side panels respray removal fibreglass

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ToyB

ToyB

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:14 AM

Has anyone successfully removed and replaced the complete fibreglass side panels on their VX220?

The question is because I am getting my VX fully resprayed in a funky colour and the guy doing the spraying would prefer to have just the panels so he can place them wherever he feels the need to. It would allow me to get a couple of repairs completed too.

The underlying issue is fully spraying under the sills on a very low car. The option of masking this area off and painting in, say black, seems a bit of a shame.

Are they fully bonded on or in part? Would a sharp blade on a powered saw work?

Thanks guys  :D

#2 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:15 AM

They're attached with polyurethane. I would strongly suggest you keep them on, you'll likely cause a lot of damage removing them.

#3 christhegasman

christhegasman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,316 posts
  • Interests:cars
    motorsport especially BTCC
    rugby
    eating out
    keeping fit

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:20 AM

I think you are referring to the sill panel which extends up to the rear clam around the air vents ? I think these are stuck on and not mare for easy removal without breaking them 😡

#4 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:40 AM

They are bonded on, and no longer available if anything happens with them..

Your painter needs to paint the car like that.

Both clams, bonnets, doors and rollbar cover can be removed.

Here's what your painter will work with:

Posted Image

Edited by smiley, 11 May 2016 - 10:56 AM.

#5 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:51 AM

Your painter should be used to painting cars with fixed sills - almost any metal bodied vehicle won't have removable sills either.

#6 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:07 AM

I'm sure he'll do it insitu if you pay him enough

#7 ToyB

ToyB

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:57 AM

Your painter should be used to painting cars with fixed sills - almost any metal bodied vehicle won't have removable sills either.

Absolutely, but most cars sills don't go back as far and horizontally, they usually are vertical and stop at the seam which is more accessible.

#8 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:20 PM

Absolutely, but most cars sills don't go back as far and horizontally, they usually are vertical and stop at the seam which is more accessible.

I've had my car fully repainted without issue. I suggest you find a new painter if this person feels he can't undertake the job, it also implies lack of familiarity with the car and I would be worried that this might result in other issues such as high temperature baking which could distort fibreglass.

#9 ToyB

ToyB

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:22 PM

Attached File  side panel sill.jpg   137.25KB   15 downloads

Has anyone successfully removed and replaced the complete fibreglass side panels on their VX220?

The question is because I am getting my VX fully resprayed in a funky colour and the guy doing the spraying would prefer to have just the panels so he can place them wherever he feels the need to. It would allow me to get a couple of repairs completed too.

The underlying issue is fully spraying under the sills on a very low car. The option of masking this area off and painting in, say black, seems a bit of a shame.

I have attached a photo, thankfully not my car, but it shows that the bottom sill rear of the side panel is almost a foot wide. Do most people spray this section?

#10 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:28 PM

Posted Imageside panel sill.jpg

I have attached a photo, thankfully not my car, but it shows that the bottom sill rear of the side panel is almost a foot wide. Do most people spray this section?

Yes.

Best done with the wheels off. Put the chassis on a dolly

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: side panels, respray, removal, fibreglass

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users