• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 05:46 PM

My Vectra's finally reaching the point where it's costing more than it makes sense to keep (running total this year is pushing £3k), so i'm looking at alternatives. I've narrowed it down to the following;

needs a DSG (or other TLA)

needs to be an estate

commute is only 6 miles each way, so petrol is an option if not the preference.

xenons/LEDs

Right now i'm looking at the Skoda Octavia vRS vs. the Golf R. Any other options? Concern with the Golf R is that it'll replace the VX, while the concern with the Skoda is it'll have a naff interior and the ride seems compromised vs. other VAG group cars based on the Golf. 

#2 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:09 PM

I really like the vrs interior! Am a little biased tho.. Graeme will be along to talk about the dsg box! I went manual in the end Graeme put me off it :lol:

#3 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:21 PM

i think he's just moved, might be busy for a few days. i've heard about the cost of a replacement DSG ECU, however considering i've spent £650 on a new cim unit for the vectra, it's not far off. Shame they don't have the 7 speed DSG though.

I'm not sold on the stitching, but need to climb around one in person

Edited by fezzasus, 18 December 2016 - 06:23 PM.

#4 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:31 PM

Golf r estate?

#5 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:37 PM

New or second hand? Golf R is due to be replaced, so either save money on old (current) one or wait til March/April for new one. Passat too big?

#6 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:38 PM

I've had a DSG Passat for 50k no issues, now with a Q3 S-Tronic (Audi's name for DSG) for 20k of stop start around town and again, no issues (touch wood)

#7 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:43 PM

Golf r estate?

Yup, one of these

Posted Image

#8 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:44 PM

I went for red stitching, found the silver didn't look nice at all to be honest.. looked dirty?! I get mine in a few weeks if you wanna take it out see what ya think

Edited by The Batman, 18 December 2016 - 06:49 PM.

#9 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:44 PM

New or second hand? Golf R is due to be replaced, so either save money on old (current) one or wait til March/April for new one. Passat too big?

I'll take anything made in the last couple of years. If i go for the Skoda i'll probably go new as they tend to have 0 % finance.

Planning to buy in 1Q 2017.

I don't need the rear seat space that comes with the Passat. Occasionally the ability to haul large loads is useful and the Octavia appears to be comparable to luggage capacity of the Vectra so won't need anything bigger.

Edited by fezzasus, 18 December 2016 - 06:47 PM.

#10 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:34 PM

you would be quite disappointed with the load area in the Golf, my old Vectra C hatchback could carry more than my Golf estate can. The latest Golfs are really dull and boring cars, cannot wait to get rid of the thing :ffs:

#11 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,034 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:02 AM

Rear leg room in the current Octavia is better than the Passat, the biggest difference you'll notice is the width, as the Passat is considerably wider... which if you have kids (or plan to) is useful for cars seats. If the Vectra is older than 07 (Vectra C) then you may find the Octavia too narrow, however the Vectra B was much more narrow and the Octavia feels pretty much bang-on identical in size. I wouldn't about interior quality on the current Octavia, the only bugbear is the crap rear axle (non independent) on anything but top Octavia models. Have a read up as to why the have done this... as my 2008 with independent rear suspension does suffer from the VAG sawtoothing of the rear tyres. And my old mans 2013 Passat is even worse. Can supposedly be fixed/improved with a tinker of Geo, if needed.

#12 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,034 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:04 AM

And I really don't like the vRS leather seats. I like every other bit of the vRS, just not the seats. The L&K is also a nice place to sit.

#13 Willovrs

Willovrs

• Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:19 AM

I've owned my Octavia for over a year now, awesome car. I've got a manual diesel however, little remap on it, good for 230bhp + £30 road tax + 400miles for £45 diesel! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:30 AM

SEAT Leon Cupra ST?

#15 Stevie Dubyah

Stevie Dubyah

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • Interests:Invasive Operations

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:54 AM

BMW 3 Series Estate.

It's not a DSG, but the 8 speed auto feels every bit as quick on the paddles to me. No reliability concerns, either (as far as I know).

#16 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 11:21 AM

Yeah the auto box in the 140i is every bit as quick if not quicker than the dsg in the a6. I'd probably go with the golf though.

#17 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 19 December 2016 - 11:25 AM

volvo v60 hybrid auto, or bigger xc90 t8

probably passat gte

#18 dstarz7

dstarz7

• Pip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Plastic cars

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:16 PM

One of our company vehicles is a '16 plate Octavia VRS estate, manual box. I think it's mega, driven it several times from base (Norwich) to Holland and back with no issues and super comfortable &a quick enough. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 Vaux Pop

Vaux Pop

• PipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:57 PM

Outside the brief, but similar in price and size to a new Octavia vRS estate, and fairly local, you could consider a [font="calibri, sans-serif;"]C63 AMG estate[/font]

#20 jon_r

jon_r

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:26 PM

I have an Octavia estate. It's a 'Black Edition' which was a special edition (VRS looks). It's got the 150bhp 2.0tdi engine and the 6 speed DSG box. I've had the car for a little over 2 years now and save for the box being a little lazy in normal mode (sports mode is ridiculous for daily driving) I really like the car. With a roofbox, I can fit both kids, pushchairs, associated child gear, labrador, associated dog stuff and a wife in without any issues. I spend most of my time sat in traffic and it still gets high 50's to the gallon. Add in £30 a year tax, 3 years free servicing and nothing thats gone wrong with it and I can't complain at all.

I'm looking to change it for a Kodiaq within the next 12 months as those things are going to be real value for money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users