Hi From New Zealand

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 madjohn

madjohn

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:38 PM

I have bought a Opel Speedster about a month ago.

Went to buy a Nissan 370z (2014-2016 NZ new) but came home with a Opel Speedster (2003 Japanese import) instead. Love it. Only two in the country and four VX 220's I think. 

If it wasn't for the bad customer service I got from the car dealers in Auckland I wouldn't even than time to test drive the Opel Speedster. I live 3hr (if I don't speed another story) drive from Auckland and had prearranged to test drive five 370z's in my only day off (work as chef days nights and split shifts). Could sleep the night before so went on Trademe typed in targa top and the Opel speedster popped up. Looked interesting so printed details off and thought if I have time would test drive/joyride. My wide card as looking for NZ new (already had Japanese import Nissan Skylines R31, R32 currently got an S14 Silvia) and later model Nissan sports car.

First test drive was great private sale.

Next test drive was at the main Mercedes dealer in Auckland. Well it wasn't a test drive as the salesman wanted me to sign a purchase agreement before a test drive. As I got back in to my car (Nissan S14 Silvia) I said to him thanks you may have given me time to test drive my wild card.

Left yard and rung up about Opel Speedster. What luck it was on the way back down to Tauranga. Told him that I had three more 370z's to test drive then (should be finished about 4.30pm) would ring if I had time to come and see Opel Speedster.

Lunch then headed to the Main Nissan dealer to test the other three cars.

Well a good 30 minutes of being ignored. Then when I did get some service. New car salesman over heard me (he was selling car at time) asking telephone lady where 2016 car was. He said they expecting me. Asked him where the 2016 car was he said the manager had gone to meeting in it and wont be back. Told him that I was promised that this car would be here. He got used car salesman that I had been dealing with on the phone. Who then made out 2014 car was about to be bought any other dealer (rushed off to get keys and car back). Total lies as I had been 30 minutes looking at this car in their yard. We went for a test drive then when we got back he wouldn't budge on price. Saying another dealer (found out later that they have three other yards) was buying for his own use right now and I had to pay full asking price if I wanted it. Again total lies as the car went on trademe (Ford dealer) again but at their other yard. They own Nissan, Ford and I think Mazda yards in Auckland.

So it was about 3.30pm and no new car but time to spare. So phoned the guy who was sell Opel Speedster for my joyride/test drive. Truth be told was just going to be joyride (as dream car is Porsche 911 not Lotus) but loved it.

One week later back to Auckland and bought the (not a Lotus) Opel Speedster.

Both Dealers watched between $35,000 and $50,000 walk from their yards. But I've got a great big smile on my face now and a very rare car here in New Zealand.

#2 aquilaproejct

aquilaproejct

• PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:09 AM

Congrats mate! Being a Japanese delivered Speedster they are incredibly rare!

#3 madjohn

madjohn

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:12 AM

The other story. I was heading up to Auckland for the British and European car show. The Opel club here had arranged for our cars to be displayed in the Vauxhall dealers site. Had only had Opel Speedster for 23 days got pulled up for speeding. Doing 112kms in a 70km area. 42 km's over the limit is instant loss of licence for 28 days $510 fine and 50 demerit points (only allowed 100 in two years here). Needless to say that I didn't make the show. Although the cop was nice enough to let me drive home (said I could go to show but not drive home) give me 2 hrs to get off road. Got about 18 more days of biking then I'll be back driving (slowing) again. Give me time to sort out cigarette lighter issue. This car does get the looks here people stop me all the time take photos. Not many people know what it is and those that do flip out at seeing one in New Zealand. Love it. Much better than a Nissan and should be cheaper to service than a Porsche.

#4 madjohn

madjohn

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:12 AM

The other story. I was heading up to Auckland for the British and European car show. The Opel club here had arranged for our cars to be displayed in the Vauxhall dealers site. Had only had Opel Speedster for 23 days got pulled up for speeding. Doing 112kms in a 70km area. 42 km's over the limit is instant loss of licence for 28 days $510 fine and 50 demerit points (only allowed 100 in two years here). Needless to say that I didn't make the show. Although the cop was nice enough to let me drive home (said I could go to show but not drive home) give me 2 hrs to get off road. Got about 18 more days of biking then I'll be back driving (slowing) again. Give me time to sort out cigarette lighter issue. This car does get the looks here people stop me all the time take photos. Not many people know what it is and those that do flip out at seeing one in New Zealand. Love it. Much better than a Nissan and should be cheaper to service than a Porsche.

#5 madjohn

madjohn

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:25 AM

Photo of Opel Speedster

Attached Files

#6 madjohn

madjohn

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:29 AM

Got Hardtop and soft top too all in great condition only 36,000 kms when I got it.

#7 madjohn

madjohn

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:40 AM

Online Japanese cars sales has one its $33,000 US dollars (almost $48,000 NZ dollars). I got a deal i think.

#8 aquilaproejct

aquilaproejct

• PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:39 AM

We'll done. As Japanese spec cars they were very very limited annual import. Some subtle differences as well to meet the Japanese requirements

#9 Tonie Pettersson

Tonie Pettersson

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:30 AM

Congrats to the car.

#10 ChippyFA

ChippyFA

• PipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Interests:Throwing money at the Vx

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:21 AM

Lovely car 👍

#11 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:32 AM

welcome to the club

#12 madjohn

madjohn

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for the welcome guys.  

Fixed the lighter issue today. Just a fuse but would never had found it if it wasn't for this site. Thanks.

Aquilaproejct (Never thought I would own a Holden) would like to know more about the differences of Jap spec Opel Speedsters if you have any info. 

Are Vauxhall and Opel's the same or are there differences too? I presume most Opels are left hand drive (my is right hand drive) for the European market.

Also does anyone have specs (drawings) to make a water / rain guard for the engine. 

As I say wasn't looking at buying the Speedster didn't even really know about them. I normally do alot of research before buy anything (spent over a year researching Nissan 370Z's) this was a total wild card. I had gone to Auckland to buy a 2014-16 Nissan 370Z.

So any issues / problems I should look out for?

As it's Japanese (Any) import to New Zealand had to go through compliance (very strict here now) and parts like brake pads and fluids etc must be replaced with NZ spec. Also the guy I bought it off had replaced the cam chain and larger oil injector (said old oil injector was larger size so had already been replaced in Japan) as a precaution.  

After driving the Speedster I knew I had to it. The whole feel of the car was a new experience and when finished the test drive. I pulled the Handbrake on feeling the solid aluminum (not plastic/fake leather) that was the moment that sold (plus my mates son saying that it was to flash for me but I should get it because it's cool) the car to me. 

The Holden Dealer in Tauranga reckon it will cost the same to service as a 2.2 Astra. 

Insurance is about the same as my Nissan Silvia. Which is at least a third of the value and common as muck over here.

The guy I get tires off reckons that they are an odd size. Hope I don't have to much trouble getting tires for it.

#13 Ian59

Ian59

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, Music, Sci-Fi, Cars and driving,.

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:15 PM

Congrats on your purchase, and you won't regret it.

Welcome to the asylum.

Lots of knowledgeable people on here if you want good advice on any vx issues. 

#14 Kieran McC

Kieran McC

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars,Track Days.

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:02 PM

Welcome to the forum ,Nice part of the world you live , My son has been out in Christchurch for the past 2 years

#15 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:02 PM

Yea service costs should be same/cheaper then the 2.2 astra as there is no power steering fluid ect ect Vauxhall and opel are the same, the driver side changed as per the country the vehicle was sold.

#16 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:04 PM

you will have difficulty getting the front tyre size. but others do fit and its worth looking into aftermarket wheels

#17 Harry Hornet

Harry Hornet

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:16 PM

Hiya

Enjoy..the Uk will always help and ship for shortage of parts..just search, ask and beg steal and borrow

...I fancy a holiday down under as the courier  ;)

HH

Edited by Harry Hornet, 15 March 2017 - 08:17 PM.

#18 madjohn

madjohn

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:14 PM

Photo of my car the first night I got it. Taken from a boy racer's 350z. He said that he noticed the taillights and knew exactly what it was. Had to catch me up. As he pulled beside (already going fast) me I changed down a gear and left him.

Attached Files

#19 madjohn

madjohn

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:22 PM

Have also been followed around by alot of high end cars. People taking photos at lights or when I am parked. Even had cops pull up and take photos when I was in a restaurant. Two people approached me to buy it. 

Edited by madjohn, 16 March 2017 - 10:23 PM.

#20 aquilaproejct

aquilaproejct

• PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:58 AM

I had the police pull me over here in Oz and tell me to make sure I keep it locked up at night or else it would be stolen... What would you have to gain stealing such a rare adorable car that has no hope of re-birthing or selling for parts? Odd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users