engine

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 _Achilles_

_Achilles_

• 7 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:24 AM

Hello

I've posted a couple of times a while back and you guys were awesome help. I've run into a bit of a dilemma with my NA. Unfortunately after two years of problem-free ownership and flying through 2 MOTs without any issues at all, my engine has completely died. 

The mechanic believes that an issue with the timing belt caused some of the valves to get damaged and it would require an engine replacement, or rebuild. Both of which are way out of my budget at the moment.. 

Its not the prettiest VX without its issues.. Its a CAT C. The paintwork really needed to be redone, along with some fibreglass fixing and baking. And I had planned to save up to renovate it back to its former glory. I still loved it. Now I don't know if I'll ever get the chance. 

Part of me wants to put it into storage until I can get the money together to have it fixed up. Another part of me wonders if it'd be better off just to sell it as is so maybe someone can take it on as a project and future track slag if need be,. 

Issues are as follows: 

- Took a risk and bought it with no service history, and CAT C. Checked body and everything and couldnt see any major damage. Its driven like a dream since I bought it until this engine problem

- Paintwork is dire. There was bubbling, pealing over the bonet, doors, etc. I plasti-dipped it myself to cover it temporarily until I could afford a respray

- I reversed into a small wall causing a smallish (about fist-sized) hole in the corner of the back bumper

- a week later I got hit by a lady while my car was parked in a car park of halfords, causing another fist-sized hole in the other corner of the bumper, along with a crack just below the exhaust

- The roof leaks

- The engine is completely dead now

Given the above, I wondered if I could have your honest opinion on what you think I should do with my baby? Should I ebay it, how much do you reckon i could get as is? Should I hold onto the dream? How much would I be looking at for an NA engine replacement?

Edited by _Achilles_, 07 March 2016 - 10:25 AM.

#2 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:29 AM

Hi bud, my engine died shortly after I bought it. I got a second hand engine for about £500 and a mechanic I use regularly charged me £100 to replace it (with help to get the clam off and on again). I have now joined the AA and if it goes again I'll get it replaced pretty much for free. Just to plant a seed ;)

#3 Alastair

Alastair

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:32 AM

Part it and sell it as spares? I am sure you might get more than selling it whole. You must have £2k's worth of seats, clams and lights before you even get to the other bits?

#4 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:38 AM

The mechianic needs sacking for a start... no belt :P

#5 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:47 AM

£100 to change an engine over is very very cheap indeed as it is a big job, I can't imagine anyone who wants to make a living charging that little.

#6 _Achilles_

_Achilles_

• 7 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:52 AM

Hi bud, my engine died shortly after I bought it. I got a second hand engine for about £500 and a mechanic I use regularly charged me £100 to replace it (with help to get the clam off and on again). I have now joined the AA and if it goes again I'll get it replaced pretty much for free. Just to plant a seed ;)

Thanks mate, Ill look into it. havent seen any 2nd NA hand engines cheap, but Id definitely go for it at £500

Part it and sell it as spares? I am sure you might get more than selling it whole. You must have £2k's worth of seats, clams and lights before you even get to the other bits?

This would be an option, but I don't have a driveway or anywhere to keep it. And with work these days I doubt I'd have the time to break it down. Do you think its worth putting it in the for sale section to sell whole?

The mechianic needs sacking for a start... no belt :P

lol my bad. Im probably misquoting him tbf

Edited by _Achilles_, 07 March 2016 - 10:53 AM.

#7 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:57 AM

The engine is a Z22SE. A quick look on ebay will show you they're pretty cheap.

#8 _Achilles_

_Achilles_

• 7 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:07 AM

The engine is a Z22SE. A quick look on ebay will show you they're pretty cheap.

you are an absolute star. I came up with nothing except £2k+ turbos with my searches, but these are the same price as the push-bike I was going to buy to get myself to work and back! 

Thank you for this

#9 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:15 AM

Before changing an engine, did they perform a compression test to check if the valves are bend because the timing chain snapped/skipped a few tooth??

A simple electric gremlim will cause a dead engine too...

#10 _Achilles_

_Achilles_

• 7 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:31 AM

Before changing an engine, did they perform a compression test to check if the valves are bend because the timing chain snapped/skipped a few tooth??

A simple electric gremlim will cause a dead engine too...

I'll ask him this, he didnt mention it. Tbf Im not sure he'd wanna take on the job himself. Does anyone know any experienced VX mechanics in the South Wales area by any chance?

He said that the engine would need to be taken out of the bottom, which Im certain isnt true. its just a case of removing the back clam

#11 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:37 AM

Andy at QMech 01656 841420 or 07732 194238 andy@qmech.co.uk

#12 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:38 AM

Or JimmyJamJerusalem if he's still got his spanners handy.

#13 Judderman

Judderman

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Driving on Welsh Roads, Gaming Xbox/PC

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:41 AM

Where abouts in south wales are you?

#14 _Achilles_

_Achilles_

• 7 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:46 AM

Andy at QMech 01656 841420 or 07732 194238 andy@qmech.co.uk

Much appreciated. I'll get in touch asap

Where abouts in south wales are you?

I'm in Bridgend

#15 Judderman

Judderman

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Driving on Welsh Roads, Gaming Xbox/PC

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:48 AM

Yep as Chris says Andy at QMECH is spot on and is in [color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Bridgend[/color], been using him for a few years now and cant fault him.

#16 _Achilles_

_Achilles_

• 7 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:05 PM

Thats awesome. I'll give him a buzz then. Thanks for all your help guys, really appreciate it

#17 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:06 PM

Could also send a PM to turboluca and see who he uses to do his mechanical work (he's in Swansea).

#18 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:46 PM

Brand new Saab engine for £750 might be a better option.

#19 jackturbostage4

jackturbostage4

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:50 PM

Pm turboluca as he's not far from you .

#20 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:56 PM

Brand new Saab engine for £750 might be a better option.

but how much to make it work

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users