1266 replies to this topic

#521 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:11 AM

no pics :(

as the thread in the nut was mashed, it didnt want to come back off. i was too busy cursing and meticulously trying to angle grind the nut off, to think to take pics.

the taper exited the bottom of the steering arm approx 1mm. whether that was enough to ride into the nut, not sure, but certainly didnt look right.

applied tourque was around 30Nm

#522 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:20 PM

"Sill Conversion" from NA to Turbo. Definitely not a case of unbolt-and-swap-over. Need to angle grind/cut-off disc a decent chunk of material, plus the forward part is PU'd on like a motherfucker... back out with the breadknife and flapwheel... ughh

Standard OEM Turbo Body:

Posted Image

After hacking the NA Body to bits:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#523 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:51 PM

Eltech Italia have them för NA

#524 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:40 PM

Ok, never needed to look as I've got OEM Turbo ears here. And really, it's not that hard to cut out the existing panel and get it back to a base starting point. Thing is, I see a lot of wanted-ads around people wanting to put Turbo inlets on an NA, im not sure the know necessarily what involved in that!

#525 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Motorbikes, well anything mechanical.
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:52 PM

Just a tip bit late but you don't need to pull the nah bit off you can cut it and take off a small bit of it so your left with this

Posted Image

#526 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:39 PM

Fucckkkerrrrrr....!!!

Posted Image

I've now remade these goddam roof mounts 3 times

Fwiw, someone once mentioned their short roof S2 rollbar fit 1:1 with the vx220. Well my round #1 S2 rollbar was a long roof, my own mistake. So I made a jig and remade the mounts for the roof fittings. Lo and behold the remade mounts foul the profile of the body panel.

But also the rear stay mounts are a different angle/position/size and the seatbelt anchors are slightly different, meaning the SRS pretensioner seatbelt retractor (which I actually think are a tremendous idea to keep functioning in this aluminium sarcophagus) doesn't fit, at all.

So before originally fitting the S2 long roof bar, I remade the seatbelt anchors, arranged custom stays (which I wanted anyway) and had those 'soon to not fit' roof mounts welded up. Did I mention fitting the roll bar involves damaging the B-Pillar to get in and out? Ughh

Anyway, long story short, another S2 bar came up for sale, this time a short roof, and I thought, ok, for the sake of 'fit and forget' I could accept redamaging the B-Pillar for the convenience of roof mounts that don't suck dicks, non-modified seatbelt anchors (mine are fine, but because lawyers) and rear stays that would fit in the meantime whilst I get the custom ones deigned and made, plus the pillar will get sprayed and prepped next week, so good timing...

But... apparently there's yet another S2 rollbar version. Short roof, wrong stay mounts, and non compatible seatbelt anchors. Yay. So fuckit, cut the needed short roof mounts off the new bar, now sacrificed to the car gods, cut the mounts off the bar that's currently installed in the car, pull the old welding jig out... oh look! They don't fit! Oh FFS. So I've now modified the new short roof mounts, and need to weld them insitu in the car. Ideally I'll try to get it don't before paint, but maybe it'll have to,wait till afterwards. Atleast the B-Pillar didn't get busted again, and my previous fiberglass repair and the prep work didn't go to waste...

#527 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:15 PM

Two cars enter, one car leaves...

Posted Image

One stripped turbo chassis headed for an oven to be sacrificed for individual extrusion members
Turbo motor going to a good home, big chunk of rather 'junk' parts taken as well! A real Workshop cleanout, and he paid me.

#528 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:23 PM

new Delphi tie rod ends for the rack. These actually torqued down properly

Posted Image

#529 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:33 PM

And... new engine mounts. billet/CNC'd+ Polyurethane. Polyurethane is 100% mechanically captured, and is pre-compressed in the mounting so that it never goes into tension. Exact same mount height as stock @ 68mm

Oh, and 1/3 the price of vibratech.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#530 2-20

2-20

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:15 PM

Where did you get them ??

#531 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:19 AM

http://bde-performance.com/mounts.htm it helps when the name is etched into the side ;)

Edited by fezzasus, 31 May 2017 - 06:23 AM.

#532 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:15 AM

pretty much this ^^^^

#533 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:44 AM

and before everyone jumps on a bandwagon, the anti-rotation index pins dont quite align with the cutouts on the VX chassis nor engine mount, so elongation/new drill hole is required to mount properly

#534 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:15 AM

I noticed this by the picture. Also Three mount Will be higher than are due to less compression? I bought extra low mounts for mine.

and before everyone jumps on a bandwagon, the anti-rotation index pins dont quite align with the cutouts on the VX chassis nor engine mount, so elongation/new drill hole is required to mount properly

#535 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:46 AM

it should preload similarly, so final installed height shouldnt differ more than a few mm. given the variance in std mount heights ive seen, its neither here nor there

Edited by Doctor Ed, 31 May 2017 - 08:48 AM.

#536 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:08 PM

10.0mm blind locating hole for the new engine mounts. fitted, torqued, finished :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#537 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:15 AM

Phewpf, that huge air box should certainly flow nicely.

Edited by Nev, 01 June 2017 - 07:16 AM.

#538 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:43 AM

And for it's size, it weighs literally nothing :)

Edited by Doctor Ed, 01 June 2017 - 09:44 AM.

#539 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:57 AM

Are you gonna put a V8 in it? Why the huge airbox? Whats wrong with a alu tube and filter? Br, Per

#540 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:28 PM

400hp is 400hp of air regardless of it being a v8 or otherwise. RS6 V8 Turbo makes 450, so in my application it's perfect with a little headroom. TÜV frowns upon open filters, and I don't like them either. Loud, poor ambient feed capability. Quality of the filters themselves is debatable. This box for my build is a no brainer. Fits, convenient fitting locations, simple panel filter replacements, flows a shittonne.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users