• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 prallyx

prallyx

• Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Rallycross, rallycross and a bit of...eh rallycross

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:07 PM

Im planning on doing the above, cant find a huge amount of info on the ald interweb regarding the ins and outs of it. I believe its best to use the 5 speed box but after that im a bit in the dark, 

Will the vx shafts and mounts work?

I bought a bare vx shell and got the astra running gear for cheap before anyone questions my sanity!

#2 two4oneuk

two4oneuk

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:20 PM

Normal turbo f23 box and shafts will fit but you need a z20let flywheel and clutch assembly

#3 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:12 AM

Its a fairly straightforward conversion If you keep the m32 box which I prefered you either track down / spend cash on Europa shafts and gearbox mounts along with a 2-11/toyota elise/exige etc shifter Or mod / make the above - I have done both and one is as straight forward as fitting the oem f23 setup the other just needs some time skills / someone to fabricate Drop the vxr ecu and loom and retro fit a std zlet stuff. There are a few minor plugs ie sure the sump sensor is a diff plug so cut and join the Leh one or put a let sensor in Ecu will need reworking to work die to diff injectors etc I did 2 on oem management and one on my standalone package DG

#4 prallyx

prallyx

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 02:41 PM

Thanks for the info lads, I plan on going standalone so ditching the loom, So Astra engine clutch and flywheel, and f23 box seems like the most straight forward solution, Any dog gear kits and decent lsd's available for the f23?

#5 prallyx

prallyx

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 03:23 PM

Will any F23 gearbox fit or do I need a specific vx220 one?

#6 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:10 PM

Why ditch the oem wiring? If you want easy just retain the oem ecu and loom (you can remove a lot of it if you wanted and no plans to ever reverse) Use the oem ecu to run the car minus engine and also feeding the dash etc. This allows you also to plug in and diagnosis air bag etc Or just wip the lot out and depending on ecu extra work to calibrate and work the feeds etc Lsd of atb and plate version available for f23, with rwd revised option. M32 also has the atb bit never looked at if there was a plate version DG

#7 prallyx

prallyx

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:40 PM

Thanks DG, 

I started with a bare shell vx, no dash, loom, engine....just a tub with 4 wheels. Picked up the Vxr but unfortunately it arrived with no key so up against it from the start when it came to the ecu. I will be upgrading the engine next year and will be looking for anti lag etc so I may as well bite the bullet now and go for a standalone. 

Ill be fitting a plate lsd but aim for a dog box or possibly a sequential next year also. Can I fit an F20 box...a much bigger range when it comes to gear kits and the likes for that box.  

Apologies for all the questions, i'm new to Vauxhall/Opel...ask me anything Peugeot related though!

Posted Image

#8 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:43 PM

Makes sense to go full standalone for your wants and current status 😊 No idea on F20 box side of things tbh DG

#9 prallyx

prallyx

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:48 PM

I might just stick with the f23 until I get a bit more familiar with the car...ive enough on my plate with trying to get this lot to gel,

Thanks for your help....any particular f23 box or will any from the vaux range do?

#10 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:32 PM

Thanks for your help....any particular f23 box or will any from the vaux range do?

Need to make sure you get an F23 with the correct starter motor position for your engine. You'll want one with the starter position on the diff side of the bellhousing and not on the opposite side like the 2.2 uses. Standard VXT box has an AF ident code and a 3.65 final drive but there's load of different ident codes with the starter in the correct position for a 2.0 turdo.

#11 prallyx

prallyx

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 11:13 AM

Great, thanks for the info, I'll pick one tomorrow, Cheers

Edited by prallyx, 28 August 2016 - 11:14 AM.

#12 prallyx

prallyx

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:34 PM

Picked up an f23 box with the starter in the correct position today ,

Uprated clutch now needed, do I go for a [color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]z20let or z20leh[/color] clutch kit?

#13 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:45 PM

The old C20LET clutch combo is better than the newer Z20LET types. And cheaper too. :happy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users