Making The Jump

new owner

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ipitythefool

ipitythefool

• 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:59 PM

Long time lurker on the forum, but the time has finally come where I find myself in a position to buy so the time has come to introduce myself!

There have been a couple of instances in the past where I've toyed with VX ownership, however I've always convinced myself into something more 'practical' and subsequently regretted it. Having just sold my bike however, I don't plan on making the same mistake again this time around!

I'm set on a Tubby, and despite the weather am currently on the look out. I guess due to the time of year there don't seem to be many up for sale currently on the forum, however if anybody is aware of one a point in the right direction would be very much appreciated!

I'm realistically looking to spend up to £14k, a little more if the right car comes along. Ideally I'm looking for a stage 2 car as although a standard VXT ticks all the right boxes and will no doubt be more than enough for me in the short-mid term, I'm a realistic man and if my past few car experiences are anything to go by (350z, S2000 & MX5 Turbo), the urge to mod will quickly get out of hand and buying a pre-sorted car will likely save me some money in the long run!  :D

Although there are no stage 2's about currently there are a couple of stage 4 cars advertised on ebay at the moment. Now I'm under no illusions about my driving ability, and for a mid-engine beginner I think the power would be a bit too much to properly learn the car without regularly refreshing my underwear drawer. However I was interested to know how easily such a car could be 'detuned' to something a little more manageable. Worth looking at or would I be better served in a standard and working my way up progressively?

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. And hi!

-Alex 

#2 Ian59

Ian59

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, Music, Sci-Fi, Cars and driving,.

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:16 PM

welcome to the club. you won't regret buying one. Pm jonnyboy, he sells them and will give you good advice.     thumbsup  

#3 Alastair

Alastair

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:16 PM

Having been a bike rider would you not be able to regulate your need to stamp the throttle to the floor on a stage 4? You wouldn't jump on a bike and give it 100% beans. I am sure you would apply the same logic to a sg4 VX. I have an stage 2 S/C so different power delivery, and no doubt less power than a stage4 turbo, but its a pretty well behaved car with the weight over the rear wheels. I would say that a 328 Beamer would be less well behaved than an VX. I am sure someone might be along to correct me! Anyway - welcome, you wont regret it, even when its cold / wet and the heater is sh*t and you cant see where you are going at night time!

#4 turbo boy

turbo boy

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Interests:Cars, fitness, fishing, sports

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:35 PM

Hi Alex, I'm at stage 2 with no plans to go any further as many say that this is the sweet spot in VXT ownership.... Like others have said you just need to drive the car smoothly and avoid unbalancing it via braking or acceleration. You can always de tune a stage 4 via variable mapping so I would not worry. You could simply have a switch if you are prepared to pay out.... Best of luck mate. You will not regret buying a good VXT.. Jon

#5 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:02 PM

Absolutely agree... for me, both on road and track, I think a Stage 2 is the sweet spot.  On the road I really couldn't imaging needing any more power, and on the track, I get Clio 182s absolutely caining me, which confirms that I need to focus on gaining some experience rather than increasing power to make me quicker on the straights :)

#6 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:57 AM

Welcome. I have a stage 2 in yellow in and have another stage 2 in black coming in soon too. Both very clean low mileage cars 25/28k respectively.

#7 ipitythefool

ipitythefool

• 2 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:36 PM

Thanks for the welcome & all the input gents, it goes a long way toward confirming my suspicions about what I'm looking for - I just need to get out there and look at some cars now!

In regards to the stage 4 I mentioned I had seen advertised (yellow one on fleabay if anyone's interested), I've done some more research and judging by what I've read on here, the claimed 331bhp seems awfully ambitious... Stage 5 possibly? I'm giving it a miss anyway.

Welcome. I have a stage 2 in yellow in and have another stage 2 in black coming in soon too. Both very clean low mileage cars 25/28k respectively.

Cheers for the heads-up jonnyboy. A quick search has revealed your classifieds on pistonheads! The yellow vx looks a cracker - when is the black model expected in? I'm away with work until next Thurs but will drop you a PM end of the week when back to potentially see about arranging to come up.

-Alex

#8 Bennyy

Bennyy

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:49 PM

The yellow stage 4 on eBay has been sold for well over a month but the idiot keeps listing it.

#9 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:41 PM

Thanks for the welcome & all the input gents, it goes a long way toward confirming my suspicions about what I'm looking for - I just need to get out there and look at some cars now!

In regards to the stage 4 I mentioned I had seen advertised (yellow one on fleabay if anyone's interested), I've done some more research and judging by what I've read on here, the claimed 331bhp seems awfully ambitious... Stage 5 possibly? I'm giving it a miss anyway.

Cheers for the heads-up jonnyboy. A quick search has revealed your classifieds on pistonheads! The yellow vx looks a cracker - when is the black model expected in? I'm away with work until next Thurs but will drop you a PM end of the week when back to potentially see about arranging to come up.

-Alex

Back end of the month for the black one :)

#10 Harry Hornet

Harry Hornet

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:07 PM

-Alex

..Im on commission.... but can verify that any car that comes out of Jonnyboys stock will be a good'un...

..he is a hard guy to bargin with but will always throw in the odd mars bar, clean wipes and screen wash splitter, spoiler or carbon stuff.. ;)

HH

#11 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:43 PM

Thats another fiver in the post Ian :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new owner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users