12 replies to this topic

#1 BogBrush

BogBrush

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 03:50 PM

Hi all,

Well today I finally decided that I should attempt to remove the pre cat.
Hands are all cut up and I'm absolutely filthy but the bugger is out :)

There are a couple of annoying fiddly bolts, but most of it was straight forward.
Getting the actual pre cat out was fun... not!
At that point i though "oh my god what am I doing!" but it was too late to stop now.
After about 45minutes hammering, the bugger came out.

Assembled back together with no real problems.

Started the car and it seems to burble a bit deeper now. Lots of smoke rose from the back and I thought WTF! Then I remembered I soaked everything with WD40.

btw here's the tools that you'll need...

Sockets
8mm
10mm
13mm

Spanners I'd definitely recommend those flat wrench type. You might not cut your hands so badly as mine ;)
13mm
10mm

1 set of wheel ramps or two goods jacks.
1 philips head screwdriver
1 SHARP chisel
1 heavy duty hammer (I used a mallet)
1 workmate or vice
1 drill with a metal head drill
1 grinder to clean the inside of the pre cat (I used a hobby mini grinder for this)
1 good torch!
lots of WD40!!!

and..

lots of patience and time ;)

I think thats all the tools you need.

I haven't had a chance to take her for a spin yet but once I do i'll let you all know how she's performing.
off to the shower now..

Colin

btw I'm happy to supervise anyone elses pre cat removal as long as I don't have to get my hands dirty again :D

Edited by BogBrush, 10 May 2003 - 04:23 PM.

#2 TheRockstar

TheRockstar

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 05:08 PM

Sounds good Colin. How long'd it tak alltogether (including dismantling and putting back to gether...) Where'd you live? (may have to borrow your ramps when the time comes...) Edit: just checked your profile.... Essex is a bit of a jaunt from Brum.... guess I'll be doing it on my own when the time comes ;) Nick

Edited by TheRockstar, 10 May 2003 - 05:10 PM.

#3 BogBrush

BogBrush

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 06:07 PM

just got back from a blast! Non technical expalanation - F*cking awesome! Technical explanation - The car appears to rev more freely with throttle response and acceleration being more noticable! Wohooo! Car is a bit loud now. I don't see me using it as everyday transport now. Oh well that's why I bought a £350 volvo for :) I did have one worrying moment though. The car seemed to misfire for a short while. I'm hoping that this was just the ECU becoming accustomed to the increased airflow (fingers crossed!). It hasn't happened again but i'll keep my eye on it. When the car is in 2nd and 3rd the car justs wants to go and go now. There used to be some hesitation when changing gears and putting your foot down. That's gone now. Nick, i'd say it took me about 3 - 4 hours to do the whole thing. I'm doing brands on tuesday so Ill definitely will be seing how my car compares to those elises ;) Colin

#4 griffo

griffo

• Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 02:43 PM

Hi all,

Well today I finally decided that I should attempt to remove the pre cat.
Hands are all cut up and I'm absolutely filthy but the bugger is out :)

There are a couple of annoying fiddly bolts, but most of it was straight forward.
Getting the actual pre cat out was fun... not!
At that point i though "oh my god what am I doing!" but it was too late to stop now.
After about 45minutes hammering, the bugger came out.

Assembled back together with no real problems.

Started the car and it seems to burble a bit deeper now. Lots of smoke rose from the back and I thought WTF! Then I remembered I soaked everything with WD40.

btw here's the tools that you'll need...

Sockets
8mm
10mm
13mm

Spanners I'd definitely recommend those flat wrench type. You might not cut your hands so badly as mine ;)
13mm
10mm

1 set of wheel ramps or two goods jacks.
1 philips head screwdriver
1 SHARP chisel
1 heavy duty hammer (I used a mallet)
1 workmate or vice
1 drill with a metal head drill
1 grinder to clean the inside of the pre cat (I used a hobby mini grinder for this)
1 good torch!
lots of WD40!!!

and..

lots of patience and time ;)

I think thats all the tools you need.

I haven't had a chance to take her for a spin yet but once I do i'll let you all know how she's performing.
off to the shower now..

Colin

btw I'm happy to supervise anyone elses pre cat removal as long as I don't have to get my hands dirty again :D

i think thats all the tools you need

Well done guys -- makes a hell of a difference. BUT its very important to use a powerful vacuum cleaner to suck all the bits and dust out of the system after removing the pre-cat otherwise they will just clog up the main cat.
cuddles
Griffo

#5 BogBrush

BogBrush

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 08:46 PM

Oh yeah I forgot to add the vacuum cleaner. Car seems to have settled down now. I just love the way the car really surges after 4k rpms :) Can't wait for brands hatch!

#6 BogBrush

BogBrush

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 09:09 AM

I almost forgot. You need a 23mm spanner to remove the sensors from the cat.

#7 Guest_M17D VX (Guest)

Guest_M17D VX (Guest)

Posted 12 May 2003 - 11:22 AM

Whilst I had my car up on my mates ramp on Sunday (I was just painting up all the callipers and discs) I too decided to use the workshop tools and remove the pre-cat! 1 Hour Flat. Easy. Drop the belly pan off. Undo 6 bolts holding the cat pipe in. Get in in a vice. Beat the crap out of it with a sharp chisel and a cone cutter. Clean up. Hoover. Slap some exhaust paste on the flanges. Replace and bolt back in. (Oh yeah remove the sensors so as not to damage them!) This really is an easy mod. Inital impressions were that there was no difference! Seemed difficult to tell. However on my 40 mile journey to work this morning it all came in to play. The engine revs mush better. There is a noticable difference in power and now a better bark form my Regal pipes! I am still going down the cat replacement pipe route however this is a quick and easy mod to get the engine breathing better. I did have a moment this morning however where the engine was reverberating at idle between 700 and 1000 rpm. Very wierd! And there was a horrible bark at 5500rpm when moving. I pulled over and the engine just cut out on me! Very strange. Re-started and all seems fine. Not sure if this was an airflow problem or what. But when re-started it was all fine and I scooted round the M25 with a very loud, quick and happy car! I hope this is the end of it and put it down to the ECU just settling down to the new airflow! Keep you posted!

Edited by M17D VX, 12 May 2003 - 11:23 AM.

#8 rubber

rubber

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 08:49 PM

Sod it, have read all about how easy/hard it is to do, so I've told the mechanic from work he's doing mine on Sat. I will be keeping a watchful eye on him. From what I can make out the vacuuming out is probably the most important factor, and one that could be over looked in the excitment to put it back together again. So those of you who have done it sit by your computers Sat incase I have probs. Like your going to :lol: :lol: Anyway hope it works or I won't be making the chase meet Sun. Ian

#9 SSH1

SSH1

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 04:48 PM

Ian Let me know how it goes, as I am interested in getting this done, but don't want to get my hands dirty!! (I take it since I saw you in Maidstone you are from this neck of the woods?) Regards Chris

#10 rubber

rubber

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 10:29 PM

Hi Chris, yes I'm from minster isle of sheppey (the place that doesn't get broadband). If everything goes ok, and not to much of a problem, I'm sure I can get the mechanic to do yours for you. Ian

#11 Jez

Jez

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Interests:Bikes,TT,Isle Of Man,VX's, investigations to where my money goes each month,

Posted 14 May 2003 - 09:10 AM

:D Trying to find someone capable of doing this to my lightning soon but can people who have has this done confirm that they are NOT having cut out problems etc because I have read that several people have had possible problems but this could be due to the ECU getting used to the mod. Many Thanks Jez :rolleyes:

#12 rubber

rubber

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 12:04 PM

Chris (net team1), only just got in from work so am not going to attempt it today, in case I run into difficulties. Will try in the week or next weekend. Ian

#13 SSH1

SSH1

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 08:58 AM

Hi Ian Thanks, let me know how you get on with the pre-cat removal. Regards Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users