• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#41 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:31 AM

I know, I find the same in my car, having to move past parked cars and skips is a real pain... all that looking over your shoulder, checking your mirrors, waiting etc., I lose so much speed and it takes me ages to build it back up again in my gutless little fiat 500 ;)

Sorry, on leave from work today so got some time on my hands... maybe I should vent more positively... like bleeding the brakes on my VX... I really can't be arsed though.

;) thumbsup

#42 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:46 AM

I've been driving articulated lorries round London at morning rush 3 hours for well over a decade and I am constantly shocked at what little regard the average (not minority) cyclist has for his or her own mortality. Every time another cyclist dies on London roads there's a flurry of outrage about the criminally negligent lorry driver who is always assumed to have caused the accident whatever the actual facts are. Recently I saw an article about a woman who died under the wheels of a lorry, the police obviously investigated the incident and found there was no case to answer but the family backed by the ever present cyclist lobby group are now going after the driver with a private prosecution. They were appalled that the police didn't take matters further despite there being cctv of the lorry indicating left at lights and as he moved away the woman came up the inside. They claim he should have seen her in his mirrors, well the blind spots on a lorry are big enough to hide another lorry let alone a cyclists and although we now have 6 mirrors in 3 areas you can only look in one direction at a time. Luckily I don't go into London at the morning rush anymore, I changed my shift in no small part because the cyclist problem, I don't want that on my conscience even if it wasn't my fault. rant

I was reading an article about that girl, the family are upset yes but the Lorry also waited 5 seconds after the lights went green to give the peddlers time to move away.

He did nothing wrong and the girl was completely at fault.

Even if the lorry was not indicating I would not be putting myself up the inside of a lorry, what a stupid place to be, they are massive, hard metal big turny wheels and I am a small squishy human...

#43 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
  • Interests:Whisky.Keeping reptiles.Cars.
    The odd bike ride, fell walk and weights
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:56 AM

Can of worms maybe but I think part of your car driving test should be a few mile on a bike across a busy town then motorists have some idea what it's like and maybe more thoughtful to cyclists. Obviously some cyclists are dicks but also a lot of motorists run with the motto " save a few seconds on your journey and cut up a cyclist 😂 Don't forget every cyclist you see is one less fecking car on the road 👍😄 chill out, sit back and relax and let the cyclist have all the road he needs, what's a few seconds on your journey the poor fuckers probably knackered anyway 😂 After he has gone just gently press that pedal on the right and your back to the same place as before, your blood pressure hasn't gone up, the cyclist is safe and everyone's happy. I bet if the cyclist was a fit blonde in skimpy gear with big tits you'd give her all the room she needed 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

#44 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:59 AM

working in London all I see it peddlers being stupid doodahs. the amount of times I have had to jump out the way of such a doodah on a green man I lost count.

They have reworked Aldgate to have massive cycle only lanes (blue highway or some sh*t) that are separate to the pavement and I still see peddlers using the pavement and the road, about 2 in every 10. Usually the ones in the road is the one with "all the gear" and all his gear on show.

#45 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:13 PM

Can of worms maybe but I think part of your car driving test should be a few mile on a bike across a busy town then motorists have some idea what it's like and maybe more thoughtful to cyclists. Obviously some cyclists are dicks but also a lot of motorists run with the motto " save a few seconds on your journey and cut up a cyclist 😂 Don't forget every cyclist you see is one less fecking car on the road 👍😄 chill out, sit back and relax and let the cyclist have all the road he needs, what's a few seconds on your journey the poor fuckers probably knackered anyway 😂 After he has gone just gently press that pedal on the right and your back to the same place as before, your blood pressure hasn't gone up, the cyclist is safe and everyone's happy. I bet if the cyclist was a fit blonde in skimpy gear with big tits you'd give her all the room she needed 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

If she's got a cracking rack then I'll just see if she wants the passenger seat instead. Always funny watching them bounce around in the VX with all the bumpy roads and stiff suspension !

More seriously though, it's not the knackered cyclists that are ever the problem, they are usually the ones welcoming a break at traffic lights. It's the lycra sky sports wankers who will stop for nothing including their own safety who are the problem.

#46 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:19 PM

thumbsup

#47 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:19 PM

All the lovin patience and space giving in the world will not stop cyclists running red lights, not checking properly before they move lanes, shooting up left hand side of vehicles turning left and falling off on tram tracks.

#48 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:31 PM

If she's got a cracking rack then I'll just see if she wants the passenger seat instead. Always funny watching them bounce around in the VX with all the bumpy roads and stiff suspension !   More seriously though, it's not the knackered cyclists that are ever the problem, they are usually the ones welcoming a break at traffic lights. It's the lycra sky sports wankers who will stop for nothing including their own safety who are the problem.
Yep get them in massive groups near me bunched all across the road so they can talk ! Wankers 👍😄how about talk in the pub after the ride.

#49 Steve.i.am

Steve.i.am

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Interests:Bends

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:14 PM

Cone on chaps - we all have to share the roads. Live and let live and all that.

Except horses - they can f*** right off. And busses.

And mini cabs.

#50 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:17 PM

And couriers. Be they on a push bike, a motor bike, in an Addison Lee people carrier or in a van. Invariably inconsiderate twats.

#51 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:32 PM

Cone on chaps - we all have to share the roads. Live and let live and all that.

Except horses - they can f*** right off. And busses.

And mini cabs.

Agreed we do, but a driver driving like a twat causes a smashed wing or dented rear end. A huge percentage of car on car incidents don't result in fatality. I bet that can't be said for when a cyclist is being a twat.

#52 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Nothing

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:58 PM

All the lovin patience and space giving in the world will not stop cyclists running red lights, not checking properly before they move lanes, shooting up left hand side of vehicles turning left and falling off on tram tracks.

But you're more likely gonna see a motorist do something stupid on your journey home than a cyclist.

All this talk of cycling made me go out for a ride at lunch, and I'm pleased to say that only one person tried to kill me. Woo hoo!

A woman in a Nisan Micra pulled out of a housing estate right in front of me. To be fair, she did have 2 kids in the back that she was giving all her attention to, so hitting me was the last thing on her mind....

#53 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:00 PM

But you're more likely gonna see a motorist do something stupid on your journey home than a cyclist.

Not for me

Edited by Andrew aka Stuwy, 09 August 2016 - 03:00 PM.

#54 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Nothing

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:05 PM

Not for me

London being one of the exceptions :)

Imagine how much busier and more polluted it'd be if all those cyclists were in cars instead :)

#55 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:15 PM

Imagine how much busier and more polluted it'd be if all those cyclists were in cars instead :)

Except most of them wouldn't be in cars they'd be back on their feet, the buses, the underground, etc and sparing us their lycra fetishes.

#56 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:14 PM

You missed the point again👍😄 it won't but it may just stop a death or two and help keep your blood pressure down 😂

#57 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:09 PM

I have to say I find drivers that want to give cyclists a whole lane of clearance very slightly more annoying. When was the last time one of those drivers gave a pedestrian that much clearance... oh but they are safe as they are protected by a 4 inch curb!

The chances of a cyclist swerving to avoid a pothole, certainly round our way, are high. On my regular cycle routes the potholes are so bad I have to indicate to go round them when cars are behind me. 99% of car drivers from my experience understand and I give them a token wave and thumbsup as they pass.

#58 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:47 PM

I have to say I find drivers that want to give cyclists a whole lane of clearance very slightly more annoying. When was the last time one of those drivers gave a pedestrian that much clearance... oh but they are safe as they are protected by a 4 inch curb!

The chances of a cyclist swerving to avoid a pothole, certainly round our way, are high. On my regular cycle routes the potholes are so bad I have to indicate to go round them when cars are behind me. 99% of car drivers from my experience understand and I give them a token wave and thumbsup as they pass.
Good drivers understand cyclists needs 👍 sh*t drivers haven't got a fecking clue and just get angry over nothing.

#59 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:40 AM

You missed the point again👍😄 it won't but it may just stop a death or two and help keep your blood pressure down 😂

The point was if a cyclist does something that puts themselves in danger theres not a lot a driver can do about it. Never mind that they are breaking the law...  

#60 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:46 AM

Not for me

I would not care I don't drive into the city, its a polluted stink hole anyway and anyone that drives by choice into the city is a moron.

3 last night on the pavement.

and 1 jumped a red light this morning.

In my very short walk from Liverpool street to Aldgate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users