• Please log in to reply
513 replies to this topic

#1 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:14 PM

I've been looking at water injection to keep the iat lower Originally I was thinking of just using water but think I might be tempted to use meth also I know very little about it and just wondered if anyone has by expierence with meth I understand the bit about allowing us to get more ignition in etc But I'm more keen to discuss The jet position And what percentage of meth has what effect

#2 scw02102

scw02102

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:18 PM

Im in the same boat and was recommended by a local tuner to mix with meth, has proved to show good improvements on his dyno

He said its pretty easy and fairly cheap ish when compared to CC etc..

Been done lots on the Z20let & leh engine but not really worked much on the VX220, i assume there isnt much difference (as the engines are the same) other than the obvious heat difference

#3 chickendippers

chickendippers

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:56 PM

50/50 meth is the best mix

Jet position on a LET is just before the MAP sensor if you're not mapping it in, best way really if you don't always keep it topped up.

Ours will be running meth in the next week or two.

Can supply you with an AEM kit for ~£335.

#4 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:46 AM

Be aware of the aluminium corrosive and human handling issues it. I found a place that bulk sold it for 50p / Litre, so it can be found cheaply.

#5 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:55 AM

As you know I run it successfully already although only with water as my engine can't cope with more power. See my rebuild thread for jet positions. Or just have a nose around at Croft in a couple of weeks :) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:18 AM

50/50 meth is the best mix Jet position on a LET is just before the MAP sensor if you're not mapping it in, best way really if you don't always keep it topped up. Ours will be running meth in the next week or two. Can supply you with an AEM kit for ~£335.

It will be mapped in Thank for the offer on the kit but I'm keen to use the aquamist system and have got a good deal on it

#7 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:21 AM

As you know I run it successfully already although only with water as my engine can't cope with more power. See my rebuild thread for jet positions. Or just have a nose around at Croft in a couple of weeks :) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep I was thinking of doing the same as I'm not really after chasing anymore power I just want to hold on to the power I have on track Looks like I will need two set of jets One for a 50/50 mix and one for just water Think I will be starting of with just water then take it from there I will take a look at your thread And see if I can post position pics here I will be paying more attention to it at croft

#8 Mattias

Mattias

• PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:24 AM

Hi, 

I've been running WI on mine for a while now mainly to control iat.

If the only goal is to reduce IAT 100% water is best, the meth is more for reducing knock and anti-freeze.

If the goal is maximum power eg 50/50 water meth is better.

If you will run with OEM ecu there are some potential problems that might occur.

1. To gain power from lower IAT the reduced IAT must be seen by the temp sensor that is integrated in the map sensor. The IAT is lowerd by the energy needed to vaporize the injected water-mist hence the temp-sensor must be placed at least 300-500mm after the injector. And the injector should be placed after the IC.

2. When injecting water the engine might start to missfire due to to much liquid fuel+water so the high load fuel enrichment should be replaced by the water injection.

3. If meth is used the fueling will need to be adapted also since meth is fuel.

4. Due to the points above, to get full effect the oem ecu will have to be tuned to always run with WI

My setup with aftermarket ECU enables me to run dual fuel and ignition maps so I can run with WI on or off and the maps switch when WI is injecting.

In my experience the IAT always drops and hold about 40degC @ 1,6-1,7 bar boost and if IAT is lower than 40 to begin with it wont drop because there is not enough heat to vaporize the water.

I inject after charge cooler and have my IAT-sensor right before the TB.

Here you can see the difference with and without WI ( had a bad boost valve as you can see... )

Posted Image

#9 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:42 AM

Need wideband with meth.

#10 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:47 AM

Yep I got wide band Will be running dual maps Injection on Injection off ( with a fail safe ) Worth mentioning at this point the car is supercharged

#11 Mattias

Mattias

• PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:10 AM

Yep I got wide band Will be running dual maps Injection on Injection off ( with a fail safe ) Worth mentioning at this point the car is supercharged

Aaa, was fooled by previous post.

With S/C probably 2 injectors between the intake runners  is best to get  good distribution to all cylinders. Basically the advantage of injecting as close as possible to the combustion chamber is effective cooling of combustion chamber. The downside is that the only way to measure the result is on a dyno...

#12 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:14 AM

An egt sensor would be ideal to compliment WI

#13 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:29 AM

How do you switch between maps with (current) OBD? Or you mean just to load a different mapping in with a laptop for f.i. track use?

#14 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:04 AM

How do you switch between maps with (current) OBD? Or you mean just to load a different mapping in with a laptop for f.i. track use?
It's all in preparation for the next edition The plan was just to fine the map for water injection only to start with Then when auto dual maps come in the pro version I will then have water/meth and put a larger pulley on the HArrop and get the power back by leaning on the meth more to keep power the same on track but have less boost and the safe map will then be used for road which will not be as powerful Just taking one step at a time and putting water injection on first until the new version of Obd is available

#15 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:09 PM

I need a tank as the last thing,

#16 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:14 PM

I did consider doubling up the washer bottle but think it might be a touch small Aquamist sell them which acid has got behind the seats Just need to get the pump lower

#17 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:36 PM

Hi, 

I've been running WI on mine for a while now mainly to control iat.

If the only goal is to reduce IAT 100% water is best, the meth is more for reducing knock and anti-freeze.

If the goal is maximum power eg 50/50 water meth is better.

If you will run with OEM ecu there are some potential problems that might occur.

1. To gain power from lower IAT the reduced IAT must be seen by the temp sensor that is integrated in the map sensor. The IAT is lowerd by the energy needed to vaporize the injected water-mist hence the temp-sensor must be placed at least 300-500mm after the injector. And the injector should be placed after the IC.

2. When injecting water the engine might start to missfire due to to much liquid fuel+water so the high load fuel enrichment should be replaced by the water injection.

3. If meth is used the fueling will need to be adapted also since meth is fuel.

4. Due to the points above, to get full effect the oem ecu will have to be tuned to always run with WI

My setup with aftermarket ECU enables me to run dual fuel and ignition maps so I can run with WI on or off and the maps switch when WI is injecting.

In my experience the IAT always drops and hold about 40degC @ 1,6-1,7 bar boost and if IAT is lower than 40 to begin with it wont drop because there is not enough heat to vaporize the water.

I inject after charge cooler and have my IAT-sensor right before the TB.

Here you can see the difference with and without WI ( had a bad boost valve as you can see... )

Posted Image

ohh Haltech, was it much work to integrate with the loom and car?

#18 Mattias

Mattias

• PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:29 PM

ohh Haltech, was it much work to integrate with the loom and car?

I made an excel sheet first to have all connections figured out, then I cut the loom by the oem ecu and put in plug n play connectors. I have all oem functions working like dash, aux pump for shutdown turbo cooling etc.     But I'm planing on replacing as much of the oem wiring harness as possible in the future since it seems to be causing some problems with sensors and injector latency etc.

#19 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:14 PM

I have offered to help many times (not just Chris I might add, not targeting you here), given advice based on what I learned. I clearly got outstanding results. But carry on, use the cheap sh*t with crappy boost based control. Follow bad info when it suits you. BTW if water will not evap at 40 deg c why would it at 60? Thats not how it works. As long as the charge is above ambient WI will cool futher. We pulled it down to 23 deg from hitting 90 deg without it turned on fyi. And Neil still aint got his finger out to even optimise it.

#20 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:27 PM

Doesn't Aquamist also support injector pulse?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users