Photo

Tyre Pressure Help Needed

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ratty5

Ratty5

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Motorcycles offroad & road bikes, shooting, meeting up for rallys, Yorkshire VX club memeber

Posted 26 August 2016 - 05:58 AM

I have just bought a VX220 Turbo and it is fitted with Yokohama NEOVA AD08 Front tyres are 205/45R16 Rear tyres are 225/45R17 My front pressure say 23 psi and 26 psi in rear, this sounds low can anyone help as to what they should be? Thanks

#2 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:05 AM

I stick 24F/26R in mine.

#3 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:10 AM

I have just bought a VX220 Turbo and it is fitted with Yokohama NEOVA AD08 Front tyres are 205/45R16 Rear tyres are 225/45R17 My front pressure say 23 psi and 26 psi in rear, this sounds low can anyone help as to what they should be? Thanks

Really not a million miles away...  I run 24/26 or 24/27 depending on which way the wind blows.

#4 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:35 AM

Tyre pressures are entirely subjective.  Lower pressures give more comfort, higher pressures less movement within the tyre in the corners.  Experiment and find what works for you.

#5 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,034 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:06 AM

Tyre pressures are entirely subjective.  Lower pressures give more comfort, higher pressures less movement within the tyre in the corners.  Experiment and find what works for you.

:yeahthat:

#6 909

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:23 AM

Factory recommended pressures are 26psi front and 27.5psi, cold, for original factory supplied tyres, I believe.

Edited by 909, 26 August 2016 - 08:29 AM.

#7 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:23 AM

:yeahthat:
:yeahthat: I've never been happy with the lower pressures. I run closer to 30psi front and rear.

#8 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:40 AM

If im going on long journeys etc ill take the signum lol... But when i did take the vx i would bang 28/30 in.

#9 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:51 AM

I run 23/26 but it's mostly whatever feels best. Have a play with them and see what prefer.

#10 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:04 PM

Sidewall strength, number of plys and profile depth all strongly affect tyre flex so use your noggin !

#11 Ratty5

Ratty5

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Motorcycles offroad & road bikes, shooting, meeting up for rallys, Yorkshire VX club memeber

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:05 PM

I stick 24F/26R in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Thanks 👍

Edited by Ratty5, 26 August 2016 - 08:05 PM.

#12 Paulus H

Paulus H

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Interests:I really appreciate my car. I have piled on 100,000 miles in 8 years of ownership. I still love every day I get in it

Posted 27 August 2016 - 05:12 PM

Generally speaking if the center of the tire wears before the outside you are over inflated. I have run the same size tires as you in the past and used 25 psi from and 24 psi rear in order to get more or less even wear accross the tire. On my car the center of the tire does wear a little before the outer part but that is likely to be down to the onset of wheelspin. If I were to inflate my tires to 26/30 my car would be wearing the center of the tire like mad.

Have you tried checking tire pressures first thing in the morning when it is cold and then again in the heat of the day. There is a massive difference. Also the side of the car that is in direct sunlight will gain a couple of psi.

I can see why we CHECK our tire pressure when they are cold. But the pressure is going to effected by how the car is driven and ambient conditions unless your tires are filled with one of the gases that has less expansion than regular air.

Paul

#13 909

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:27 PM

If your car is a road car, then factory recommended pressures (cold/ambient) are correct.  After all, the engineers have spent quite some time and money on testing. 

This all changes on a race or track car, where pressures are set according to a number of differing criteria, and determined at the tyre operating temperature.  (hot)

#14 Mani

Mani

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:52 PM

I run 25 front and 28 rear. I drive on the road. Good even wear all around. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#15 turbo boy

turbo boy

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Interests:Cars, fitness, fishing, sports

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:42 AM

I have always stuck to 24 f and 26r. I think this is the correct inflation for quick Summer road use but like others have said it is down to personal preference and dependant on suspension and tyre set ups. I'm on original alloys bit with conti 3 tyres incidentally 👍

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users