Photo

Fezzasus Heater - New Temperature Controller Design

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

Poll: Interest in replacement temp. controller (46 member(s) have cast votes)

New temperature controller needed

1. Yes (45 votes [97.83%])

Percentage of vote: 97.83%

2. No (1 votes [2.17%])

Percentage of vote: 2.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:23 PM

Just checking: - will all heaters fail eventually? - will there be other batches in the future? (my heater is still okay at the moment)

Hard to say, the majority seem fine, others are repeat offenders. 

I will be able to produce more batches

#42 Gadget2

Gadget2

• Pip
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:Race & Sprint Marshall

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:50 PM

Although my heater works fine, I'll take one and add it to my box of spares for if (not when) the potentiometer fails.

Thanks Tom

#43 NDT

NDT

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:05 PM

Hi Tom Will your replacement use the original VX heater knob cable gizmo? The bit that got replaced by the potentiometer?

#44 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:25 PM

Hi Tom Will your replacement use the original VX heater knob cable gizmo? The bit that got replaced by the potentiometer?

Cable is replaced, control is retained or available depending on needs - have located supplier

#45 2-20

2-20

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:08 PM

I voted yes but Quick question : Will it fit lhd cars?

#46 nicollow

nicollow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:28 PM

I'll need one of these. Cars like a sauna

#47 V220DR

V220DR

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:08 PM

Same as Nicollow car is roasting!

#48 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:19 PM

Very short term fix; take the air duct off.

These numbers are enough for me to get started. Update soon.

#49 Chris p

Chris p

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:52 PM

I think I will need one of these. My heater valve makes a very annoying thumping sound all the time so I unplugged it for now. I assume it's the mechanism in the valve skipping but haven't got round to stripping it down

#50 GiGo

GiGo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:05 PM

Not being funny, but your are basically saying that a part you have supplied in your heaters IS or has a VERY HIGH likely hood of failing and due to this fact you would like to know if people want to spend and additional £40 to make sure the heater they spent £250+ on carries on working?

Ok so the original heater was crap, your design has been very popular and it does indeed keep you warm/cool, ie it works!  I expect you have made very little on the supply and assembly of these heaters and I appreciate the 'RnD' that went into these in the first place and it was a brave move to offer these up to forum members such as myself, and I know there was no warranty implied.

BUT......

If it breaks due to no fault of the user and by your own admission it's the weakest part, then surely you should provide it for free?  Now as a businessman I understand that it would be a financial burden to provide everyone with a free "£40 solution", considering £40 is almost 20% of the original cost.  I wouldn't be prepared to buy a something knowing that it might not work correctly in 6 months, but I can spend more money on making it work.

I'm not trying to be negative, Tom you really have done a great job with building a new heater etc... but seriously!  Could something else in the heater then break costing another £40? Or is this the only thing that is weak?  (excluding the plastic screws that were broken when mine arrived).

I will just point out that I think the heater is great and it has kept me warm (the one time I actually drove the car :lol: ) but for spending more money on the hearter, no thanks, if it breaks I'll find another solution.

#51 Raptor

Raptor

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:56 PM

Not being funny but.. :)

#52 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:30 PM

Not being funny, but your are basically saying that a part you have supplied in your heaters IS or has a VERY HIGH likely hood of failing and due to this fact you would like to know if people want to spend and additional £40 to make sure the heater they spent £250+ on carries on working?

Ok so the original heater was crap, your design has been very popular and it does indeed keep you warm/cool, ie it works!  I expect you have made very little on the supply and assembly of these heaters and I appreciate the 'RnD' that went into these in the first place and it was a brave move to offer these up to forum members such as myself, and I know there was no warranty implied.

BUT......

If it breaks due to no fault of the user and by your own admission it's the weakest part, then surely you should provide it for free?  Now as a businessman I understand that it would be a financial burden to provide everyone with a free "£40 solution", considering £40 is almost 20% of the original cost.  I wouldn't be prepared to buy a something knowing that it might not work correctly in 6 months, but I can spend more money on making it work.

I'm not trying to be negative, Tom you really have done a great job with building a new heater etc... but seriously!  Could something else in the heater then break costing another £40? Or is this the only thing that is weak?  (excluding the plastic screws that were broken when mine arrived).

I will just point out that I think the heater is great and it has kept me warm (the one time I actually drove the car :lol: ) but for spending more money on the hearter, no thanks, if it breaks I'll find another solution.

1. These heaters haven't been produced since the start of 2014 and just as if this were supplied by a large company, any guarantee would be expired by now.

2. The component in question tends to fail in very early models, which are all up to 5 years old - this is not an age effect, the controller was improved significantly in later models.

2. I have supplied numerous replacements for free to date to address failures

4. If I am to support this heater going forward, i need to establish a cut off for supplying free replacement parts. This cut off is now.

5. Parts are direct from supplier at cost, if you are looking for another solution, this is the cheapest.

Edited by fezzasus, 27 May 2016 - 01:31 PM.

#53 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:59 PM

Tom which version was my 'B' stock heater? It's not blowing at the moment but that may be a ducting failure which I will look at tomorrow. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#54 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:13 PM

Tom which version was my 'B' stock heater? It's not blowing at the moment but that may be a ducting failure which I will look at tomorrow. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm afraid I can't recall, usually I update to the latest configuration if it's 'B stock'. Two things to look for;

1. short heater matrix (one is about 30 mm, one is 60mm, shorter is newer)

2. plug  on cable combing from cabin to heater matrix (early ones wired directly into controller - the plug allows a fully potted, watertight controller which has greatly decreased failures) 

#55 GiGo

GiGo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:25 PM

1. These heaters haven't been produced since the start of 2014 and just as if this were supplied by a large company, any guarantee would be expired by now.

2. The component in question tends to fail in very early models, which are all up to 5 years old - this is not an age effect, the controller was improved significantly in later models.

2. I have supplied numerous replacements for free to date to address failures

4. If I am to support this heater going forward, i need to establish a cut off for supplying free replacement parts. This cut off is now.

5. Parts are direct from supplier at cost, if you are looking for another solution, this is the cheapest.

1. Production and sale is different, if you were a large company the 'contract' starts from purchase/received date, also any guarantee that cover electrical products are covered for 6 years under UK law, but this would depend if you would consider the part electronic or not.

2. Perhaps I didn't read the first post fully and understand which heaters were affected, newer earlier models, I was assuming all of them, my fault for doing so.

3. I realise you have and I was not going against your character as a supplier/provider of the heaters, as I have said very happy with mine!

4. Understood, makes sense.

5. That's good to know and very decent of you to do such a thing! Many people wouldn't!

Tom as I have said I wasn't 'having a go' just miffed as to why I might have to spend more money on part that is 2/3 years old, when my original (albeit a heater that didn't really work that well), still operated 'as expected' and that was 13 years old!

#56 D-Dub

D-Dub

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:F1
    Squash
    Computers

Posted 29 May 2016 - 12:01 PM

Tom

If not to late can I order one please

#57 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:20 PM

Me please Tom if not too late

#58 PHB1969

PHB1969

Premium Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:55 PM

Me too please

#59 Extrapilot

Extrapilot

• Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, performance fossil fuel burning

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:02 AM

My heater is working fine, but having read this I suspect catastrophic failure within the next 24 hours, so I will take the required parts. On a completely seperate note what is happening re the light lenses? I now need a rear nearside lens due to someone clunking it in a car park

#60 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:24 AM

GMS on here makes and sells rear lenses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users