231 replies to this topic

#1 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:33 PM

I'm on day 1 of an open ended euro trip with my good mate in his freshly Honda'd S1 Exige. We've been planning it for years but only 2 years ago we both ended up with the cars to do it in. Last year it was all booked but my sciatica meant that we had to cancel. We had the Frolic booked and thankfully Paul at LoT credited us so we could take part this year. This thread is to document our trip - the track days, the experience, the differences between the two cars both on track and as cross continental cruisers. It's been a fretful build up. My engine went pop three weeks ago and Rich's Honda conversion which was originally being finished by TDI south ended up going to Maidstone Kent as TDI fecked it up. But that's another story. So, we've just landed in Rouen after a terrible 13 hour drive due to shocking holiday traffic in England. We only have the week in Orange booked in terms of holidays. We booked the hotel here online while under the channel. This is how we roll. Totally unprepared, but prepared for anything! Stay tuned for some pics and shiz. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:36 PM

I feel your pain, I was booked to go last year but my mate was ill, and due to go this year but he can't cos of work. Arrrghhh! Have an amazing time, I'm sure you will. Pics!!!!!

#3 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:38 PM

Cheers Pete. Gutted for you. No pics yet, too stressful a journey but there will be many :) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Acidpopstar, 19 August 2016 - 10:38 PM.

#4 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:58 PM

Have a riot dude but be safe. Plenty of photos please.

#5 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:40 AM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The hotel in Rouen. 'Irish' bar in Rouen, and the nightclub I got refused entry to cos I was still wearing my stinking t-shirt and shorts from the drive.

I think they smelled English :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:24 AM

i hope the car runs ok for you now :)

fingers crossed and dont forget, im only a phonecall away :)

#7 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:36 AM

Some of my beat euro trips were planned to this level of detail! 😎 Took 7.5hrs from Coventry to Anglesea yesterday I hear your travelling woes Enjoy DG

#8 james.a

james.a

Proud member of the Northants Pedantic Crew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts
  • Interests:Driving Trigger's broom since March 2010

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:38 AM

Have a great trip. Have spent many an hour exploring Rouen.

#9 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:35 AM

Well, the points go to the VX for practicality which isn't a surprise. I got a big travel bag, helmet, tool bag two bottle of distilled water and other bits and bobs in my boot. Rich got... Ah yeah the Exige doesn't have a boot does it? All his stuff is piled on his passenger seat. Pretty comical really. My VX has actually got less comfortable and noisier since being in my ownership. Even with the NTRs on almost full soft the ride is really firm which is now exacerbated by fitting Avon ZZRs. The sidewall is crazy stiff and it now feels like a rollerskate with ceramic wheels on anything other than perfectly smooth Tarmac. Can't wait to try them on track though. Rich has bigger 46mm NTRs and the same tyres so has the same issues but for some reason his car doesn't rattle half as much as mine. Well I guess it's many reasons really - my arch liners are barely attached and my windows rattle like crazy as well as all he other VX noise issues. I'm still in love with the car though so it's (just) bearable. But points to the Exige here. The VX wins again when it comes to staying cool. Just take the roof off! Rich is already medium rare thanks to a fixed roof, a crazy hot engine bay and now a hot sill and nose thanks to the oil cooler installed at the front and the pipes that run down the side. He's literally dripping with sweat every time we stop for fuel :D Oh, and he took out his lotus aircon to save weight! So today we are off to see the Normandy landings then travelling... no fecking idea actually! We'll decide on location and book hotel over breakfast. Wonder how long it'll take before our luck runs out and we have to sleep under the stars? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:38 AM

i hope the car runs ok for you now :)   fingers crossed and dont forget, im only a phonecall away :)

Forgot to mention that when I got in the car to set off yesterday it wouldn't fire up!! Panic set in but a quick call to Chris sorted it. He calmly talked me through a couple of checks while eating his frostys and it turned out that I'd dislodged the fuse for the fuel pump while jamming everything in the boot :D Thanks again for all your help bud. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:49 AM

Better tyrib the relays to their holder to prevent this.

Enjoy the trip.

#12 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 08:02 AM

I did the same thing in mine once not long after buying it, and subsequently taped the relays in place and to the side of the clam. Hope you have a breadcrumb trail app on your phone to record your route.

#13 Steve.i.am

Steve.i.am

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Interests:Bends

Posted 20 August 2016 - 08:13 AM

Cool thread. My motorbike euro trips were generally of the make it up as you go along type. The best. I assume you fixed your radiator fan? Have fun.

#14 stu8v

stu8v

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 08:40 AM

Looks like a blast 👍

#15 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:03 AM

Have a top trouble free time Neil :)

#16 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 20 August 2016 - 10:44 AM

Looks awesome. I dont envy your pal driving the S1 with the roof on they are literally like ovens!

#17 Madmitch

Madmitch

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:11 PM

If you are coming south west from Orange we are near Carcassonne and it's always open house for petrolheads!

#18 Bootdog

Bootdog

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:17 PM

Us Irish will always welcome the Engliah, Ive been told we're all kin after all's said and done - just dont go to an Irish pub in your trainers ;-) Get a strip of foam to put on the seat to cushion out the NTRs - Ive used a bit of carpet underlay for a run up to scotland, almost the best mod Ive done, and totally reversible in about 2 seconds!

#19 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:14 AM

Well today was an adventure. Long story short we 'booked' a hotel in La Rochelle (firme la porte and all that from the Tricolor books in GCSE French!) drove for 5 hrs to get there, parked in the underground car park and turned up at reception just craving a cold one... only to be told 'no room at the inn'! We'd only gone and fcuked the dates up on the phone app. So the lovely bloke at reception tried every single hotel in town for us but not one single room available. It's the busiest weekend In France and the whole city is booked out. We finally managed to find a budget Ibis in Noirt 50 miles away so after a swift half in La Rochelle we got back in our cars and pegged it to our beds. I'm now (3am) a bottle of vino in and slightly less frazzled but jeezus we were nearly sleeping next to the cars. Proper adventure though. So what have I deduced car wise today? The Exige wins hands down on sound. It sounds like a race car, angry and furious. Every tunnel we came to we did the obvious and I'm blown away by it. Bit worried about how it will fare with noise checks on track but hoping it will be a lax test. My car is faster. Really surprised actually. We've had many little tests when bored on motorways and especially when setting off from the dreaded toll booths (how fcuking expensive is it to drive across this country??) and I defo have more grunt. Rich's Exige has the newer K20z4 engine. Not sure but I don't think many loti have this one. It has 750cc injectors and an RBC inlet mani and Skunk2 70mm pro series throttle body. Also INTZY DK hose. Whatever that is. Dynoed at 253bhp and revs to 8300 rpm. Mine was road mapped with Dutch software at 259bhp I think but I must have at least 100kg more in the bones of the car. And I've had a replacement engine. It really needs mapping again I guess. Not using the WI on road though. We had some fun playing with people and SOOO many people taking pics and vids out of their cars it's crazy. Look out for us on YouTube :) 7 hour journey to Orange tomorrow! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:37 AM

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users