• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:09 PM

Very very last minute.com but went to Mallory on Sunday to take part in the Track Attack race series.

http://www.trackatta...season-list.php

As I was an invitation car they put me in the Deutsche class. This meant I had 15 minutes qualifying with 30 cars from 3 different series. A 15 minute race with the 17 Deutsche and Nippon challenge cars then a 20 minute race with all 3 series. The other series is the Tricolore one so full of Clios and a couple of others.

Pretty sure I was one of the lowest powered car out there but in the usual .org fashion I stiffened up the suspension and cracked on.

Never been anywhere near Mallory so watched a video of an Elise doing 2 laps and I was good to go 😂

Very small track to have 30 cars on so it was a little busy but headed out and managed to put the car 11th with a laptime of 56.297

In the first race without the French cars that put me 6th on the grid with the pole guy in a 760kg Nova with 240 bhp. It was a decent race (I don't remember much of it after the second race, coming to that 😂)

And managed to finish 5th.

Did my fastest lap of the day of 54.984

The second race I was back starting in 11th, 1 word, carnage!

Not a bad start but got shuffled back a few places by not being too agressive (wanted to get round turn 1 in one piece) and a few cars were out of place from a poor quali.

I got involved with about 5 clios, it's made me realise I need a rear camera too as they were all around me lap after lap. They were playing bumper cars for the whole race, especially into the hairpin. Bumpers and mirrors flying everywhere, somehow I avoided touching a single thing!!

Someone's bumper was left on the start finish straight so the SC came out. I made the novice error of focusing on my race and missed the marshals post, guessing the guy infront did too as I was stuck to his bumper flat out. He hit the brakes and I darted left to go round and there was the yellow and SC board staring at me. Waved an apology to the marshal and let the guy back past.

At the green flag it was all go again. An MX5 went straight on at the end of the main straight into the tyres but it was out the way and then my mate in the Navy's 206 spat his coolant all the way from the final turn to part way round turn 1 (he realised when he went straight on there himself) I entered the final corner at about 80mph completely sideways (why does it never look as much on the camera!) And then the clio I was following was all over the place at turn 1. As I wasnt actually racing to win anything the lead 2 cars came through then and I backed off to about 80% as there was less than 2 laps and coolant all over!

Started 11th, finished 11th. If the coolant hadn't come out I think I'd have got another place, it seemed the clios tyres were going off as I was catching them easily.

Highlight (apart from having no damage) was going round the outside of 2 cars around turn 1 at 90+

Also got interviewed by classic car magazine so I think they are doing a small feature.

Results from the races here

http://www.tsl-timing.com/event/163832

I have the videos from quali and both races but uploading race 2 first so that will be available in about 30 mins.

#2 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:31 PM

Second race

https://youtu.be/XnybexGdrYM

#3 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:51 PM

Exciting stuff and great write up, thanks for sharing.....now I want to come out to play 😊 lol DG

#4 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:09 PM

The white car was holding you up, you had him in the corners but he out dragged you on the straight. Once his tyres went off at 16.30 and you fed him the back of the red car and got past your lap times were constant and better. 

#5 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:17 PM

Same with that black clio with the blue highlights, he was quick when he went past originally but his tyres went off I closed easily, the coolant spilt then so I cooled it a little with 1 lap to go.

Spoke to the white car after and he said it was standard so it only had 155whp. Seemed slightly surprised when I said I was 118.

#6 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:36 PM

that novice's lines where a bit over the place.

its quite suprising how fast those clios are to be honest.

ooh and did you see those superior hondas  ;) :lol: :tt:

#7 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

No it's not a Lamborghini!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:40 PM

Great stuff Mark

#8 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:41 PM

He was just defending very hard, kept shutting the gaps down that I found.

#9 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:45 PM

Yeah true that makes sense Man I'm well jealous. I need a race car

#10 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:01 PM

Well done, you and me too Joe

#11 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:02 PM

Forgot to say, now I've adjusted the front and rear toe it's like a different car. So much confidence in the corners. At turn 1 I was in 4th, braked a little and then was back at full throttle by mid corner. Same with the esses. Then for the corner after the harpin I was pinned in third and then up to 4th halfway round and that was flat striaght away all the way to turn 1.

#12 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:03 PM

Well done, you and me too Joe

Cheers!

Well I want a pilots licence so ill swap you haha! One of my mates has just moved to BA as another's just started at Ryan Air. Need to join them I think!

#13 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:12 PM

Looks like your having great fun and the car looks really stable in the corners.

Watching the clios/civic crashing each other I'd be nervous of getting involved but you did a great job getting stuck in and keeping it clean. 

Not sure i need to ask but is racing more fun than track days?

#14 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:18 PM

Looks like your having great fun and the car looks really stable in the corners.

Watching the clios/civic crashing each other I'd be nervous of getting involved but you did a great job getting stuck in and keeping it clean. 

Not sure i need to ask but is racing more fun than track days?

It's so much better now the GEO is sorted. Looking forward to getting back to tracks I've done before and smashing my laptimes.

The problem with only having the front camera is the fact you can't the cars buzzing and crashing round my rear end! Can't believe they didn't touch me, guessing it was a little respect in that I wasn't part of their tricolore trophy.

On a whole different level, especially if you can do it with friends as it adds the paddock enjoyment. I can imagine the end of the race is how crack addicts feel.

#15 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:35 PM

Looks very stable there. Any detail what you changed on the geo? :happy:

#16 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:47 PM

Just the fact the wheels were point in various directions.

Fronts were 3mm toe in, now toeing out.

Rears were L 2.5mm toe in, R 7mm toe in.

I set it using some parcel string and a normal tape measure though so need to do it again with fishing line and an engineers ruler to be more accurate.

What I actually set it too was what BOT recommended. Not sure if their normal settings are public knowledge or not.

#17 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:01 PM

Awesome stuff cars looking soo much better. Looks like great fun :)

#18 glitch

glitch

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:41 AM

Wow with those rear toe settings the rear end must have behaved awful. Thanks for sharing always a good read.

#19 MartinS

MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:37 AM

Great stuff Mark, exciting stuff and how skinny is Mallory!

Martin S

Edited by MartinS, 27 September 2016 - 06:39 AM.

#20 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:35 AM

Phewpf, that start looked hectic and close, I hope you have a large wallet for spare parts over the coming year! Looks great fun though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users