22 replies to this topic

#1 Danny Scarbro

Danny Scarbro

• Pip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:Track days!

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:50 PM

Good afternoon all,

I have recently purchased my second vx220 and thought it was only right to share it and the plans for the car.

Its worth mentioning I have already found the forum very useful for a few bits so thanks for the input of everyone.

My previous vx220 was a yellow 2.2 with a supercharger and light track mods, It was actually a great car but was sold over the Westfield to fund a house deposit and however great the Westfield was, it has moved so little over winter I thought I was more beneficial having a car I can use whatever the weather.

So the replacement....

A 2001 vx220 2.2 NA, with a fairly comprehensive engine build and supercharger conversion, good track mods and a very clean with great aesthetics.

It seems to be a great base for what will give me loads of track pleasure, the first track day is booked for this Saturday at Blyton. (We always have one track day here just to see what the limits of the car are and how it reacts there before taking it to say Cadwel or Oulton park.

Since purchasing the car I have removed the carpets/rear interior/door cards and will be on the look out for some carbon fibre seats as and when funds allow.

There is a boss and 320mm suede wheel to go on before Saturday, I have ordered some Ferodo DS3000 front pads and some blue stuff rears that also need fitting and bedding before Saturday!

The engine spec and power I am quite happy with at the moment, its not breathtakingly fast however is perfect for learning the car and it will take me some time to be exploiting it properly, I am curious as to what ECU's people are running and whether we think the current set up is working efficiently.

Its a fully forged 2.2, Eaton M62 supercharger, Comp Blower cams, Tullet 3" full system, 2.8 modular pulley, OBD tuner enabled ECU, it ran 275bhp according to the previous owner which I thought for that spec was slightly low. I did wonder though if a better ECU and some adj cam gears may be needed to get the most out of the set up?

The chassis feels fairly well sorted but Saturday will tell us more, I have already lowered the nitrons at the front slightly to give it abit more rake (it was sitting fairly flat and high at the front).

My first mini project for the car is to sort the gearbox and ratio's out, they are ludicrously long and it seems such a good way of getting some better performance out of the car. Truth be told I will never see over 130mph on any of the tracks near me so may aswell get it geared as closely to that as possible.

To do this I am going to use the 4.4 Final Drive from America (Saturn VUE) to start with, this will give a optimum top speed at 7k in top of about 147mph, still abit long but a massive improvement. I may look at going down from the 17" rear wheel to help with this however the market for wide 15/16" wheels is terrible in the current PCD. I may even look at doing the S2 elise conversion and run 4x100 as then we can swap wheels with our other project (Mk1 Mx5 with a Honda S2000 engine...going supercharged!)

At the same time as putting the shorter final drive I will be fitting a quaife LSD and lighter flywheel, Ive heard good things about TTV and it seems they make the Courtney motorsport ones so will probably use that.

Im thinking that should realy wake the car up and make it feel 'alive' on the track.

Then it will be a case of using the car whilst reducing weight where I can before bolting on the haroop charger if its needed.

So there's my plans, really looking forward to getting my head and hands into this car!

I'll post some pictures up shortly, any advice or help on the build will be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Dan

#2 r2mlb

r2mlb

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:17 PM

Welcome back Dan! Good to see you back in the fold. Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your new car. You certainly don't hang around when you've got your mind set on something. P.S. you're not having your Mak wheels back, love them too much :D

#3 Danny Scarbro

Danny Scarbro

• Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:32 PM

Pictures as promised;

Attached Files

#4 Danny Scarbro

Danny Scarbro

• Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:38 PM

Welcome back Dan! Good to see you back in the fold. Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your new car. You certainly don't hang around when you've got your mind set on something. P.S. you're not having your Mak wheels back, love them too much :D

Thanks mate, I have been looking at them wheels again this week, if I don't go down to 15's I think it will be my wheel of choice in gloss black.

Really suit the car well.

Dan

#5 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:40 PM

whats happened to the engine cover?

#6 Danny Scarbro

Danny Scarbro

• Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:46 PM

It has been cut open as the engine cover was stuck down aprarently, it is now using aero catches so I will be putting a full mesh back on as and when the time is right!

Dan

#7 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:51 PM

If you want 15s, Sanremo Corse available in 6, 6.5 and 7" widths, may need spacers, but PCD is good.  Germans have another option, but too wide for me.

#8 Danny Scarbro

Danny Scarbro

• Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:55 PM

Thanks for the heads up, If I go 15's I will need to go 8/9" rear to be honest.

15" ATS DCT's will probably be the way to go on current PCD.

Dan

#9 turbo boy

turbo boy

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Interests:Cars, fitness, fishing, sports

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:42 PM

Hi Dan, Welcome dude! Love that green on a VX - very unique. Where are u in Lincolnshire? I'm in Newark but work in Lincoln. Will keep an eye out for u. It's likely that u will bump into Gadgetman at Blyton as he's a marshall there and another SC owner. All the best, Jon

#10 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:41 PM

bluestuff rear pads ? Any particular reason ?  :huh:

#11 Danny Scarbro

Danny Scarbro

• Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:56 PM

Thanks Jon, I'm in Horncastle so it too far away at all. I think he mentioned that on the thread I stayed for the track day, will be good to meet a few of the vx owners and get some tips and hinters from you! I went for the blue stuff rear pads as it's a last minute fix, and they seem to be cheap and available. I have a friend who's judgement I trus who said they were pretty good so we will see! If they are not any good I'll get some DS3000's or otherwise. Dan

#12 Danny Scarbro

Danny Scarbro

• Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:25 PM

Double post

Edited by Danny Scarbro, 14 February 2017 - 11:26 PM.

#13 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:32 PM

Your pad choice is a bit odd. Blue stuff are cheap crap and the Ferodos aren't the best.

#14 Danny Scarbro

Danny Scarbro

• Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:40 AM

As said it was a cheap fix with limited time before the track day; I wanted to go for the Carbotech XP10's from Ian as we've loved them on the mx5 but time and money constraints meant otherwise.

I will probably go onto them at some point.

Dan

Edited by Danny Scarbro, 15 February 2017 - 08:40 AM.

#15 jonn75

jonn75

• Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:51 PM

Welcome back Dan , car looks good ! What steering wheel have you bought ? I'm interested in another also Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

#16 Danny Scarbro

Danny Scarbro

• Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:35 AM

Thanks John,

I have got an old generic suede wheel (320mm) which I am going to put on first to see how it feels.

Un-sure whether to go 300 or 320mm, either way it will most probably be a suede sparco/omp jobby.

Many thanks

Dan

#17 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:58 AM

Knew you would be hooked once you'd driven one. I remember us talking about VX's at Blyton long, long ago :)

I'd try and make it to Blyton but I'm buying a new tow car next week which will need a tow bar etc so I recon I'll be back on track in April. We will have to hook up at Cadwell so you can give me some tips thumbsup

Edited by SteveA, 16 February 2017 - 11:58 AM.

#18 Danny Scarbro

Danny Scarbro

• Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:31 PM

Yeah I was very very impressed with the last one and although the supercharged Westfield was blisteringly fast it just wasn't for me at the moment.

Would love to get on a Cadwell day with you Steve, need some tips from yourself of how you get the best out of the vx220's.

Scarily I've only done Cadwell twice in the last two years so may be abit rusty myself.

Want to get down in the 1;39's this year with the vx220 as it is.

You think that's achievable Steve?

Dan

#19 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:00 PM

Absolutely, with the right setup. Will need plenty of commitment though.

I'm also wanting to be achieving similar times in my Cat so it would be a good day.

Edited by SteveA, 16 February 2017 - 01:05 PM.

#20 Danny Scarbro

Danny Scarbro

• Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:03 PM

Good to hear, How you getting on with the Caterham Steve? Still loving it, I had a day in one at Donnington and was very impressed I must say.

Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users