Photo

Vx Given Full Classic Status By Classic And Sports Car Magazine!

classic

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 turbo2015

turbo2015

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:34 AM

will this mean cheaper insurance? my mr2 cost me 190 a year under[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;] the classic classification.[/color]

#22 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:12 PM

I'd like to think / hope so.

#23 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:18 PM

Christ you lot are so negative.

It just tickles one of my irritations, those who write into car mags enquiring whether their beloved is a 'classic'.  Truth is, there's no such thing as a classic or the mythical status of being so.  It's in the eye of the beholder. 

So called 'classic car' policies are merely limited mileage policies.

If you think your VX is a classic, go and ask Freddie March whether you can enter one of his races.  I'll hear him laughing from here.

#24 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:29 PM

I think you can define a classic as something thats reasonably old, something they aint going to make again and that may not have been a roaring success at the time of build but over time has become more appreciated. There are lots of cars that drop into this category not just VX220s. The S1 is a cert for full classic status, Clio V6 and lots of Renault stuff like the GT turbo, 172 Trophy etc, 106 Rallye (I'm desperately hunting one currently) Almost any pre 1995 thing with a Ford badge on has huge appeal for "classic" buyers too. 

#25 Harry Hornet

Harry Hornet

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:17 PM

I think you can define a classic as something thats reasonably old, something they aint going to make again and that may not have been a roaring success at the time of build but over time has become more appreciated.

..such kind words about me..thank you Jon..  :)  

#26 Andyeddie

Andyeddie

• PipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Cars, winding up toss pots, grammer, haggis, kilts, football, food, modern archiology, doughnuts, Rootes group cars, Glam rock, The Who, Led Zep, The Stones, INXS, other stuff.

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:58 PM

Great article, but replace tiiming chain on an n/a at 60k, really!!!!! I don't think so.

#27 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:10 PM

Great article, but replace tiiming chain on an n/a at 60k, really!!!!! I don't think so.

What makes you say that? I certainly wouldn't want to wait any longer. The real issue with these cars is people assume they don't need to change them because they haven't hit the mileage needed, despite the plastic guides degrading due to age.

#28 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:20 PM

When it rattles change it/ repeat ad nauseum. 

The most we have ever seen is slightly worn guides on 80k ish cars. 10k I personally might start thinking about it but the worst car I ever saw had 30k on it. But it rattled. A lot. 

#29 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:27 PM

I find more non-functioning balancer chain tensioners than anything else, this then causes the old guides to wear fast.

I have yet to see a timing chain which didn't need replacing, perhaps I just get the bad ones to do :lol:

#30 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:31 PM

the worst chain guides I have seen :ninja:

Posted Image

#31 MartinS

MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:36 PM

Classic status! Now I'll have to sell it as I have no intention of wearing a flat cap and smoking a pipe in my car.

Martin S

ps Then again, maybe a flat cap might just work?!

#32 GiGo

GiGo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:41 PM

Christ you lot are so negative.

It just tickles one of my irritations, those who write into car mags enquiring whether their beloved is a 'classic'.  Truth is, there's no such thing as a classic or the mythical status of being so.  It's in the eye of the beholder. 

So called 'classic car' policies are merely limited mileage policies.

If you think your VX is a classic, go and ask Freddie March whether you can enter one of his races.  I'll hear him laughing from here.

I don't agree about a classic policy being a normal policy with limited mileage.

I got a quote last year (can't remember the company, under writer was Ageas) but I had to ring them after it couldn't complete it online and after 15 mins repeating all my details the nice lady on the phone quoted some ridiculous price, I told her that the price I had been given online was so much cheaper, she put me on hold and 5 mins later came back and said words to the effect "Sorry, the reason was because the quote you did online was for a classic policy".  All the details were the same, mileage etc... and it came back much cheaper. 

Ken, love the article!

#33 Andyeddie

Andyeddie

• PipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Cars, winding up toss pots, grammer, haggis, kilts, football, food, modern archiology, doughnuts, Rootes group cars, Glam rock, The Who, Led Zep, The Stones, INXS, other stuff.

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:12 PM

What makes you say that? I certainly wouldn't want to wait any longer. The real issue with these cars is people assume they don't need to change them because they haven't hit the mileage needed, despite the plastic guides degrading due to age.
If you want to replace the timing chain/guides for no other reason than its hit 60k, be my guest, but I'll replace mine when it begins to exhibit signs of wear. I'm not aware of any "official" change out interval on these chains, unlike belts which as we all know have a time/mileage limit, usually whichever comes first. I've had several of these engines in various vehicles, some reaching 150k before being sold on, none required a timing chain, just fastidious servicing, i.e. Frequent oil and filter changes, using quality products, not cheap shyte from Halfrauds etc. Seems to work for me.

#34 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:19 PM

100k is the official line but this was inserted during the cars lifetime apparently. 

A worn chain guide might make a good picture but its long long way from wearing right through. Based on the ones we have taken out suring this year you would be in to 150k before the guides actually became problematic in terms of the operation of the timing. 

Edited by jonnyboy, 06 January 2017 - 09:21 PM.

#35 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:24 PM

100k is the official line but this was inserted during the cars lifetime apparently. 

A worn chain guide might make a good picture but its long long way from wearing right through. Based on the ones we have taken out suring this year you would be in to 150k before the guides actually became problematic in terms of the operation of the timing. 

worn guides cause more friction on the chain, then guides will quickly get worse

#36 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:27 PM

How does a slightly worn guide add more friction to the chain? 

#37 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:30 PM

if a chain wears in to a guide there will more of the chain touching the guide 

but im sure you know all this with all your experience doing chains and guides 

#38 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:34 PM

Not my department Chill I know as much about that stuff as you do about track driving ;) 

#39 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:36 PM

if i was any good at track driving i would be a pro 

which im not just a armature having fun 

#40 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:38 PM

In all seriousness though a chain guide covered in lubricant vs a slightly worn chain guide covered in lubricant = virtually no measurable difference in the tension or pressure on the chain. Its just a guide thats had the chain dragging over it for a bit longer than a new one. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: classic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users