Tips For Gearbox Re-Fitting - Vxt

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rokkan

rokkan

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:32 PM

Evening all, does anybody have any tips for the PITA job that is refitting the F23 gearbox? I've changed the clutch and flywheel (performance Courtney items) but the gearbox refitting is proving a real pain. I've been close but I cannot seem to align the gearbox input shaft (despite rotating it with a screw driver) to the engine. I've dropped the gearbox it back to the floor to form my next plan of attack. I currently have the engine on a jack and the gear box on a hoist (two ratchet straps so I can alter the angle). I tried lowering the engine to create a different angle for the gearbox but no joy so far. I've been following Nev's excellent guide but this has got me stumped. Photo's available if that would help.

#2 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:55 PM

i try and get a longer bolt in 2 holes and jiggle it about ,leaver with a  piece of wood and shout and swear at it lol

it sometimes goes easy other times not so well .

#3 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:59 PM

If clutch was aligned correct it really is getting it inline to slide on. Having done more than my fair share some still fight me, other got on 1st try Its a mixture of engine / box position with tools you have to move them about Keep in neutral for the box and a touch of copper slip on the splines does no harm A cuppa and break from it can also help 😉 Have a look at the engine rotation / position and box also, once the box is roughly lined up give it a good wiggle / play Good luck DG

#4 rokkan

rokkan

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:44 PM

Thanks both. I've been thinking about using bolts to assist with the alignment between the gear box and clutch so I'll give that a go. I'll also try some copper slip to ease the process. I was also reading that it might help to turn over the engine in case the splines are not aligning in the final push.  

#5 rokkan

rokkan

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:38 PM

Flywheel and clutch mounted to engine and centered. Looks okay - happy to be told otherwise though!

http://www.vx220.org.uk/forums/Posted Image

#6 vxah

vxah

• 8 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:03 PM

You did check that the disc fitted the input shaft of the gearbox before you installed it? Not that anyone has ever been sold the wrong part??

Not sure that I would use copper grease though.. There is a special grease for clutch splines, bribe you local Vauxhall tech with food in exchange for a dob of it!

Slip the box into 5th so that it's hard to rotate then turn the engine to get the splines to drop in...

#7 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:14 PM

what alignment tool is being used there?

#8 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:55 PM

I have had gearboxes just slip straight on and others take several hours to align.

Usually it is because the engine to gearbox mating surfaces are not perfectly parallel, which can sometimes be difficult to achieve on your own. Another thing to do is put the gearbox in gear and use a screwdriver to move the flywheel slightly whilst attempting to align it.

Edited by vocky, 16 January 2017 - 05:56 PM.

#9 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:59 PM

Looks like generic adjustment tool and done but def worth checking position on centre plate by hand / eye I have done a few with old fashioned long socket like a true pikey 😉 It really is all about getting the box past the point where the spline goes in the centre of clutch and then move engine / box so its lined up true and wiggle on I have done every way possible from on my back to ramps and all the proper tools and sometimes brute lift and push on. Do this only if your upto lifting it and do safely, friend can always help.....to swear at 😉 DG

#10 Tony

Tony

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Railways, Photography, DIY

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:10 PM

Probably a stupid question, I've not done a gearbox since the Sierra, and on that persistence, shaking and turning eventually made them fit. But does the gearbox input shaft still locate into the center of the flywheel, and if so, is the hole/bush/bearing the correct size to allow (assuming it's a non standard)

Edited by Tony, 16 January 2017 - 06:19 PM.

#11 rokkan

rokkan

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:20 PM

Hello all, good news (and thanks for the tips). After a day of fighting, wrestling, thinking and cursing, the gearbox is back on. After the last post, I dropped the g'box to the floor, rechecked that the clutch would fit (back to basics), removed and re-centred the clutch and housing (the tool is a generic laser job from Halfords) and on it went after the 2nd attempt. I think the only thing i did differently was to stick it in gear and then manually rotate the g'box to have the splines align - getting the g'box parallel was luck and perseverance than judgement!

I'm now working through re-assembly. In doing so, I spotted the front engine mount had split so I need to order one tomorrow.

Cheers

Edited by rokkan, 22 January 2017 - 12:22 PM.

#12 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:14 PM

Always a good feeling when they go back on 😊 Well done sticking with it DG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users