Modded The 2.2 Sc Manifold To Run A Intercooler

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 dewismotorsport

dewismotorsport

• Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:35 PM

Thought I'd share my project as it may well be of interest to the sc guys and girls.

Having used my sc 2.2 on track I often found I struggled with intake temps and I'd get the CS map cut kick in. Power wasn't massive at 243bhp and I was running the dual pass mod and water wetter but made no difference.

So with the car being raced this year (it's a astra coupe not vx220 sorry) and 40 minute races I decided to mod the intake to accept a intercooler.

So set about chopping it up. The original design is really restrictive looking

Posted Image
Posted Image

Left myself with this
Posted Image
Posted Image

Removed the top lip as well which will aid flow

Before
Posted Image

After
Posted Image

Made a new partition and feed tube (ignore the tube length that got cut down once later once boost pipes were made)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Then second section made
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Made myself a new actuator return
http://i693.photobuc...zpskwvjocpf.jpg
http://i693.photobuc...zps4iwgwxnl.jpg

Made up some O rings to seal it
http://i693.photobuc...zpsx56zqbn1.jpg

And fitted
http://i693.photobuc...zpsh52yyglc.jpg

And mock up of pipework for intercooler
http://i693.photobuc...zpsueh3rlst.jpg

I appreciate this isn't a vx220 I'm sure a similar design could be made. The inlet is more compact than standard and a 1/3rd lighter.

I will report back with results/feedback once I've tested the car.

#2 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:41 PM

nice work 

we have also seen good results from using water injection 

but will look forward to the results 

my next question when your on the CS software how do you monitor the intake temps and how does the ecu know 

ie do you use a Tmap

#3 dewismotorsport

dewismotorsport

• Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:48 PM

Are all the pictures showing? Some just have links weirdly.

#4 dewismotorsport

dewismotorsport

• Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:52 PM

nice work  we have also seen good results from using water injection  but will look forward to the results    my next question when your on the CS software how do you monitor the intake temps and how does the ecu know  ie do you use a Tmap

Water injection is plan b, races being 40 minutes I'd get through a fair bit I imagine and I would need to make it in a sealed box in case of a roll. On the CS software your very limited unlike Dutch software, unless you add an additional probe. Normally you know there high as all of a sudden the map goes rich and you noticeably lose power until it cools enough.

#5 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:56 PM

Are all the pictures showing? Some just have links weirdly.

just external links on some of the pics 

#6 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:03 PM

nice work  we have also seen good results from using water injection  but will look forward to the results    my next question when your on the CS software how do you monitor the intake temps and how does the ecu know  ie do you use a Tmap

Water injection is plan b, races being 40 minutes I'd get through a fair bit I imagine and I would need to make it in a sealed box in case of a roll. On the CS software your very limited unlike Dutch software, unless you add an additional probe. Normally you know there high as all of a sudden the map goes rich and you noticeably lose power until it cools enough.

i get between 20-25 mins out of 2.2 litre tank before it starts kicking in the fail safe from the water level sensor 

do you have to have a sealed tank for 100% water (this is what im using ) 

how does the CS ecu no the intake temps are high if the temp probe is pre TB 

are you sure your not getting knock retard 

#7 dewismotorsport

dewismotorsport

• Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:22 PM

Tried editing the pic links and they don't change. Could someone fix them somehow? Ah so I'd need a 4.5 to 5 litre tank. I'd have to check the msa blue book but I'm sure all fluids in cabin have to be sealed. On this set up there is no temp sensor pre tb.

#8 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:26 PM

Tried editing the pic links and they don't change. Could someone fix them somehow? Ah so I'd need a 4.5 to 5 litre tank. I'd have to check the msa blue book but I'm sure all fluids in cabin have to be sealed. On this set up there is no temp sensor pre tb.

whats stopping you not putting it in the cabin ??

Edited by CHILL Gone DUTCH, 01 March 2017 - 06:27 PM.

#9 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:32 PM

im struggling to see how the ecu is adding fuel when there is no temp sensor in the inlet to tell the ecu the temp 

im in no doubt the temps will be high but are you sure this is not just the CS way to add a lot of fuel top end

#10 dewismotorsport

dewismotorsport

• Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 07:53 PM

I suppose it could go in the engine bay but tbh space is tight and it's more un wanted weight on front end. Once internal fuel system is in place I could add it inside that box, that's further down the line yet, hoping I won't need the water. Thinking about it the only feeds the ecu gets is from map sensor, cts and lambda. Water temps weren't a issue once larger rad was fitted but still got the cut on track sessions. I use decent oil (gulf competition 15w 50) and run a oil cooler so that wasn't a issue too. So had it down to being high temps. I'm sure it's documented on here, something like 57 degrees C intake temps and you get the map cut

#11 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:01 PM

How ever you look at it without a temp sensor the ecu dosent no it's 57 degrees to retard it If your getting dramatic power cut I would say it's more likely down to knock and cutting ignition and adding fuel because of that maybe if there was a inlet temp sensor (tmap ) things would change before reaching the knock limit

#12 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:02 PM

I would rather fuel to be added and retardation because of inlet temps rather than knock Which will eventually cost you your engine

#13 dewismotorsport

dewismotorsport

• Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:30 PM

It's a weird one because the map is rich, it hits 10's briefly then leans back down the low 11's

#14 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:49 PM

Americans tried this and wasn't very great hopefully you will have better luck

#15 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:18 PM

I'm very curious to your results, but as Joe said it was tried in the US with mixed results...

I'm also with Chill that without a T(MAP) sensor after the SC, your ecu does not know the intake temps and should not be the cause of your issues. However the intake temps will be very high and will make it run richer ands loose power.

I would advise you to install the OBD software and tune the engine properly. And with that you can turn of certain internal safety protections that will hinder you on track.

#16 dewismotorsport

dewismotorsport

• Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:06 PM

I do plan to run either obd tuner or a decent aftermarket management at a later date which like you say can have a better map put on it to suit.

#17 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 03:26 PM

I wonder what a mixture of your manifold mods connected to a chargecooler from the vx turbo (given that we all agree the cc is better than the intercooler on a vx ;) ) If I could have a way of supercharging mine to about 245whp (to keep me under 260whp/ton) and be reliable in a 40+ minute race (or longer given the Birkett) then I would consider it.

#18 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 03:30 PM

I wonder what a mixture of your manifold mods connected to a chargecooler from the vx turbo (given that we all agree the cc is better than the intercooler on a vx ;) ) If I could have a way of supercharging mine to about 245whp (to keep me under 260whp/ton) and be reliable in a 40+ minute race (or longer given the Birkett) then I would consider it.

That's easy obdtuner pro with 100% water injection

#19 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 03:32 PM

So nothing cheap then haha.

#20 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 03:33 PM

I don't no how strict the rules are nowadays with the owner to weigh ratio But maps can be changed a year a switch of a switch nowadays giving more rpm or power So do wonder how this is all policed or is it done on face value

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users