Fascinating "off Road" Hill Climbing Car

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:44 PM

I am currently fascinated by this thing: http://www.turnology...k-hill-climber/

More info here: https://www.facebook...698707/?fref=nf

I'd love to get involved with a ground up build like this, even if I was just the tea boy!

Edited by Nev, 18 May 2016 - 09:48 PM.

#2 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:23 AM

You'd think that a build like this would deserve a new seat. That one looks like it came out of a pond.

#3 Moschops

Moschops

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:15 AM

It looks good, but how did they manage to make something that compact weight over 800Kg? And why use a "truck" engine out of an escalade which probably weights loads and only produces "550 horsepower and 575 lb-ft of torque" boosted. I'm sure it's still an absolute weapon, but seems like a missed opportunity.

#4 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:48 PM

It looks good, but how did they manage to make something that compact weight over 800Kg? And why use a "truck" engine out of an escalade which probably weights loads and only produces "550 horsepower and 575 lb-ft of torque" boosted. I'm sure it's still an absolute weapon, but seems like a missed opportunity.

I think it was chosen as truck engines are robust and cheap. I bet it only cost about $5000 to $8000 including the extra bits.

It is just making 550 BHP on 6 PSI of boost whilst they develop it. If/when they turn the boost up to the easy 30 PSI those turbos can push out to 8000 RPM, that engine is probably strong enough to make well over 1000 HP, maybe even circa 1500.

That drivers cell looks so strong, never seen one with that much cross bracing and gusseting. Lovely long wishbone arms too.

Edited by Nev, 19 May 2016 - 01:00 PM.

#5 Mattyboi

Mattyboi

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:41 PM

Robustness is the key here, I'd say thats why they used a "truck" engine. It may "only" produce 550 bhp but because its so strong it might not have to derate at altitude. All the tuned road cars will loose loads of power the higher they run, this should be able to compensate and produce the ideal power all the way up.

#6 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 04:10 PM

Dead right Mattyboi, those turbos can sensibly output a PR of 3.5, so even at 4300 metres (the top of the Pikes Peak mountain) where the atmospheric pressure will be around 0.6 Bar, they will be able to convert that to around 0.6 * 3.5 = 2 Bar of boost. An NA at that height would be on it's arse.

#7 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:26 PM

Interesting design. Would like to see that in action.

#8 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:49 AM

This is why robust American V8 truck engines are good!   https://www.facebook...06432899134617/

Edited by Nev, 20 May 2016 - 07:51 AM.

#9 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:54 AM

drag racers use truck engines to slap a massive supercharger on get 2000bhp for 1/4 mile

#10 Mattyboi

Mattyboi

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:08 PM

Dead right Mattyboi, those turbos can sensibly output a PR of 3.5, so even at 4300 metres (the top of the Pikes Peak mountain) where the atmospheric pressure will be around 0.6 Bar, they will be able to convert that to around 0.6 * 3.5 = 2 Bar of boost. An NA at that height would be on it's arse.

Derate's a killer. The engines I develop have to produce their 3500 bhp peak power all the way up to 4500 metres. Its our big selling point over our competitors, we don't derate.

#11 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:21 PM

Derate's a killer. The engines I develop have to produce their 3500 bhp peak power all the way up to 4500 metres. Its our big selling point over our competitors, we don't derate.

Who do you work for and what exactly do you do Mattyboi?  

#12 Mattyboi

Mattyboi

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:33 PM

I'm a Senior Mechanical Development Engineer for Cummins High Horsepower Engineering. At the moment i'm working on engines for Komatsu 930 and 960 haul trucks but I work on all sorts of large diesel and gas engines.

Edited by Mattyboi, 26 May 2016 - 02:35 PM.

#13 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:44 PM

I'm a Senior Mechanical Development Engineer for Cummins High Horsepower Engineering. At the moment i'm working on engines for Komatsu 930 and 960 haul trucks but I work on all sorts of large diesel and gas engines.

Interesting job, sounds quite involved.  

#14 Mattyboi

Mattyboi

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:08 PM

Its really interesting, industrial engines are way ahead of passenger car engines in terms of technology and robustness. Most large mine equipment is electric drive so runs at rated power for nearly all its working life, which is in years, running 24/7. A good passenger car engine would last maybe 500 hours at rated if it was lucky, so less than a month.

#15 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 05:24 PM

I am still following this amazing creation, the designer/manufacturer is being pretty cagey with info, but here is a recent video showing how amazingly agile it is.

https://www.facebook...93331694154767/

They've had some part failures during testing, but it is hardly surprising on 1800 HP car which is built to be as light as possible.

I can't wait until it actually enters a race and we can see it in full action.

Edited by Nev, 10 November 2016 - 05:27 PM.

#16 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 06:29 PM

Needs more stickers

#17 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 07:07 AM

Needs more stickers

Ha ha, I think his stickers are mandatory based on the substantial donations/discounted work from various companies TBH, so fair enough on a circa $500,000+ car.

Unfortunately I still don't think he's found a buyer, I guess everyone is waiting to see how it does on Pikes Peak before they commit.  

Edited by Nev, 11 November 2016 - 07:15 AM.

#18 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:23 PM

Open headers in the diffuser: https://www.facebook...41410496013553/

Edited by Nev, 05 January 2017 - 09:24 PM.

#19 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:59 PM

The latest video:

https://youtu.be/ViXohHJvi6o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users