• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Branagorn

Branagorn

• Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:I like bikes too

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:04 PM

So i've recently installed a dash cam in my VX, its great so far.

The suction cup mount seems strudy enough.  But I got to thinking, I've got a perfectly good plastic ball/nub there going unused (I've opted to ditch the gigantic rear view mirror and see how I get on with just the side mirrors).

Perhaps, there could be a way to utalise the existing bracket, which I've measured to be a 30mm ball.  All that would be needed would be a 30mm female ballsocket (most likely need to be plastic) with a 1/4 inch thread attached to the bottom.

This standard thread would not only be useful for the dashcam, but also gadget/tripod mounts.  Say for a gopro for trackday recording.

I thought this idea was conceptually simple, but several google searches are proving different.

Are there any 3D printing enthuasiasts out there?  Althought what little knowledge I have of 3D printing, i'd assume the material would be too brittle for this application.

Anyway, I thought I'd extend this idea to the forum, it may have some interest/use for others.  Obviously only for those wanting to ditch the rear view mirror, but it sounds like a few have gone this way.  Let me know your thoughts.

#2 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:05 PM

All you need to do is buy some Polymorph insert a spare threaded mount and then sculpt it by hand around the ball socket.

#3 Branagorn

Branagorn

• Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:I like bikes too

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:33 PM

All you need to do is buy some Polymorph insert a spare threaded mount and then sculpt it by hand around the ball socket.

Thats a cool curve-ball suggestion.  Can you imagine this stuff yielding a good moveable action around the ball, and for it to be removable (either permanently, or preferable have the same mount be reusable)?

#4 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:04 PM

If you SLS print in nylon, it is pretty robust.  I use 123d which is free, and 3DPrintUK to do the printing... just upload, pay and wait... the finished parts are incredibly accurate in my limited experience, and you can buy in white/graphite black, polished/unpolished.

http://www.vx220.org...-bat/?p=1859846

My latest project is a wing mirror mount :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users