Track Day Rubber

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Foxy_Jr

Foxy_Jr

• PipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:36 PM

Probably been done to death but what's the favoured tyre choice nowadays? Can't see it's been discussed that recently. I have a lovely new set of TDs 16/17" ready to be shod and any advice would be appreciated. Who are the best suppliers? Yokos only seem to be available from DT or Lotus for the LTS versions. Avon through LOTRDC supplier. The options as far as I see it are; Yoko A048 Toyo R888 Avon ZZR Size wise what's the best to go for it always used to be 195/50R16 for the front and standard size for the rear 225/45R17. I have seen people running slightly bigger sizes is there a real world benefit? TIA

#2 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:40 PM

For the price, the federal 595 RSR are a good tyre. I'm on ZZR's at the moment but would happily go back to the federals next time and spend the £400 saves on track days and petrol.

#3 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:45 PM

I'm still on the old style 888's awesome tyres which I love just fitted a new set of rears. Probably do about one set of rears a year and one set of fronts every 2 years. Probably gonna try a set of zzr next time unless I find a bargain new set of 888s again :D

#4 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:49 PM

Over the last 12 months I've been on ZZRs, RSR, and the R888R I think for out and out grip R888R is the best but they only lasted 2 track days ( rears ) ZZRs seem very Consistant and grip very well and don't seem to wear heavy RSR is by far the best value for money and I'm keen to try them again with my recent setup they also wear very well and are only £250 a set

Edited by CHILL Gone DUTCH, 01 January 2017 - 08:50 PM.

#5 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:56 PM

A048 seem harder to get hold of and more money than the others. I'm on ZZRs at the moment and find them great, but to be honest I was running AD08Rs and R1Rs previously and found them good enough for dry grip but much better in the wet and have better wear/noise on long journeys so will probably look to go back. I say that but ideally I'll get a second set of wheels and run both options lol.

#6 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:29 PM

Over the last 12 months I've been on ZZRs, RSR, and the R888R I think for out and out grip R888R is the best but they only lasted 2 track days ( rears ) ZZRs seem very Consistant and grip very well and don't seem to wear heavy RSR is by far the best value for money and I'm keen to try them again with my recent setup they also wear very well and are only £250 a set

I've had my R888R shaved from new, so from 5mm to 3mm and they last longer than running them from 5mm. I can get 5 x 45 min races and 5 x 30 min qualis from the rears and 6 out of the fronts. That's one more than leaving them at 5mm.

#7 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:31 PM

If you don't feel brave enough to do it from new then use them for one day and get them done when they've picked up a load of rubber and see how you get on.

#8 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:13 AM

For the fronts on the RSR is there a consensus between 205/45 and 205/50. Rolling radiuses are minimally effected with either but is ride quality different (better?) or turn in (worse?) with the slightly taller sidewalls of the 50 profile?

#9 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:45 AM

45 definitely

#10 Jetpilot

Jetpilot

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:52 AM

I decided to try the Nankang Ar1 when the r888's wore out and must say I was very impressed, very similar in terms of grip and feel, same triangle indicators on the sidewall to aid making sure your at the right pressures etc and the Ns2r is also worth considering and equal to Federals.

#11 Tonie Pettersson

Tonie Pettersson

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 08:39 AM

I´ve been running 205/50-16" RSR on the front and 235/40-17" Nankang NS-2R (TW180) rear for two seasons. Can get a little slippery in the rear when I´m doing longer stints (+20min) but a nice amount of grip for almost no money at all.

This year I´m trying V70A in 205/45-16" and 225/45-17" medium compound.

#12 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:36 AM

I've had my R888R shaved from new, so from 5mm to 3mm and they last longer than running them from 5mm. I can get 5 x 45 min races and 5 x 30 min qualis from the rears and 6 out of the fronts. That's one more than leaving them at 5mm.

Interesting. Quick Google as to how it works. Otherwise would have thought it sounded like BS. �

#13 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:10 AM

Interesting. Quick Google as to how it works. Otherwise would have thought it sounded like BS. �

Place in Tadworth does them for £10 each. Remove from wheel, shave, refit and balance.

#14 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:14 PM

I decided to try the Nankang Ar1 when the r888's wore out and must say I was very impressed, very similar in terms of grip and feel, same triangle indicators on the sidewall to aid making sure your at the right pressures etc and the Ns2r is also worth considering and equal to Federals.

I'd be very interested in trying the AR1s - where did you get the 195/50/16s from?

#15 Foxy_Jr

Foxy_Jr

• PipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:27 AM

I'd be very interested in trying the AR1s - where did you get the 195/50/16s from?
Had this reply from Nankang; "Hi Neil, Thank you for your message. The AR-1 has been delayed slightly from the original expected date of Q3-Q4 to Feb/March 2017. There are only a select number of authorised motorsport dealers to protect the price. Demon Tweeks would be the best option at this moment in time, they are the biggest motorsport stockist we supply in the UK. Keep posted on our social media Kind regards" So it looks like a waiting game as far as a 16" front is concerned.

#16 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:52 AM

has anyone had any experience of the 

Federal FZ-201 Road - Track Tyre

#17 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:55 AM

The track day road/track tire market has certainly changed over the 21-18 months so think this is a good topic 

#18 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:31 PM

fz-201 , sizes don't work for us , iirc

#19 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:03 PM

595's are not a semi slick, yes they are cheap and they do perform well but semislick levels of grip they do not have. . The v70a's are probably the best dry tyre i used but they dont have much tread and wear quite quick. R888's are, or at least was the cheapest semi slick.. ZZR's im yet to try, just putvthem on so hopefully will get a couple trackdays out of them to get a beytee opinion. AO48's im also yet to try for more than 5 mins.

Edited by chris_uk, 04 January 2017 - 02:04 PM.

#20 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:06 PM

if we are talking 595rsr - , then you are wrong

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users