• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 prallyx

prallyx

• Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Rallycross, rallycross and a bit of...eh rallycross

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:09 PM

I have only recently joined the forum and am new to VX ownership. 

For various reasons I plan on fitting a Peugeot 306 Gti6 (xu10j4rs) engine to my newly acquired Vx220 and build it up into a Rallycross car. 

The plan is to race the car in the '17 championship so I have a year to get it up and running, 

Here is a few shots of the car in its present state

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Plenty of obstacles to sort out but I think it's all manageable, next job is to mock up a spare engine and box and fabricate some mounts, 

Any comments good or bad are welcome....

#2 NOSBandit

NOSBandit

• PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:45 PM

I am also building my first VX, just finished putting a Toyota engine in it. What is the 17 championship?

#3 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:13 AM

Audacious project, looking forward to seeing this one evolve.

Will a VX have enough suspension travel/ground clearance for rallycross, presumably you will be raising it up a bit?

Good luck. :)

Nev.

Edited by Nev, 29 December 2015 - 09:14 AM.

#4 stu8v

stu8v

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:31 AM

The Exiges seem to do ok.

#5 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:35 PM

Weight..... (As in what's the regs min?)

#6 prallyx

prallyx

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:35 PM

I am also building my first VX, just finished putting a Toyota engine in it. What is the 17 championship?

Best of luck with your own, 

It'll be in the Irish rx championship along with a few select MSA British championship also.

#7 prallyx

prallyx

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:43 PM

Weight..... (As in what's the regs min?)

The Exiges seem to do ok.

Audacious project, looking forward to seeing this one evolve.

Will a VX have enough suspension travel/ground clearance for rallycross, presumably you will be raising it up a bit?

Good luck. :)

Nev.

Weight won't be an issue, Rallycross allows a wide scope of cars from spaceframe to big M3's and the likes, there is a minimum but its something like 750kg including driver

The elise and exige has dominated both the Irish and British championships over the past few years but in saying that it wont be slammed to the ground!!

#8 stu8v

stu8v

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:49 PM

http://www.fuchslubr...94622224266.jpg

#9 prallyx

prallyx

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:50 PM

Mocked up an engine and box and dropped it in to see what sort of a mess im getting myself in for...

Posted Image

Ill have to change my box to hydraulic and fit a bracket for cable shift but that shouldn't be too bad, 

Obviously some mounts will need fabricating and there's no way the standard gti6 exhaust manifold will fit but other than that it should be ok, theres plenty of room for the supercharger and all its brackets. I'll have to think about the position of the intercooler as it'll be too far away fitting it in the front alongside the rad

Edited by prallyx, 29 December 2015 - 06:51 PM.

#10 prallyx

prallyx

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:57 PM

Paige Bellerbys car....Her Dad Dave Bellerby is no stranger to Rallycross

Posted Image

Posted Image

Both these 2 above dominated the British and Irish championships over recent years, neither are racing at present though.

#11 stu8v

stu8v

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:02 PM

Been to the rallycross gp a few times 👍

#12 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:05 AM

Mocked up an engine and box and dropped it in to see what sort of a mess im getting myself in for...

Ill have to change my box to hydraulic and fit a bracket for cable shift but that shouldn't be too bad, 

Obviously some mounts will need fabricating and there's no way the standard gti6 exhaust manifold will fit but other than that it should be ok, theres plenty of room for the supercharger and all its brackets. I'll have to think about the position of the intercooler as it'll be too far away fitting it in the front alongside the rad

I would remove the cardboard firewall and see how far forward it can be mounted/tilted.

And for intercooler; the RS200 did pretty well in rallycross with the roof cooler... :)  

#13 Dan r

Dan r

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 06:36 AM

This is going to interesting, I remember the xu9j4 having to be lent back quite a bit in the 205 as its a tall engine, will you run a dry sump so you can position the engine lower, will give you more flexibility with cooling also? I was lucky enough to work on the telemetry on Dermot Carnegie's car at Brands in about 2004 when he ran a focus, I remember he was getting around 1.8s 0-60 times off the grid! Haven't been to an event in years, will have to get involved again as its cracking racing.

#14 prallyx

prallyx

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:03 PM

This is going to interesting, I remember the xu9j4 having to be lent back quite a bit in the 205 as its a tall engine, will you run a dry sump so you can position the engine lower, will give you more flexibility with cooling also? I was lucky enough to work on the telemetry on Dermot Carnegie's car at Brands in about 2004 when he ran a focus, I remember he was getting around 1.8s 0-60 times off the grid! Haven't been to an event in years, will have to get involved again as its cracking racing.

I don't think I can run a dry sump kit with the way the supercharger is mounted, I might have another re-think and see if its possible. 

Carnegie's Focus was insane, the turbo was the size of a small country, the World rx cars are pretty impressive these days, standing beside 5 of them off the line is ear chattering!

Belgium last year...

#15 Dan r

Dan r

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:20 AM

Also pretty dangerous standing by the start line, if your ears don't bleed with the noise there's also the chance of things blowing up. Carnegie's prop shaft was only capable of a handful of launches (as it was approximately only a 100mm dia and 3mm walled aluminium pipe) which he pushed his luck with causing it to blow into a thousand pieces across the track, took me a while to work out what it was! Such an awesome experience though seeing a mix of mostly modified normal hatchbacks launching off the start line, some as fast as an f1 car! Just an idea re the dry sump, particularly as the xu10 is an iron block. Your link is asking for a log in?

#16 prallyx

prallyx

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 10:56 PM

I've taken a new turn regarding my vx. Having had absolutely no time to look at the car over the last few months...its time to get this started. After much thought I have gone away from the Peugeot engine and bought an 08 Astra vxr to strip for its engine, box, loom etc etc Being completely drop in was the deciding factor in the end...forged internals also helped! I'm presuming the Astra brembos and discs will fit ok...with 17" fronts. Unsure if i'll swop a 5 speed box on there yet... Has many done this conversion... I've read a few threads with limited info. The Astra arrives here next week than the fun starts!

#17 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:18 AM

I wouldn't bother with the brakes... leave what is on, as any change could upset the balance and throw you into a wall / ditch.

#18 prallyx

prallyx

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 07:38 PM

Been busy with this over the past few weeks, 

Finally got the engine in along with an f23 box

Posted Image

Decided to fit the intercooler on the roof

Posted Image

Got the seat fitted along with belts etc and have it rolling now. 

Next up is wiring....DTA standalone and plumbing

A buddy of mine has a touring car rallycross fiesta and it turns out the 17' Braid wheels he runs are a perfect fit! Vectra Gsi wheel on the rear (offset completely wrong)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 prallyx

prallyx

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:30 PM

The Vx is coming along nicely...although it may not be ready for the first round of the championship in a few weeks.

It's off getting a custom dash, wiring and an ecu. It was also wrapped in its new outfit last week.

Plenty left to do...mount the front and rear clams properly...is there any mounting kits available? manufacture an exhaust, pipe the cooling system etc

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:05 AM

Good progress.

One little suggestion, this engine suffers from high IATs if it's tuned up over about 12 PSI of boost, so I'd recommend considering fitting a fwd radiator and installing a water-to-air CC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users