MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:21 PM

Following two others users I've talked to who like me have found the Dutch software user hostile (its aimed at tuners not normal people!), I was asked to pass on the simplistic notes I always used when mapping fuel, ignition etc.

Just in case there of any use to anyone else, here they are -

[font="arial, sans-serif;"]Learning fuel maps[/font]

[font="arial, sans-serif;"]NOTE. Never drive for more than 15-20 minutes. Often , even though the EML light has been flashing as if its learning, sometimes the software simply locks up when you click on read ecu to pc, or just sits with an egg timer going and you've wasted all that drive and mileage.[/font]

[font="arial, sans-serif;"]Never also be tempted to cursor along looking at the results of the fuel learning percentages (the green parts) as it processes the measurements, as if you accidentally click the mouse or touch that screen in any way (or even look at it funny), it locks up and you've wasted your time again. I think that in the hundreds of miles and many, many, many fuelling/ignition learning runs I've done, I've on average wasted about 40% of my time and it really does not make you a happy bunny when it happens.[/font]

[font="arial, sans-serif;"](Note, I found that you can shut the laptop doing this option).[/font]

[font="arial, sans-serif;"]Connect laptop.[/font]

[font="arial, sans-serif;"]Open up OBDtuner[/font]

[font="arial, sans-serif;"]Turn ignition on[/font]

[font="arial, sans-serif;"]Select Learn Mode (under main menu), select  LEARN MAIN FUEL TABLE (or Ignition_knock)[/font]

[font="arial, sans-serif;"]Go for drive.[/font]

[color=#FF0000;][font="arial, sans-serif;"]On return,[/color][/font][font="arial, sans-serif;"] [color=#FF0000;]DO NOT TURN IGNITION OFF[/color][/font]

[font="arial, sans-serif;"]Select -       ECU    -      Read ECU to PC[/font]

[font="arial, sans-serif;"]click on       Measurement [/font]

[font="arial, sans-serif;"]click on       Process measurements - OK  (Be patient it takes ages)[/font]

[font="arial, sans-serif;"]Save. Give name i.e  date_ON_CAR_4.smp (this option of saving comes up at different times, almost randomly)[/font]

[font="arial, sans-serif;"]Select -   ECU -    Make calibration permanent      YES  ([color=#FF0000;]IMPORTANT[/color][/font]. [color=#FF0000;]Cars engine will stall when its done (if your just ticking over), which at least makes you aware it really has done something[/color][color=#FF0000;]).[/color]

[font="arial, sans-serif;"]Turn ignition off.  Heave a sigh of relief, as for once you haven't just driven a load of miles revving the nuts of your car for another lost session.[/font]

[font="arial, sans-serif;"]Making a log file[/font]

[font="arial, sans-serif;"]Connect laptop and open OBDtuner[/font]

[font="arial, sans-serif;"]Turn on ignition[/font]

[font="arial, sans-serif;"]Under logging, choose Start Logging[/font]

[font="arial, sans-serif;"]OBD tuner will synchronise then start logging. [/font][font="arial, sans-serif;"]Check its working by selecting RPM under logging.[/font]

[color=#FF0000;][font="arial, sans-serif;"]On return, select Stop logging (under logging)[/color][/font]

[font="arial, sans-serif;"]Under logging, [color=#FF0000;]save logged file.[/color][/font]

[font="arial, sans-serif;"](Note, I found that you cannot shut the laptop doing this option).[/font]

#2 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:32 PM

Nice, always handy to share tips. thumbsup

#3 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:36 PM

Just pop a saab lump in there with OBD tuner...surely its all straightforward right ?  :D

#4 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:36 PM

not sure about the 20 minute comment martin are you sure this is not your laptop going in to some kind of sleep setting ?? energy saving 

you have struggled more than most Martin 

look on the bright side at least you didnt opt for a mbr standalone system, has anyone actually got one of these working yet 

i have been very surprised with the amount of questions about doing these simple tasks as it all in the instruction 

#5 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:24 PM

i have been very surprised with the amount of questions about doing these simple tasks as it all in the instruction 

I think it's up to the community here to create very simple picture driven guides, breaking down each step after receiving the ecu back from Peter.

I see the same in the speedsterclub. Some people very good with spanners, but the laptop scares them.

I also think the manual is a very technical writeup.

Edited by smiley, 17 March 2017 - 07:27 PM.

#6 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:27 PM

(its aimed at tuners not normal people!)

Au contraire. I've yet to find a tuner that will touch it as it's too simple and doesn't give them the level of direct control they want/like.

#7 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:30 PM

(its aimed at tuners not normal people!)

Au contraire. I've yet to find a tuner that will touch it as it's too simple and doesn't give them the level of direct control they want/like.

Give CS a ring and ask them  :tt:

they will be more than happy to do it for you

#8 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:13 PM

Not done a fuel learn for ages, did a 30 min drive looked at measurements and it was empty? Thought it must of had a moment and so processed the measurements and all seemed good, checked the map and it was basically unchanged. Then I remembered I think I need to download to PC first oops! So note to self make sure you remember you check the the process be it your first time or your 20th time especially if you haven't been through the process for 12 months. Never had the process not work or freeze in many times if done correctly. I use an old netbook running xp so it may be the newer win 10 laptops that it has issues with?

#9 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:17 PM

I do a constant 60 to 90 min drive when i fuel learn, regulary press f5 to see what ive done and where needs concentrating on.. never had a problem personally.

#10 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:15 PM

I'd suggest the 15-20 mins limit is to avoid engine damage rather than data quality

#11 Chris P Duck

Chris P Duck

I can change this?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:30 PM

I do a constant 60 to 90 min drive when i fuel learn, regulary press f5 to see what ive done and where needs concentrating on.. never had a problem personally.

Snap, never had OBD tuner lock up ever, during a fuel learn or otherwise. Is it possible your laptop, adapter, OBD port could have an intermittent issue.

#12 TFD

TFD

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:29 PM

If you don't know how an engine/ecu works, it is allways hard to tune an ecu correctly no matter what program you use.

OBD-tuner is like the my-first-sony for ecu tuning, can't make it any more simplictic then that I think. All the self learning stuff on it is great to get people started/going.

Correct, not all is available (in Pro it's getting beter I've read), but non the less a great tool. Manual is sometimes a bit technical but that is what you can expect for something ehh.. Technical I guess  :rolleyes:

Never had any issues with laptop or anything  :unsure:

#13 MartinS

MartinS

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

When doing power runs, what weights are you lot using and wheel circumference?

Think it would be interesting to see as this obviously affects what figures you think the car is outputting.

I have been working on the basis of -

Weight 930kg plus my weight (I figured that's the weight given for a tubby, so if you take an na, add the sc, extra rad, coolant, charge cooler tank and pipes etc that it must be close).

Wheel circumference of 1925 (R888's)

Both myself and Sutol found that following rolling road checks, the OBD tuner software, closely matched them.

Martin S

Edited by MartinS, 18 March 2017 - 11:15 AM.

#14 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:19 AM

my car weighs exactly 900 kg and im 100kg so generally its a 1000kg i put in the software this can change slightly with fuel levels 

#15 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:24 AM

Posted Image

As for tire size

When you measure the rear circumference make sure your tires are evenly pumped up around 30 psi

And soften your shocks of

Edited by CHILL Gone DUTCH, 18 March 2017 - 11:25 AM.

#16 MartinS

MartinS

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:31 PM

Seems most of my runs I had it set at 980kg, so as I'm also 100kg I need to raise that number a bit. I went with 930kg as that's what a tubby is with fuel according to most sites and had assumed with the extra sc, manifold, coolant tank, extra rad and liquids we must be near that, surprised its just 900kg. How much fuel was in the tank?

Cars running great so figured I'd do a couple of power runs now to see what its doing at the mo and wanted to get these accurate.

Martin S

#17 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:50 PM

I had a little over half a tank Seems a shame to sell now martin

#18 MartinS

MartinS

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:11 AM

I agree Chris, Vinnie is feeling great and having driven back to back with the Exige, you can feel that the vx is set up absolutely right and quick, but, I've had it 14 years and only have a garage for one so think its time to move on. Will miss it a lot though.

Martin

#19 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:10 PM

martin i have a few one word questions for you 

which car would you jump in for the following scenario 

1. popping to the shops 

2. long distance cruise 

3. going to goodwood 

4. going the vx national 

5. going zandvoort next year 

#20 MartinS

MartinS

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:54 AM

Mini

Exige

Exige (Going to Goodwood, VX on track at Goodwood)

VX

Exige (going) VX on track.

Martin S

But, I have hardly driven the Exige properly still and that order may well change notably once I have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users