• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 glitch

glitch

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:13 AM

Hi guys,

trying to sort all the small niggles on the VX before being able to do the import registration here in Sweden.

The ABS has been previously disabled via a switch in the front.

ABS light however stays on even after switching it to "On".

It seems to be inserted along a black wire? I thought it was a yellow one that is normally cut?

Posted Image

I managed finally to get OPCOM working, and cleared a bunch of fault codes linked to the ABS, but one of them keeps coming back directly after clearing.

It says it has an issue with the rear circuit right side.

Posted Image

I thought this one is the one also driving the speedo? Because last time I drove the car speedo worked fined.

I have also measured the voltage and the connector going to the ABS shows 5V as I believe it should?

Not sure what to try next.

Thanks!

#2 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:48 AM

Have you driven the car since reconnecting the ABS? On my car you have to go over 5mph or so before the light goes out again. Or I was just impatient...

#3 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:01 AM

Speedo is rear left.

#4 glitch

glitch

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:23 AM

Have you driven the car since reconnecting the ABS? On my car you have to go over 5mph or so before the light goes out again. Or I was just impatient...

Hi James,

just driven the car briefly after reconnecting the ABS, and this was before the code resetting with OPCOM and the light stayed on at that time.

#5 glitch

glitch

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:19 PM

I also checked the cables going into the wheel bearing and they look fine and properly connected so no frayed cables from what I can see.

#6 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:43 PM

Have you checked that the switch is working ok. This happened to me once and the culprit was a faulty switch Also, presumably you are turning the ABS back on with the ignition switched off & not with the engine running?

Edited by PaulCP, 12 January 2017 - 01:44 PM.

#7 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:39 PM

You have to drive it a short distance to reset the abs after switch it on Looking at that switch I would remove it a connect the wired together

#8 glitch

glitch

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:24 PM

Hi,

Yes i switched the ABS "back on" with the ignition off.

I will try to disconnect the switch and connect the wire back together to ensure I have a good connection so I can rule that out.

When I reset the ABS in OPCOM it immediately displays the error codes again so it seems something is still triggering the fault code - I suppose driving it wouldn't change much as I suppose the light goes off after the car is driven for a while and the system runs "fault free" for a period of time?

#9 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:34 PM

its more it needs to find its self after switching it back on 

hopfully it wont come back on until you switch it off again 

#10 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,760 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:50 PM

Has the car been standing for any length of time? I've had to change the rear passenger sensor twice through malfunction after the car had been standing for a period of time.

Edited by oblomov, 12 January 2017 - 06:50 PM.

#11 glitch

glitch

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:25 PM

Has the car been standing for any length of time? I've had to change the rear passenger sensor twice through malfunction after the car had been standing for a period of time.

Hi, I think the car stood some weeks due to infrequent use with previous owner. Since in my custody it has just been standing :) How did you sort the sensors? Note mine is on the right side (driver side).

#12 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:16 PM

You can measure the resistance of each ABS sensor at the hub connector; should be around 1400 Ohm.

#13 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:28 AM

Switch used to work fine before I sold the car, your opcom output points to rear right, I know I changed all wheel bearing but thinking about it was a while ago now so might of developed a fault. 

ABS was rubbish even on the road, wouldn't even bother with it on track, most do the 4 channel unit but reports on that are 50/50.

#14 glitch

glitch

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:35 AM

You can measure the resistance of each ABS sensor at the hub connector; should be around 1400 Ohm.

Basically unplug the abs sensor from the loom, and measure the two pins of the female connector attached to the wheel bearing?  

#15 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:29 PM

Easiest way I find to troubleshoot the ABS is by detecting signals at the ABS plug.  There's a key somewhere on here to where the 8 wires run in the plug.  If there's signal there with the wheel being turns by a helper, your problem is upstream.

#16 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:49 PM

Basically unplug the abs sensor from the loom, and measure the two pins of the female connector attached to the wheel bearing?  

Yep; unplug the connector and measure accross the 2 pins. If that measures OK (wiggle the wires to check for intermitting contacts), you then need to look towards the ABS wiring. (check for continuety or shorts. There is a scheme of the ABS connector pins somewhere.)

#17 glitch

glitch

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:52 PM

Haven't had time to go to the car yet, but just a quick question, if my harness was damaged somewhere along the circuit for rear right sensor, shouldn't I then get a 0 voltage reading from the ABS plug at the end of the harness? As today it measures 5v?

I thought that if there was an interuption in the wiring, then there would be no positive voltage i.e. a break in the harness cable would interupt the voltage?

But then again maybe that is not at all how it works :)

#18 glitch

glitch

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:33 AM

So I spent some time with the car this weekend.

I removed the ABS switch and made a new connection of the yellow wire - so now it is 100% connected.

I measured resistance at the plug connector of the wheel sensor. It seems to measure OK?

Posted Image

I measured voltage at the connector coming from the loom which plugs into the ABS wheel bearing sensor. Also seems OK?

Posted Image

Not sure what to do next? I seem to have power in the loom and the bearing sensor seems OK?

Edited by glitch, 13 February 2017 - 10:34 AM.

#19 glitch

glitch

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:52 AM

I hope I set it up right for measuring Ohm? Never done it before :)

#20 glitch

glitch

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:19 PM

Help anyone? Stuck on this. Not sure what to try next - or how to proceed?

Had I lived in the UK the obvious thing was to buy my way out of this issue by dropping the car at a workshop which knows their way around a VX but I am out of luck on that point here :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users