Photo

M32 Europa Gearbox Mount

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:38 PM

If you wanted to make your own side mount then the vectra adaptor might be a little simpler because it is taller than the Astra version, thus the DIY mount would be shorter and more flat.

#22 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:45 PM

fyi, i finally got my hands on a set of Europa mounts, and on first look, its really not a whole lot different to a how a Corsa VXR gearbox mount, mated to a std F23 VX220 mount looks

the holes dont line up exactly 100% between the VXR gearbox side, and the F23/VX220 side, but its pretty damn close, and only a matter of elongating a hole here and there (and not my more than a few mm)

ill dummy it up properly this evening and measure the heights/offsets, but its pretty damn close from first impressions

Posted Image

#23 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:08 PM

it won't fit, you need the astra vxr adaptor which is £20 or so from the dealers

#24 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:25 PM

im not sure youre following what i have in mind ;)

#25 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:56 PM

you are thinking that the corsa adaptor mount and the F23 vx220 side mount can somehow work together, they don't  ;) 

#26 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:17 PM

going to have to disagree for the time being  :happy:

didnt get a chance to properly measure the offsets tonight, but theyre soooo close its not funny. heights are identical, reach looks identical, fore/aft offset looks within 5mm. ive had retail 'performance parts' that have looked worse/required more work to fit

the 3-hole mount patterns between Corsa M32 and the VX F23 are within 1-2mm overall, and considering that the corsa has something like M12(!) fasteners, the F23 mount holes would need to be milled out to size regardless (for which there is miles of room/meat)... so theres heaps of scope to fine-adjust the exact end position of the F23 chassis-side mounting hole.

plus the F23 alloy mount is about 1/3 of the weight

ill jig it up tomorrow

#27 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:51 PM

So, jigged it up... Absolutely doable, lines up incredibly well :) Compared to the Europa mount on the Astra-m32 base, The 'starting location' of the VX-f23 mount on the Corsa-m32 base is: - the same height - the same lateral offset - approx ~20mm offset to the rear Using the inboard most mounting hole of the Corsa base as a pivot, and rotating the f23 forward the needed ~20mm, and the 2 remaining holes are out ~3 to 5mm. Given the alloy vx-f23 mount is simply a huge chunk of alloy, milling those 2 holes is a piece of cake, with plenty of material to spare. A couple of hi-ten washers, or if you want to be really fancy, a CNC cut load spreader plate under all 3 holes, and that's it. Certainly by far simpler than remanufacturing an entire Europa mount from scratch

#28 RichEuropaS

RichEuropaS

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:45 PM

Hi Ed,

Could you put some photos up please.  

Very interesting.

#29 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:07 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#30 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:37 AM

you do not need to change the z22se alloy engine mount, the steel version shown is for the z20let engine.

#31 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:41 AM

yeah, i realise that, I received it all regardless when i bought the gearbox mount, so took a photo of whats there for 1:1 comparison

Edited by ed.oates, 09 March 2016 - 09:41 AM.

#32 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:38 PM

PS, Neil, youve got the original rear gearbox mount on yours dont you (Europa part, but not lotus specific)?

dont suppose you know/can see if theres a part number in the casting/stamped on it?

its gotta come from somewhere (other than lotus - who presently dont have it) but figuring out where is a challenge!

#33 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 09:42 PM

Update... Nope, I take it back... It's just a touch further out than my first jig suggested. After my lot of measurements, I thought, "yep, I'll do it this way" and use the lighter alloy mount myself. So I jigged it up 'properly' to set some machining points, and lo-and-behold i was a few mm out. It's certainly still doable, just not quite as neat as I'd first speculated. Me - I've gone back to planning on using the std Europa mount myself

#34 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 09:45 PM

The rear mount is lotus only, just like the vx220 part.

#35 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:11 PM

i had a hunch it might not be - given its a cast alloy part (very large manufacturer OEM style) and other lotus ad-hoc solutions were welded steel

#36 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 15 March 2016 - 06:20 AM

On the gearbox mount I laser cut some suitable thickness plate steel, cut and drilled some solid bar steel before welding to plate making the adaptor plate which retained the oem turbo mount and bolted through the both into the box Have a pic on phone if I get time will try to upload Not sure where I put the drawing I did, may still have a laser cut plate in garage DG

#37 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 15 March 2016 - 06:17 PM

Might be an odd idea but why not pattern and cast a new side adaptor piece? It's fairly easy and probably quicker than 'making one fit'. It'd also be fairly easy to pattern a copy of the rear mount if you can get a borrow of an oem one.

#38 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 06:56 PM

not unthinkable (am considering casting the upper gearbox mount)

this rear gearbox mount though... not exactly growing on trees

#39 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:57 PM

Yeah. Need a friend with one to borrow and copy. Pattern with a shrinkage factor and we could churn em out!

#40 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 03:19 PM

Anddd... finally got some 2006 Europa S M32 gearbox mounts. Part numbers too (not that it helps much)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users