me the pics of the brakes yesterday is measuring things again - as i find the 308/308 size a little unlikely

#11 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 12:54 PM

Infact... Look at the very pic you posted, specifically the rear caliper mount. Note the '8' shaped double bump profile around the mounting hole area. The casting has been extended out to the longer mounting point. You can see where the vx/lotus mounting point would be.

#12 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 01:39 PM

Its truly amazing that nobody bothered/wondered/mentioned about this in years and just now that I dived into this myself last week, somebody comes up with exact the same thing... :huh:

And yes, the Tesla rear upright castings seem to have a bit more elongated caliper mounts to accomodate the 308mm discs.

#13 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 02:33 PM

At the very least the tesla rear offers a simple 'bracket free' 308mm solution using a single oem caliper. Seems like an excellent compromise for the back. ($10 says the 308 rotor is imtetchangeable with the myriad of 2piece options already out there). The front probably isn't worth it simply due to the awkward size. Better to stay with the tried and true front solutions.

#14 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:41 PM

I wonder if the rear uprights are available from lotus and if they're the tapered or straight toelink hole?

#15 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:48 PM

I wonder if the rear uprights are available from lotus and if they're the tapered or straight toelink hole?

the A116 items are only £140 + vat each, hopefully the tesla versions are a similar price .....

#16 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:49 PM

What is on a Europa SE, as this also has the 308mm discs OEM? (I recall something about 4-pot calipers front & back? But what about the required parking brake then?)

#17 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:52 PM

What is on a Europa SE, as this also has the 308mm discs OEM? (I recall something about 4-pot calipers front & back? But what about the required parking brake then?)

A116 rears - same as vx220

SE had 308mm and 4 pots on front only, according to the parts list

Edited by vocky, 18 December 2015 - 03:53 PM.

#18 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 04:04 PM

Later ones have different uprights with a disc/drum hybrid.  Its a completely different set up.

Edited by FLD, 18 December 2015 - 04:04 PM.

#19 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 04:12 PM

Later ones have different uprights with a disc/drum hybrid.  Its a completely different set up.

That's interesting... That's probably for the 4-pot rears, but that would imply some different shaped rear uprights to accomodate all this. :unsure:

#20 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 04:13 PM

the A116 items are only £140 + vat each, hopefully the tesla versions are a similar price .....

I've emailed Podge, waiting on a reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users