• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Vxt Dave

Vxt Dave

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:37 PM

Hi guys.

So I have a loud knocking coming from the n/s/f that I'm sure your all aware can become very irritating in a car with no sound insulation.

I self diagnosed to be the anti roll bar as when I go over cats eyes with the off side the near side knocks. The car has an aftermarket 1"? ARB.

After taking her along to my local garage they say the knocking is coming from the mountings attached to the chassis and there is no visual rubber or bushing on these mountings?

My question is.. Is this normal to have metal to metal? And also where can I buy new ones?

Thanks for reading guy and any help would be seriously appreciated.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

#2 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:36 AM

should be like this:

https://www.elisepar...-anti-roll-bar/

#3 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:42 AM

Difficult to see what's happening there.  Joe's linked pictures show the intended arrangement and I can't see the aluminium bracket on yours?

The hard plastic 'bush' has a reputation for creaking if not lubricated (mine were dreadful).  I think I'd first check whether the bar is loose in those mounts (the second picture appears to show a gap?).  If it is, then new mounts.  If it's rigidly mounted, strip and lubricate.

#4 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:42 AM

That looks like a cornering force arb. In which case that's the problem. (Just need to replace the mounts)

#5 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:32 AM

If you need to lubricate, use copper grease! Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

#6 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:56 AM

CF supply a replacement all plastic mount James?  Which I assume then wears?

For ID purposes, CF are orange (similar to the pic), EP are red?

#7 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:56 AM

That's indeed a Cornering Force ARB with some special mounting blocks.

Did you check if the mount bolts are not loose?

#8 Johnturner

Johnturner

• PipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:03 PM

If that is a Cornering Force ARB ckeck the drop links. I got fed up replacing the rose joints on the near side and replaced the drop link with OEM.

#9 kipper

kipper

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • Interests:Things that rotate.
    Smoking various types
    of fish.

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:05 PM

That's indeed a Cornering Force ARB with some special mounting blocks.

Did you check if the mount bolts are not loose?

Fitted from new there was always a good degree of freedom in movement in the CF ARB. I've got a rattle over choppy road surfaces which I have put down to pad/disk rattle, as it goes immediately a small amount of breaking force is applied.  

#10 D-DAWG83

D-DAWG83

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motorsport, music and films

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:15 AM

That's indeed a Cornering Force ARB with some special mounting blocks. Did you check if the mount bolts are not loose?

Fitted from new there was always a good degree of freedom in movement in the CF ARB. I've got a rattle over choppy road surfaces which I have put down to pad/disk rattle, as it goes immediately a small amount of breaking force is applied.  
Yep, iv got the same issue, i run CL5+ pads.

#11 kipper

kipper

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
    Smoking various types
    of fish.

Posted 10 December 2016 - 06:49 PM

That's indeed a Cornering Force ARB with some special mounting blocks. Did you check if the mount bolts are not loose?

Yep, iv got the same issue, i run CL5+ pads.
That's the pads I run as well...I think it is well known that they rattle...annoying to say the least!

#12 Vxt Dave

Vxt Dave

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:45 PM

Thanks for all your replies and ideas guys. Once cornering force was mentioned, I immediately remembered seeing some stuff in my paperwork from them and right enough, buttons and ARB kit was indeed purchased In 2011 with dunno graphs showing all the different corner weights etc under different loads and dampening settings. Quite cool actually! I noticed on the fitting instructions it comes with black derlin mountings. As little miles the car has done it doesn't surprise me that being high compound plastic they may have deteriorated or worn. I'll maybe check for my self first whether they may just be loose. If not I'll contact the fellas at cornering force to see about replacing. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

#13 kipper

kipper

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
    Smoking various types
    of fish.

Posted 11 December 2016 - 02:53 PM

Thanks for all your replies and ideas guys. Once cornering force was mentioned, I immediately remembered seeing some stuff in my paperwork from them and right enough, buttons and ARB kit was indeed purchased In 2011 with dunno graphs showing all the different corner weights etc under different loads and dampening settings. Quite cool actually! I noticed on the fitting instructions it comes with black derlin mountings. As little miles the car has done it doesn't surprise me that being high compound plastic they may have deteriorated or worn. I'll maybe check for my self first whether they may just be loose. If not I'll contact the fellas at cornering force to see about replacing. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Speak to Simon at CF, very helpful. I've always had first class service from them.

#14 Vxt Dave

Vxt Dave

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:12 PM

Yeh think I'll do that, a phone call tomorrow maybe. But under closer inspection today I actually think it may be worn powder coating on the ARB that is either the issue or part off it. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

#15 Vxt Dave

Vxt Dave

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:15 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Here are some better pics showing the gap I took today with the nearside jacked up.

#16 Vxt Dave

Vxt Dave

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:18 PM

Posted Image

And here is a pic of the bottom once the offside is alone jacked up forcing the bar to the top.

Looks like the powder coating has worn away, maybe the mounts are fine after all?

#17 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:59 PM

Replacement mounts from the look of the pics. Possible to tighten the mounts up at all? Suspect wear already taken hold mind As other have said CF service has been really good so give them a call 😉 DG

#18 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:20 PM

So did you check if the 2 mounting block bolts are torqued up? Looks like a significant gap between both mounting halves...

#19 Vxt Dave

Vxt Dave

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 09:01 PM

I tried to check the bolts with the crap tools I had at hand but with no luck. I'll hopefully get some better tools tomorrow and have another check, the fitting sheet in my paperwork says to torque to 8nm which I'm guessing should be around hand tight. Failing that maybe stripping the ARB and re powder coating may be the answer. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

#20 Vxt Dave

Vxt Dave

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 09:02 PM

Again thanks for all the replies guys I'll hopefully get through to Simon tomorrow lunchtime. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users