74 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:28 PM

Anyone had one? Is it a car you bond with over time or are they a clinical German machine? I need one in my life at some point and with young kids that would fit in the back, now might be the right point in my life instead of a 2 seat sports car... I'd be looking at either: - early 996 with war chest for engine failure - late 996 from dealer with warranty and full inspection - early 997 c2

#2 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:42 PM

Evora HTH thumbsup

#3 stu8v

stu8v

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:45 PM

I suppose it depends what you want out of it?

#4 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:57 PM

You hear of some horror stories in terms of engine rebuilds etc... any truth in it?

#5 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:52 PM

http://www.pistonhea...ing-guide/30277

#6 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:58 PM

I wouldnt even look at Gen 1 997s or 996s personally. Ask P4cks on here for some advice!

I think I would probably prefer an Evora if really wanting 2 and a bit seats. Would need a bit more time in both to decide but both are pretty good from initial impressions. 

Not that many properly decent 4 seat cars available unfortunately.

#7 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:03 PM

Can you stretch to a 996 turbo? No engine issues

#8 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:05 PM

Good investment at the moment as well. 

#9 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:08 PM

Requirements:

- I will bond with & drive for the sake of it

- Something I'll use more often than the vx which often gets left at home as it only has 2 seats

- 3-4 track days a year without bankrupting me whilst putting a smile on my face

Things that bother my about a 911

- It'll be boring after the vx

- I'll look like a cock when driving it

- Cost of ownership

- Engine failure

- it's not a vx

- The only cars I've ever really loved have been light weight and nimble

You hear of some horror stories in terms of engine rebuilds etc... any truth in it?

Yes. Lots

#10 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:18 PM

996 turbo - I want a revvy/sweet NA that I can rev out and enjoy. Maybe a 997.2. Possibly a future classic as the last 911 with steering feel but feels like there's more depreciation to come in the short term.

Evora - too common ;) I'm also not convinced they're any more reliable than a 911 (did someone mention gearbox)

Both are more £££ than in want (will be allowed) to tie up in a car.

EDIT to add: I've always wanted a 911 - it's an itch I will scratch at some point. The Evora just doesn't have that 'pull'. A late E46 M3 probably meets all the requirements but that has subframe issues and has even more of an image issue than the 911.

Edited by Captain Vimes, 08 February 2016 - 09:25 PM.

#11 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:30 PM

I think a nice E46 has no image problem these days. You can get the subfame inspected or buy one thats had one of the kits installed (not the BMW foam injection "fix") A CS is quite desirable as well if you can find one. 

Its a shame in a way you cant get away with 2 seats as the Cayman S is a great car. You get a lot more use out of them at this time of year too. 

#12 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:33 PM

All gen 1 997 and 996 can incur mahooosive costs. The RMS and IMS issues on a carrera are small costs compared to the potential issues on a turbo. Turbos can need rebuilding, radiators can rust/leak, the 4wd system can whine, brakes are huge money and PASM can go on the fritz. I once bought a boxster s from a guy with a turbo. When he got it the receipts showed the front rads had been replaced at a cost of almost 12k from an OPC. Read up on Mole on SELOC, he bought a nice car with warranty etc and in the last 18 months has spent £15k on it (£5k on upgrades admittedly). Eyes wide open!

Edited by pete-r, 08 February 2016 - 09:35 PM.

#13 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:36 PM

Go and drive one, i think you'll find it/them pretty ordinary. 

The VX is quite a hard act to follow. they sound quite nice and they go quite well, but in the same way that a fast Golf does. 

996 is very dated now, i'd not touch one with a Barge pole. If i really had to it would be a Gen 2 997 (would love a GT3 but they are now silly money). 

#14 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:38 PM

Your points about it not being a VX, not nimble like a VX, boring after a VX. The Evora solves these, for me I would have bought it if it was a Vauxhall Evora. It's as close to the VX as you can get with 4 seats. "Same" bonded tub chassis, mid engined, nimble and definitely track able.

#15 stu8v

stu8v

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:41 PM

Requirements:

- I will bond with & drive for the sake of it

- Something I'll use more often than the vx which often gets left at home as it only has 2 seats

- 3-4 track days a year without bankrupting me whilst putting a smile on my face

Things that bother my about a 911

- It'll be boring after the vx

- I'll look like a cock when driving it

- Cost of ownership

- Engine failure

- it's not a vx

- The only cars I've ever really loved have been light weight and nimble

Yes. Lots

I suspect all the models you can afford will be boring and slow (relatively speaking)

An e46 m3 with brakes and suspension would murder all but the top end 911's, we've proven it.

All with no real issues other than rare subframe mount cracks.

#16 Hark

Hark

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:44 PM

I've looked recently. Can't afford a 997 gen 2 though, and engine issues on the early 997 scare the crap outta me.

#17 Cjh

Cjh

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:46 PM

Regarding the turbo take no notice of the above post. The front radiators can be solved from rusting and therefore failing by a simple piece of mesh in front. The engine on the 996turbo and 997 turbo is called the mezger engine and is a masterpiece derived from porsches race engine, no stronger engine anywhere. As for turbos needed rebuilding, well that's no different from any turbo car.

#18 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:50 PM

The Evora just doesn't have that 'pull'.

For me, right after driving one when a local dealer had one, i was completely hooked. 

it was a thought that didn't go away for nearly a year, in exactly they same way as the vx did in 2004. 

I've driven about 250 cars (as a conservative estimate :D, including about 10 Evoras :lol: yes they did make that many) in the meantime and no others have done the same other than the exige v6. very odd. 

#19 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:58 PM

The Evora just doesn't have that 'pull'.

For me, right after driving one when a local dealer had one, i was completely hooked.  it was a thought that didn't go away for nearly a year, in exactly they same way as the vx did in 2004.    I've driven about 250 cars (as a conservative estimate :D, including about 10 Evoras :lol: yes they did make that many) in the meantime and no others have done the same other than the exige v6. very odd. 
The only non lotus type product to give me the "same" amazing feel was the Huayra :lol:

#20 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:59 PM

Regarding the turbo take no notice of the above post. The front radiators can be solved from rusting and therefore failing by a simple piece of mesh in front. The engine on the 996turbo and 997 turbo is called the mezger engine and is a masterpiece derived from porsches race engine, no stronger engine anywhere. As for turbos needed rebuilding, well that's no different from any turbo car.

Anything can be solved, but with five rads (OK, three rads and two condensors), any car driven in the wet will accumulate detritus at the bottom of the radiators which causes them to rot.  A prudent buyer will wish to see evidence of clutch, radiator and disc changes, otherwise will budget for them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users