Newly Completed Supercharged Coupe

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 jimn

jimn

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:47 PM

Just finished (ish) converting my red supercharged n/a into a coupe and as im struggling to get out in it this weekend thought i would pst some pics for all to see.

Fitting the roof and back has been one of the most labour intensive and thought provoking exercises i have done on any car i have had. I really wanted to hinge the back and tried so hard to incorporate this into my original idea for fixing it but in the end the back didnt fit that well and i had to clamp it down to get the shape to meet the lines of the car (even then its not perfect)!

I got a deal on the roof and the back but didnt realise it was only single skin until it was to late so i persevered and got it to fit without bonding and it the car and i can remove and refit it at will with an 8mm spanner and a 5mm allen key.

If anyone else is sat staring at their coupe kit wondering how the f**k you get it to stick to the car im happy to give any info i have. Although it might be best to let me put some high speed miles on it as there is still time for the roof to fly off...!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:57 PM

Awesome effort, congrats.

#3 D-DAWG83

D-DAWG83

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motorsport, music and films

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:32 PM

Great effort, well done for persevering. Really like the rear spoiler, where is that from?

#4 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:09 AM

Looks like you've done a great job thumbsup

#5 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 15 October 2016 - 08:42 AM

Looks really good Jim - excellent work. Imnotworthy

#6 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:47 AM

Selling up now? :P

#7 jimn

jimn

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 12:46 PM

Thanks for the encouraging comments. The wing is just an eBay one. The mounts and the blade are nothing like so I had to get creative when fitting it but I'm reasonably happy. I had a little run in it yesterday and the cab gets alot warmer now and the engine seems to heat up quicker. I might have to look into fitting a fan on the underside of the back to aid airflow when pottering around in traffic but I will worry about that in the summer. For now I just need to make a roof lining and address the window seal on the drivers side. Other than that I'm sure it's more water tight than the old hard too was. I don't think I'm selling up just yet but I've got a red hardtop that is now surplus to requirements.

#8 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:17 PM

Looks just like mine ! Lol

Looks yum!

Posted Image

Edited by chris_uk, 15 October 2016 - 07:19 PM.

#9 Baron Von Scubadaddy

Baron Von Scubadaddy

STAGE 3.333333333333333333333333333333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,641 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Cars,..... ! spending time asking questions about why my car won't work

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:34 PM

Beautiful.

#10 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 04:24 PM

Loving that, and the colour, always had a thing for red cars - got a red Evora but could only find a silver (for phucks sake!) VX220 when I was looking. Still, can always look at a colour change. Noted your sill extensions / barge boards - are they your own design or retail?

#11 Jvcoop1

Jvcoop1

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 12:00 PM

Looks fantastic (both of them). The wing seems to follow the profile of the clam really well for an ebay purchase! Good job. Chris_uk, you got my car in the back of that image as well!

#12 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 02:01 PM

Looks fantastic (both of them). The wing seems to follow the profile of the clam really well for an ebay purchase! Good job. Chris_uk, you got my car in the back of that image as well!

which one?

#13 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 30 October 2016 - 04:33 PM

Nice work.  thumbsup

#14 Jvcoop1

Jvcoop1

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 06:07 PM

which one?
The blue NA that's up high!.. Got it from Jon earlier this year.

#15 jimn

jimn

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 08:17 PM

Loving that, and the colour, always had a thing for red cars - got a red Evora but could only find a silver (for phucks sake!) VX220 when I was looking. Still, can always look at a colour change. Noted your sill extensions / barge boards - are they your own design or retail?

I just made those and the splitter out of aluminium and plastic sandwich sign board. Its light and strong enough for what i needed. I think its called dibond..

#16 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 08 November 2016 - 11:58 AM

looks good!

#17 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:10 PM

with a wing on the back, I find access to the boot a pain, but it must be annoying to have the coupe lid as well.

#18 fred666

fred666

All Show, All Go

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:27 PM

Love that mate. Still looks fairly OEM!

#19 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:23 PM

with a wing on the back, I find access to the boot a pain, but it must be annoying to have the coupe lid as well.

Its easy enough, just need to find somewhere to put it so you dont stand on it lol.

#20 jimn

jimn

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:51 AM

It isnt a piece of p*ss but as chris says it is possible. I do still want to make some sort of hinge or stay to hold it up without having to remove it from the car. I dont think it will be seeing much road work over the winter so i will let you know how i get on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users