• 10,743 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:59 PM

:lol: Great news that it's fixed. :clap:

#103 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:21 PM

So if you'd listened to any of my posts. Namely the one an hour after you first asked the question, we wouldn't be here.

You can lead a horse to water...

Quite a large % of this forum ask for help and then don't follow sensible suggestions (or even say thank you).  

#104 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:17 PM

Is there a Earth wire on your ecu ??

yes there was, the brown wire leads to a relay/fuse box that is connected to the charge cooling pump, that block also has a ground so I am now assuming that it is the 12v live for the cc pump  

#105 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:31 PM

The flimsy pressed steel battery clamps used on the VX (and many other cars) also have a tendency to stretch out, so even if they seem tight as the bolt can't be done up further, the post may well still be loose in the clamp.

IMHO good idea on these cars as they gety older to put in something like this:

Posted Image

Much more sturdy.

Bye, Arno.

#106 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:43 AM

:)

Battery or battery connections.

Thanks.  That was my initial thought but:

Just disconnected the battery completely and used a battery removed from a BMW to jump the car with no connection to the VX battery, and the fuel pump primed nicely, lights didn't flash and all seemed normal till I pressed the starter button, and got the relay clicking again.  Hmmm...

So if you'd listened to any of my posts. Namely the one an hour after you first asked the question, we wouldn't be here.

You can lead a horse to water...

Quite a large % of this forum ask for help and then don't follow sensible suggestions (or even say thank you).

I did  - so I got a new battery.  Same symptoms with new battery out of car (had no idea good jump leads wouldn't give full voltage..), and tried new battery in car and got electrical smoke from the engine bay - so quickly disconnected and got rather confused... 

And I may be hoarse, but I'm not a horse!   :rolleyes:

I think I did say thanks - I'm actually very grateful for all the help gentlemen..

The flimsy pressed steel battery clamps used on the VX (and many other cars) also have a tendency to stretch out, so even if they seem tight as the bolt can't be done up further, the post may well still be loose in the clamp.

IMHO good idea on these cars as they gety older to put in something like this:

Posted Image

Much more sturdy.

Bye, Arno.

I think that's a little mod I will be doing.

Edited by ee601, 24 January 2017 - 10:44 AM.

#107 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:04 AM

Is there a Earth wire on your ecu ??

Here's a pic of the ECU.  It does have some non-OEM wires 

=Posted Image

#108 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:06 AM

That's the coil pack bud

#109 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:07 AM

That's not the ECU. As you're SC'd, the ECU is probably mounted to the bulkhead behind the air filter.

#110 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:14 AM

Duh!  Sorry.  I did wonder. :blush:

I'll have another look when I'm back on Thursday.  Ta..

#111 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:31 AM

Posted Image

Ecu looks like this
But will have two large plugs in the bits where the tape Its probably on the fire wall between engine bay and cabin

Edited by CHILL Gone DUTCH, 24 January 2017 - 11:34 AM.

#112 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:33 AM

Or if your a NA it will be mounted in engine bay behind the drivers seat

#113 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:48 AM

Or if your a NA it will be mounted in engine bay behind the drivers seat

I'm S/C'd so by the air filter I guess. Thanks boys.

#114 Richard Hoogeveen

Richard Hoogeveen

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:54 AM

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Ok, so here's what I did today:[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]- Front Earth already tight unable to tighten further[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]- Rear earth earth tight but nipped up slightly tighter.[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:14px;"]- Stray brown wire in rear wheel arch appears to go to gearbox joining a large black cable so I assume that's going to earth maybe. Tried to tighten this connection but it's already tight.[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:14px;"]- Battery connected to car using jump leads, no smoke, ignition on dash lights look fine and fuel pump primes as normal all seems okay. Press starter button and starter turns but only for one or two times.[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:14px;"]- Removed and cleaned battery terminals, wire brush, fine grit paper, replaced nuts and washers where possible with new, connected battery.  And...[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:14px;"]- CAR STARTED!![/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Could it be that it was just grubby battery connections all along?  And jump leads couldn't make a good enough connection to get full voltage perhaps..?  I don't know if that's likely but seems to be where things are pointing..[/font]

Either way, I'm just glad it's running now.  Now I can get on with the oil vapour investigation, which I think was just an overfill, fitting a new heater motor, and all the other little improvements I was thinking about but have completely forgotten while it's been immobile!

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]All I need to know now is what to do with the stray brown wire in the wheel arch..?  Any thoughts boys?[/font]

I had exactly the same problems a few months ago... new starter engine, started only 2 time, still same problems, also used starter cables to bypass. After two days decided to sand the battery terminals and connectors and replaced nuts/washers and some silicon grease.... and voila it started ! never had problems.

And what I also noticed, the Ctek trickle charger now charges up to the orange leds.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: help, starter, relay, electrics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users