Photo

If You Were Buying Dedicated Wets For Trackdays ?

trackday wets

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Oldboystoy

Oldboystoy

• Pip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Cars,Football and red wine

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:19 PM

I am about to buy tyres for wet trackdays to go on 16/17 Td's. What is the latest thinking on the best performance for the money. I see Rainsport 3 are well thought of. Is there anything better ? The tyres are unlikely to ever be used on the road

Also I bought my car from a guy who did Formula Palmer Audi for a couple of years and then raced Radicals for a year or two. As part of the deal he included a set of 17inch wheels with Competition Use wets ( Hankook Ventus z210) . The widths of these are 180 front and 200 rear and not the usual 195/225 that he had on his semi slicks.. 

Does it make sense to have narrower tyres for wets ? Certainly better for snow !  He might have bought the wets when the car was on original VXT 17inch and was aiming for close to the same sizes I suppose. Or did he know something I don't. 

I could use the 200 wide on the rears of the Tds and buy some 16inch Hankook fronts (perhaps) for roughly the same price as 4 of the usual sized Rainsport 3's. 

Advice from experience race / trackday goers would be much appreciated.

#2 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:40 PM

I got some wet slicks you can have if you collect them. Never got round to trying tgem

#3 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:41 PM

These http://m.imgur.com/oA0F5XY?r And they are 16/17 sizes too.

Edited by chris_uk, 16 March 2017 - 11:42 PM.

#4 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:07 AM

Narrower tyres are usually better for wet conditions. It increases pressure (just like on snow as you mentioned), also it reduces aquaplaning.

If you want to know how to match the tyre widths, why not weigh your car, find the front & rear axle weights and then proportion the widths of the tyres to match. Bear in mind this might affect braking (specifically the bias).

Edited by Nev, 17 March 2017 - 09:12 AM.

#5 Oldboystoy

Oldboystoy

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:01 PM

Narrower tyres are usually better for wet conditions. It increases pressure (just like on snow as you mentioned), also it reduces aquaplaning.

If you want to know how to match the tyre widths, why not weigh your car, find the front & rear axle weights and then proportion the widths of the tyres to match. Bear in mind this might affect braking (specifically the bias).

Thanks for your response. Weight distribution is close to 36%:64% Fr:Rr. from memory. So some very narrow fronts required ? Presumably I would need to fit brake bias control for changing from wet to dry tyres.

#6 Oldboystoy

Oldboystoy

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:02 PM

I got some wet slicks you can have if you collect them. Never got round to trying tgem

These http://m.imgur.com/oA0F5XY?r And they are 16/17 sizes too.

PM on its way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users