• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#1 muckyman

muckyman

• PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Barmaids

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:02 AM

Early morning drive in London and I find myself at first in the queue at a set of lights waiting to turn left - indicators flashing obviously. Bicycle pulls up to my inside. Ok, I think - he'll be turning left so I'll give him room when the lights change. Green light, and I move forward and begin to turn left - leaving room for the cyclist. A tirade of abuse follows and he bangs his wheel to the side against my rear wheel. Oh, he wanted to go straight on. Why the fcuk was he filtered to my left if he wanted to go straight, especially as I was clearly indicating left!!? Little wonder they frequently end up under the wheels of buses and lorries - plus the abuse from him was uncalled for. No doubt for the benefit of the pedestrians who will likely then think it was my fault and I cut him up. Bloody cyclists!!! (I know, it's not all of them - but if they haven't got the road sense they should get the bus)

#2 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:25 AM

If it was me, I would have let you head off first and make your turn. For every douchebag of a cyclist there's a poor driver.

Sounds like he was angry you were ruining his strava segment, what a dick!

#3 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:28 AM

Fcuking lycra clad bellends.

#4 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 07 August 2016 - 09:50 AM

on a cycle forum somewhere , a righteous person with anger issues will be venting about the gross injustice of being cut up by a sports car with a blindspot

#5 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:15 AM

Fcuking lycra clad bellends.

I've been called worse :lol:

#6 Kunie

Kunie

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 01:26 PM

Not taking sides but as a sports car driver and cyclist I find I get way more abuse of drivers who don't appreciate how vulnerable you are on a bike. Agree with Rob, and let's face it what's the worst that's going to happen to the driver....anyway back to the beach volleyball 😄

#7 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 02:00 PM

what's the worst that's going to happen to the driver....

He gets his car damaged through no fault of his own by some idiotic self righteous cock on a bike who will just try to ride off without taking responsibility.

I live near Richmond Park so have to encounter cyclists more than the average person and it isnt a minority. In general the ones dressed up like a Sky team member are lairy and aggressive usually to people they think they can bully. The attitude some car drivers have to cyclists is the fault of these fools but they're too up their own arses to realise it. 

#8 myles

myles

Sausagefest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 02:03 PM

what's the worst that's going to happen to the driver....

He gets his car damaged through no fault of his own by some idiotic self righteous cock on a bike who will just try to ride off without taking responsibility. I live near Richmond Park so have to encounter cyclists more than the average person and it isnt a minority. In general the ones dressed up like a Sky team member are lairy and aggressive usually to people they think they can bully. The attitude some car drivers have to cyclists is the fault of these fools but they're too up their own arses to realise it. 
.and then the poor dears post a video of you driving after them to discuss why they thought it right to damage your car.

#9 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 06:47 PM

Anyone in full team gear or sporting a helmet cam are super duper prize bellends. :lol:

#10 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 07 August 2016 - 07:16 PM

I really like the deaf / stupid ones in a group who ride 4 a breast on nice country 50/60mph lanes and decide not dropping to single file for a safe overtake been the right option. I lived in semiiiiiii rural village for a few years and seen some shocking cyclists.....also countless div drivers flat out on blind courners in of course the fastest cars in the world 535d's driving gods and other boring stuff lol. Then the horses kicking off after you have no idea they are there 😉 DG

#11 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:14 PM

I've been driving articulated lorries round London at morning rush 3 hours for well over a decade and I am constantly shocked at what little regard the average (not minority) cyclist has for his or her own mortality. Every time another cyclist dies on London roads there's a flurry of outrage about the criminally negligent lorry driver who is always assumed to have caused the accident whatever the actual facts are. Recently I saw an article about a woman who died under the wheels of a lorry, the police obviously investigated the incident and found there was no case to answer but the family backed by the ever present cyclist lobby group are now going after the driver with a private prosecution. They were appalled that the police didn't take matters further despite there being cctv of the lorry indicating left at lights and as he moved away the woman came up the inside. They claim he should have seen her in his mirrors, well the blind spots on a lorry are big enough to hide another lorry let alone a cyclists and although we now have 6 mirrors in 3 areas you can only look in one direction at a time. Luckily I don't go into London at the morning rush anymore, I changed my shift in no small part because the cyclist problem, I don't want that on my conscience even if it wasn't my fault. rant

#12 Crunchie

Crunchie

• PipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Interests:Lots of different things, in lots of different places

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:18 PM

At the risk of being boring, many people are bloody awful on the roads some times, fewer people are awful most of the time and some people are awful all the time. This lot can ride bikes, motorbikes, drive cars, busses or trucks. Some pedestrians are stupid too. People are stupid, loads of people are pretty thick. It's best to let go of the anger and focus on something else.

#13 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 08 August 2016 - 05:32 AM

At the risk of being boring, many people are bloody awful on the roads some times, fewer people are awful most of the time and some people are awful all the time. This lot can ride bikes, motorbikes, drive cars, busses or trucks. Some pedestrians are stupid too. People are stupid, loads of people are pretty thick. It's best to let go of the anger and focus on something else.

That's dead true, just too many stupid thoughtless unaware people on this planet. The education system should put more emphasis on making kids (and thence adults) more self aware and reliant. Far too many people leave school with 0 ability to integrate adequately with the rest of the population.

#14 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:12 AM

I ride and I drive and have to agree here. Equal number of dicks on bikes and behind the wheel.

I try to ride to respect motorists and try to drive to respect cyclists/other road users, but unfortunately there are many individuals that don't share this ethos.

#15 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:44 AM

As a keen cyclist I have to say that cyclists are there own worst enemy. I live in an area where the London Olympic route is and the Tour of Britain used. I find cyclists very inconsiderate, riding 2 abreast, sometimes more, thinking they own the road. Yesterday around my area the was a cycle race (they call it a cycle event) which makes driving in the area a right pain.

On the other hand I've been out cycling and built up a good speed only for the car in front to slam on his brakes to let someone out of their drive, wasting all the speed i had, really yanks my chain :(

#16 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:23 AM

Agree with the above. I'm a keen cyclist also see a huge amount of inconsiderate riding by cyclists.

I do however see, and have experienced, inconsiderate driving by motorists.

As ayresyy said, equal number of dicks on bikes as there are behind the wheel.

#17 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:23 AM

Driving around Edinburgh I see them too.

My favourite hate other than the one in the OP of them flying down the left hand side of you turning left is shoulder checking.

Cyclists on the whole don't do a shoulder check. I seen a girl on some rusty old thing with a basket wiped out by a taxi last week on lothian road. she didn't look at all let alone have a gander over her shoulder before she swerved in front of the taxi. Wandering over the road carelessly seems to be a sport for them.

There needs to be basic level of training for people who wish to cycle on the public highway. The roads are too busy now and it needs to change.

A motorcyclist would fail his/her test for missing a shoulder check.

#18 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:34 AM

probably wearing headphones / in ear phones as well.

#19 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:47 AM

Driving around Edinburgh I see them too.

My favourite hate other than the one in the OP of them flying down the left hand side of you turning left is shoulder checking.

Cyclists on the whole don't do a shoulder check. I seen a girl on some rusty old thing with a basket wiped out by a taxi last week on lothian road. she didn't look at all let alone have a gander over her shoulder before she swerved in front of the taxi. Wandering over the road carelessly seems to be a sport for them.

There needs to be basic level of training for people who wish to cycle on the public highway. The roads are too busy now and it needs to change.

A motorcyclist would fail his/her test for missing a shoulder check.

Even with me being a MAMIL :ninja:  I totally agree on this, some sort of formal training/licencing for cyclists would help to prevent a lot of discord and aggravation between drivers and cyclists but most importantly, it would save lives.

#20 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Nothing

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:53 AM

As a keen cyclist and a keen driver, I can say that they're both as bad as each other. Car forums are full of people quick to attack cyclists and vise-versa. Only the guys who do both can see both sides.

However until you become a cyclist, you'll never understand how vulnerable and frightening being on our roads can be, especially when you get clipped by someone doing 40mph playing chicken with your life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users