Photo

Skoda Octavia Clutch Change, Dual Or Single Mass Flywheel?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kipper

kipper

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • Interests:Things that rotate.
    Smoking various types
    of fish.

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:29 PM

My wife's Skoda Octavia estate, 2.0 TDI, is due for a clutch change. The general opinion so far is that it might be best to change from a dual mass to a single mass flywheel. However, not as simple when trying to order parts, as with all VAG variants. It seems that my preferred replacement made by Sachs (single mass) will only fit if a Sachs flywheel and clutch were fitted as standard, which seems strange. lUK make a dual mass kit of flywheel and clutch which is a little more costly, but should fit. The cars done over 100k miles and we will probably keep it for another year. Has anybody done the conversion or have any opinions on the manufacturers, or how to tell what make of clutch was fitted OEM, (as my local motor factor cannot find out). Thanks

#2 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:31 PM

If you're keeping for another 100K, then change.  If for another year, why have the hassle, expense and risk?

#3 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:34 PM

In general a single mass conversion kit is about the same cost as a new clutch and duel mass. The saving is more in the future when the new clutch needs replacing again. Then comes the question of engine wear relating to fitting a standard flywheel when a duel mass is supposed to be fitted. As you're selling it in about a year, I'd fit a single mass conversion if it was substantially cheaper but if it was about the same price I'd stick to what was designed. If you put your reg in eurocarparts what does it say?

#4 kipper

kipper

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
    Smoking various types
    of fish.

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:07 PM

If you're keeping for another 100K, then change.  If for another year, why have the hassle, expense and risk?

The continuing 'it's going to breakdown from the wife' is worth the expense for a little peace!

#5 kipper

kipper

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
    Smoking various types
    of fish.

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:15 PM

In general a single mass conversion kit is about the same cost as a new clutch and duel mass. The saving is more in the future when the new clutch needs replacing again. Then comes the question of engine wear relating to fitting a standard flywheel when a duel mass is supposed to be fitted. As you're selling it in about a year, I'd fit a single mass conversion if it was substantially cheaper but if it was about the same price I'd stick to what was designed. If you put your reg in eurocarparts what does it say?

The costs in the end work out to be about the same as the various kits have differing amounts of components, for example the Sachs kit (single mass) does not come with a slave cylinder kit, whereas the LUK (dual mass) comes with a slave cylinder. However, as you say the dual mass is about £50 more expensive. I'll think that I will go for the dual mass as a direct replacement, it's a bit of a bugger after dropping the box to find out that there is a problem, with tolerances etc. Thanks Dave

#6 Johnboyhgt

Johnboyhgt

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Tracks, Mods

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:16 PM

Don't want to alarm you but i have heard of these conversions causing crankshafts to fail and gearbox bearings to become noisy. IMO i would stick with the dual mass its done 100k on the original thus far.

I have an account at my local factors, PM me your reg no and i will price it up.

#7 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:55 PM

standard performance car = leave it dual mass

modified performance car = probably better to fit a single mass

#8 kipper

kipper

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
    Smoking various types
    of fish.

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:09 PM

Don't want to alarm you but i have heard of these conversions causing crankshafts to fail and gearbox bearings to become noisy. IMO i would stick with the dual mass its done 100k on the original thus far.

I have an account at my local factors, PM me your reg no and i will price it up.

Thanks for the offer mate...but just ordered it form my local motor factors, had to crack on with it as got the use of a friend of mines four poster for the weekend.

But very kind of you to offer.

Dave

#9 kipper

kipper

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
    Smoking various types
    of fish.

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:13 PM

standard performance car = leave it dual mass

modified performance car = probably better to fit a single mass

Thanks Vocky, have ordered a dual mass...feel a bit easier replacing like for like, especially with clutches on FWD cars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users