• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#141 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

If its not broken, I'll break it

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,617 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:27 AM

Very entertaining race, you seemed to make the time up at gooseneck and the mountain but then loose it again at turn 2 and the sharper right half way round the circuit (where you had a scary grass cutting moment).

I'm there on the 27th July with opentrack and then racing on the 29th.

Current information is a green flag lap but a rolling start but will check the final instructions carefully.

#142 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,367 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:53 PM

Great start and an excellent race to watch! You really do blaze through the Mountain, looks like you've got that bit nailed. You seem to get left behind at Barn though. I was told to take a later apex through there to widen the line, perhaps that's why people are getting away?

#143 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• 2,498 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:50 PM

Very entertaining race, you seemed to make the time up at gooseneck and the mountain but then loose it again at turn 2 and the sharper right half way round the circuit (where you had a scary grass cutting moment).

I'm there on the 27th July with opentrack and then racing on the 29th.

Current information is a green flag lap but a rolling start but will check the final instructions carefully.

Scary grass cutting was during a little rain shower so there was a bit less grip than I expected. I could have lifted and made the exit but it's such a long straight I didn't want to get passed at the end so decided to just keep the boot in and deal with it. There's quite a lot of GrassCrete on the outside of the corners so there's more grip there than you would imagine (unless it's been raining!)

Check again on the day with regards green flag with the Clerk of the course. It was only mentioned in the new driver briefing and wasn't mentioned in the final instructions that were sent out. Key thing is, if there's a 5 second board and red lights, your racing. Obvious maybe but not when you're expecting a green flag lap!

Great start and an excellent race to watch! You really do blaze through the Mountain, looks like you've got that bit nailed. You seem to get left behind at Barn though. I was told to take a later apex through there to widen the line, perhaps that's why people are getting away?

It's the entrance to Barn that I struggle with as the back steps out. I had a chat with the guy chasing me in the race (you can't see me defending behind - need a rear camera) and he suggested a stab of the brakes rather than feather the throttle is quicker and keeps the car more settled. Same thing for turn 2. However the guy running in 1st doesn't brake for either...

I'd like to go back and have another go without the pressure of the race. A bit more practice will get me the time - it's such a technical circuit!

#144 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,367 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:47 AM

(you can't see me defending behind - need a rear camera) 

There were a few occasions watching the race where I thought you were taking an unusual line but quickly realised you were defending :)

I still have a lot to learn at Cadwell and need to get back there at some point.

#145 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• 2,498 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:07 PM

Race 1 video

The eagle eyed among you will notice that I'm racing with the same 3 guys that I was in race 2.

The way the field seems to be split in terms of pace is:

- there's a lead group that seem to consistently take 1st to 4th

- then there's a second group that fill slots up to 8th

- and then there's a 3rd group & the rest of the field that seem to have a bit less consistency.

I seem to have established my qualifying and race pace among the 2nd group of drivers.

The challenge over the next few races will be to work my way towards the front of the 2nd group and start to get some 6th & 5th place finishes (except some races have lots more attendees so the exact position will vary). It'll then be a big jump to try and get on the back of the lead group as they just seem to have a clear pace advantage. 

#146 Foxy

Foxy

Whipping Boy

• 9,222 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:54 PM

I wish I hadn't watched that...juices are flowing. Looks fantastic.
Addictive isn't it!
You're doing really well, must be pleased with yourself. I predict that you'll be having more than one podium before the season's out...

#147 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• 2,498 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:14 AM

:thumbsup:

It is addictive! As soon as one race is over focus turns to the next one.

Which is an interesting one at Donington on 3rd/4th June. On the Saturday we have a normal qualifying and race but on the Sunday we have a 4 hour non championship endurance race.

I've joined a team of 4 for the endurance so should run for an hour assuming no incidents or failures. It's going to be a fun one with less pressure.

Counting the days already...

#148 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,367 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:10 PM

Donnington is great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users