• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Oldboystoy

Oldboystoy

• Pip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Cars,Football and red wine

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:24 PM

Looking for some thoughts/advice on trackday tyres. I have been running R888's all round but have just bought some A048 Yokos for the rears. Since I have 4 good R888 fronts I was thinking of running this combination next time out. I am aware of the discussions regarding tyre choice but have not come across mixing two brands. Is this a 'definite no,no' or a 'you'll never tell the difference'. Bear in mind that I am not the quickest driver out there. Just the oldest !!

#2 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:32 PM

R888s are harder to warm up, so it might not be the best thing. If the R888s were on the rear then it would be fine IMO.

#3 T VXT

T VXT

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:12 PM

You will be fine. Just be very aware the front / rear grip balance will be different, especially during warm up phase. I did a track day with crappy road tyres on the rear (£40 tyres a garage put on to get through an MOT before I bought it) and 888's on the front. The only reason I did this was because I picked up a puncture in one of my rear 888's a day before the track day. It was still a fun day but I was sliding the rear everywhere :-)

#4 darronwall

darronwall

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,706 posts
  • Interests:the older i get the more my genitals look like jeremy clarkson

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:37 AM

It'll be fine

#5 G-Bob

G-Bob

Embarrassing VX's in an MX5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,256 posts
  • Interests:Silver VX Bashing!

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:13 PM

It'll be fine as long as you re-learn the balance of the car and drive accordingly.

#6 Oldboystoy

Oldboystoy

• Pip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Cars,Football and red wine

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:20 AM

Many thanks, I will give it a go and see how it feels driving at 90%. Apologies for the delay in responding.The good lady made me go on holiday for a week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users