Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:51 PM

New one is coming out soon

#24 r2mlb

r2mlb

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:47 PM

I'm considering the Cupra ST for my next car. Looks lovely inside and out, performance is also staggering. Apparently new one is minor facelift and a few additions... more power, electronic handbrake etc. Its a lot of car for the money IMO

#25 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:21 PM

So many answers to add to this thread... will input tomorrow. (Yes I have just moved). And Joe, glad to hear you took the plunge Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#26 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:33 PM

Not sure why, but Multi-quote isn't working for me today, so bear with me...

I really like the vrs interior! Am a little biased tho.. Graeme will be along to talk about the dsg box! I went manual in the end Graeme put me off it :lol:

Not as biased as me... but then you're not paid to be.

vRS interior is really strong. Seats are excellent and driving position good (I have a Superb and you sit too high, it's fine in the Octavia vRS).

As I said to Joe, the manual suits the vRS much better IMO, however if you must have an auto/dual clutch, then the DSG is a decent unit.

#27 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:36 PM

you would be quite disappointed with the load area in the Golf, my old Vectra C hatchback could carry more than my Golf estate can. The latest Golfs are really dull and boring cars, cannot wait to get rid of the thing :ffs:

You won't be disappointed with the load area in the Octavia - 610 litres available with all seats in use, and 1,740 litres rear seats folded down.

#28 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:41 PM

Rear leg room in the current Octavia is better than the Passat, the biggest difference you'll notice is the width, as the Passat is considerably wider... which if you have kids (or plan to) is useful for cars seats. If the Vectra is older than 07 (Vectra C) then you may find the Octavia too narrow, however the Vectra B was much more narrow and the Octavia feels pretty much bang-on identical in size. I wouldn't about interior quality on the current Octavia, the only bugbear is the crap rear axle (non independent) on anything but top Octavia models. Have a read up as to why the have done this... as my 2008 with independent rear suspension does suffer from the VAG sawtoothing of the rear tyres. And my old mans 2013 Passat is even worse. Can supposedly be fixed/improved with a tinker of Geo, if needed.

Rear (knee) legroom on Octavia estate is 73mm. It's generous and feels similar to old Superb in that respect.

Octavia is 1,814mm wide (without mirrors) which translates to 1,449mm inside as rear elbow width

Interior quality of the current Octavia, until the arrival of the new Kodiaq, probably represented the biggest leap for the brand in terms of quality.

All vRS models (and anything with >150PS) has multi-link rear suspension

#29 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:42 PM

And I really don't like the vRS leather seats. I like every other bit of the vRS, just not the seats. The L&K is also a nice place to sit.

New car, which I'll talk about in a second comes with the option of Alcantara seats

#30 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:43 PM

New one is coming out soon

Details of new Octavia released today, and some images

#31 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:50 PM

I have an Octavia estate. It's a 'Black Edition' which was a special edition (VRS looks). It's got the 150bhp 2.0tdi engine and the 6 speed DSG box. I've had the car for a little over 2 years now and save for the box being a little lazy in normal mode (sports mode is ridiculous for daily driving) I really like the car. With a roofbox, I can fit both kids, pushchairs, associated child gear, labrador, associated dog stuff and a wife in without any issues. I spend most of my time sat in traffic and it still gets high 50's to the gallon. Add in £30 a year tax, 3 years free servicing and nothing thats gone wrong with it and I can't complain at all.

I'm looking to change it for a Kodiaq within the next 12 months as those things are going to be real value for money.

Best be quick.

We have had 28,000 hand raisers for this model, months before actual launch. Supply limitations means we'll not likely have enough to satisfy orders, and next year expect to have less than 10,000 available for sale (not a full year)

#32 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:55 PM

Full details, and images, of the new model can be found here; (for some reason the forum isn't allowing me to paste images or the words from the release)

www.skodamedia.com

Essentially, more power for the petrol (230PS versus old 220PS), diesel remains same, improved interior with glass capacitive touchscreens, Alcantara seat option, new connectivity options, ambient lighting, suspension dropped by 15mm and track widened by 30mm, new front and rear design.

Tom, if you wait until late Q1 or early Q2 you will get the new model. There'll be some more news early next year regarding the Octavia vRS as well, which I would urge you to hold out for if you liked the idea of the diff-equipped vRS 230 we've just stopped selling...

#33 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:57 PM

Thanks G, and thanks everyone else.

Had a nosy around a few today in MK before going to the airport. I agree that they are more narrow than the Vectra I'm coming from, ultimately the measurement that's critical (sadly) if they can accommodate a sheet of plasterboard.

I found the red stitching less offensive in person than in photos, but the used one i saw hadn't worn well in use, becoming quite polished and stretching in strange ways around the red highlight in the headrest. I'm not sold on the cardboard fibre effect gear surround or door highlights either. 

The current question is whether the goodies that come with the 230 vRS are worth the more limited selection of cars.

#34 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:59 PM

Full details, and images, of the new model can be found here; (for some reason the forum isn't allowing me to paste images or the words from the release)

www.skodamedia.com

Essentially, more power for the petrol (230PS versus old 220PS), diesel remains same, improved interior with glass capacitive touchscreens, Alcantara seat option, new connectivity options, ambient lighting, suspension dropped by 15mm and track widened by 30mm, new front and rear design.

Tom, if you wait until late Q1 or early Q2 you will get the new model. There'll be some more news early next year regarding the Octavia vRS as well, which I would urge you to hold out for if you liked the idea of the diff-equipped vRS 230 we've just stopped selling...

Thanks, from what i've read, the facelift vRS will basically be a 230 edition, with the diff and higher power. I do like the idea of Alcantara seats, as the current seat offering is still something i'm not entirely happy with.

#35 jon_r

jon_r

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:21 PM

I have an Octavia estate. It's a 'Black Edition' which was a special edition (VRS looks). It's got the 150bhp 2.0tdi engine and the 6 speed DSG box. I've had the car for a little over 2 years now and save for the box being a little lazy in normal mode (sports mode is ridiculous for daily driving) I really like the car. With a roofbox, I can fit both kids, pushchairs, associated child gear, labrador, associated dog stuff and a wife in without any issues. I spend most of my time sat in traffic and it still gets high 50's to the gallon. Add in £30 a year tax, 3 years free servicing and nothing thats gone wrong with it and I can't complain at all.

I'm looking to change it for a Kodiaq within the next 12 months as those things are going to be real value for money.

Best be quick.

We have had 28,000 hand raisers for this model, months before actual launch. Supply limitations means we'll not likely have enough to satisfy orders, and next year expect to have less than 10,000 available for sale (not a full year)

On it already, fortunate that my best mate works for Skoda :)

That said, the Octavia facelift looks horrendous, I hope this isn't the design direction that the brand wants to take.  

#36 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:43 PM

Bump.

After much pontificating (more than 8 months of it, from the look of it). I had convinced myself and those around me that the Golf R was the way to go. The interior sold me and there wasn't enough of a price difference between that and the Leon or the Octavia to convince me they offered a better deal.

What I couldn't convince myself on, however, was the price. £26 k for a used Golf! I started tracking prices in the hope i'd see them drop when the facelift came out. No such luck.

So I took a step back and looked at what was important. My total of a 12 mile commute mean I wasn't forced to consider economy. I wanted comfort, and I wanted enough power to bring some joy to what was otherwise a car destined for a pretty dull existence.

I also needed an auto/DSG. Wife is American and already complains enough about our roads without adding the need to learn how to drive a manual.

Enter....

The CLS 500. 1/5 th the price of a golf R, much more torque, much more comfort. Much lower MPG.

Posted Image

#37 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:46 PM

Ooo I like that

#38 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:01 PM

Ooo I like that

Thanks Joe. Fingers crossed I won't regret the air suspension (quick check says it's £500 a corner to replace)

#39 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:44 PM

That's fantastic, who cares about boot space when it looks that cool. I tested the Golf R to replace my wretched M135i auto. I wanted a manual and the pace was bananas and imagine the DSG even more relentless, but I then tested the GTI and found it a lot sweeter to drive even with the reduced power. And much cheaper for a newer car. There's something artificial about the VW 4wd for me, so I think you've made a wise choice.

Edited by pete-r, 23 July 2017 - 09:45 PM.

#40 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:56 PM

You might be right there Pete; it is a little numb. Can't say I get a lot of satisfaction from giving the R loads of stick in the lanes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users